What's new

Asylum RX owners

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For me it has the most shallow angle of any razor I own. By shallow I mean parallel to my face.
That is what I suspected, given the built-in shave angle. I asked because I watched some youtubers hold it in the exact opposite way. One held the razor at such a shallow angle that the blade was essentially inverted!

That is what I suspected, given the built-in shave angle. I asked because I watched some youtubers hold it in the exact opposite way. One held the razor at such a shallow angle that the blade was essentially inverted!

CzechCzar, my friend, I suggest strongly that you keep the handle perpendicular to your face (aka, the "shallow" angle). The blade then has a very shallow angle to your face, which has the blade focusing on cutting, rather than scraping. Just my $.02.

P.S. In my experience, some DE razors benefit from a steep, scraping angle. For me, no SE razor works well with a steep angle.

A shallow angle works well for me.

However, keep in mind that the blade on the Asylum Rx is presented at more of a downward angle relative to the handle than most SE's.

proxy.php

Above, the blade angle is compared to an ATT SE1.

As a result, the apparent angle (meaning handle relative to the face) may seem a little more steep than with other razors.

I find the angle to be fairly intuitive, but YMMV.

--Bob

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Got the razor on Saturday, first shave Sunday. First shave was with Kai Pink blades, at a steep angle. DFS at best in three passes. Switched to Feather Pros on Monday and Tuesday. Great feedback, zero irritation, but still DFS/SAS at best. I could not figure out what was wrong. This morning, after two passes, I felt my face and there was tons of stubble. This is meant to be a great razor; why am I getting such lousy shaves?

So, I switched to a shallow angle, like I would use with a Feather AS-D2. Quick third pass. One of the smoothest shaves of my life. Zero irritation. Because I am used to an iKon Tech, shaving with this thing is a breeze. Not cut myself yet, and the razor is so forgiving I don’t really think I could. It got me, in one pass, as close as my iKon Tech, sans the redness and irritation that sometimes follow use of the Tech.

I really wish I wasn’t in an annual restraint!!

I am in my first week of using the asylum Rx (with a feather pro blade) and I can just say 'wow'. This is just a different level of shaving. Smooth and every time BBS. Mind you, I have a sensitive skin which is why I switched to traditional wet shaving in the first place, so when I read initially about the Rx, I wasn't sure it would be something for me (beyond the curiosity of trying). I can only warmly recommend. Just wondering if I will ever go back to my DE razors I enjoyed a lot so far - that's the real danger with this beauty.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

For me it has the most shallow angle of any razor I own. By shallow I mean parallel to my face.

Just noticed my comment, which is incorrect. Must have had a moment of dyslexia. Thanks gents for correcting me. I meant to say the RX has a shallow angle and should be fairly perpendicular to your face...not parallel. It does have the most shallow angle of my razors and it always takes me a moment to reacquaint myself with this razor if I haven’t used it in a while.

I just purchased an Asylum RX this past week. I’ve had two shaves so far. I wanted to thank everyone for their observations as they are really helping me dial in the razor. I’m using the Feather Pro-Guards to start. I read in another thread that several folks recommended a steep angle (handle parallel to the face) so I tried that on my first shave. It didn’t seem to work well for me and also seemed counterintuitive as you are scraping the hair off as opposed to cutting it. So on the second shave I went with a more shallow angle as you folks recommend on this thread and that seems to work much better for me.

I just bought one of these beauties!! Looking forward to getting it. So, to clear up the confusion once and for all, do we want the handle parallel (closer to the face) or perpendicular (farther from the face)? Thanks!

PS- will this razor work with the Schick Proline blades?

!!!!
Thanks
What blade would you recommend for a newbie?

New to the Rx as well--about 10 shaves in. I've had decent luck with a Feather ProGuard, but I'm not sure that the guard is actually doing anything. My advice from very limited experience is that a very light touch is key--the AC blades are sharp and the Rx does not provide a lot of safeguards. Also, maintaining a shallow angle is important (with the handle more perpendicular to the face). The head design has a built-in angle which is getting easier to maintain with practice. I actually think there are a lot of similarities between the Rx and a straight.

Good luck--I had some bloody shaves to start, but it's getting better. I think it's a super cool razor.

SOTD 6.18.18.JPG

Top Bottom