What's new

Asylum Injector Razor Mini-review

The Asylum AC razor has been on the market for a while, but this injector blade version is brand new. It has the same styling as its larger sibling and is constructed of 316L steel. It is not an injector, but a three piece design. Bullgoose recommend the Schick Proline blades but I loaded a regular Schick blade purchased at my local pharmacy. Loading was way less fiddly that I thought it would be. In fact it was so easy that I got it right on the first try. The fit and finish on the exterior of this razor is excellent. Inside the top cap there are some grey areas, which may clean off. Since they are under the hood, they don't bother me. These are areas that are going to eventually show wear anyway. The razor comes in a small cardboard box with foam lining and I found no instructions or warranty card. Three piece razors being what they are, I'm not sure printed intructions are really needed.

20220712_072039.jpg

This US made razor is on the heavy side compared to most Schick injectors coming in at 99 grams and that was evident during the shave. I gave myself a three pass shave this morning using TOBS cream and my usual Proraso White pre-shave cream. The WTG and XTG passes felt good and the weight of the razor wasn't noticeable. On the ATG, south-north pass the razor felt heavy. I usually hold the razor between forefingers and thumb and the head felt heavy and unbalanced. As far as cutting goes, it felt like a Schick against my skin. Which Schick? That's hard, but maybe between a G and an I.

20220712_072615.jpg

Razor: Asylum Shave Works Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf
Aftershave: Shannon's Soaps Indigo Oud Aftershave Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Very nice looking razor. It would be nice to see the front side and taken apart to see more details of this razor if you don't mind. I like this eye candy razor for some reason. Thanks for sharing your new razor!

"Since we switched manufacturing processes to precision metal injection, the possibilities were endless." - Asylum Shave Works

This metal injection process appears to produce a very classy razor and work for fine tolerances. Maybe a bit too classy for my usual injector price point! I was lucky to receive my Mingoose as a spontaneous PIF.

The Proline B blades are practically required for the Mingoose, which doesn't protect from the sharp corners of standard Schick blades. They apparently noticed that issue when designing the Asylum.

I don't know why, but I have always wanted a three piece Injector razor. I knew the thing was going to be heavy before I bought it, so I am willing to live with that.

The other issue for me is that they do not make a stand for it. The base is 5/8 of an inch in diameter, so just any stand won't do. I found one on Amazon that may work, I'll let you know.

Interesting razor. I guess it uses injector-style blades, but isn't really an injector at all, right? I mean, because the blade isn't actually "injected."

Still, a cool idea.

For me, a no-go, though. I have become accustomed to AC-style blades and actually have learned to prefer the extra width the AC format offers. This razor might be great for somebody whose only problem with AC razors was that they prefer a narrower blade. In fact, I'd bet that is their expected customer base.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
She's a looker. If they made one in Aluminum I might bite. SS is too heavy for injectors IMO.

I have tried the new, but have went back to rockin' my E.

I had the Asylum Rx AC-blade razor for a short stretch several years ago. Too aggressive for my preferences.

If Phil ever makes a Ti version of this injector, I'd give it a whirl, but without even trying, I'm pretty darn certain SS (99 grams, right?) is weighier than I'd prefer for an injector. YMMV of course.

I ordered one shortly after Whiterook posted and started this thread. It arrived very quickly, 3 days I think, and my first 2 shaves were more aggressive than what I liked. Then I noticed something in a photo I had taken to post in my Journal.
20220719_224034.jpg
I didn't notice this immediately, as it can be hard to see at certain angles.
top 2 not seen.jpg

Closer inspection showed it more disturbingly clear to the eye.
bent 2.jpg inside 1.jpg

I emailed the vendor and was assured a replacement was on its way! Phil responded to my email within an hour and the replacement arrived just as promptly as the first.
7_25 underside.jpg

Yesterday I shaved with it and the blade from the first and had an awesome shave! Many thanks for the great customer care to Phil at Bull Goose!
7_25 sotd.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Interesting razor. I guess it uses injector-style blades, but isn't really an injector at all, right? I mean, because the blade isn't actually "injected."

Still, a cool idea.
I believe that this should be referred to as the "Asylum Injector blade Razor" rather than the "Asylum Injector Razor" because it is NOT an Injector Razor.
I was, and I'm sure others may be, confused about the name - thinking it was an Injector Razor.
This is an important distinction for those considering a purchase.

I believe that this should be referred to as the "Asylum Injector blade Razor" rather than the "Asylum Injector Razor" because it is NOT an Injector Razor.
I was, and I'm sure others may be, confused about the name - thinking it was an Injector Razor.
This is an important distinction for those considering a purchase.
Agree, but Asylum Injector is the name used in the Bullgoose website. Asylum might want to consider that name change.

"Bullgoose recommend the Schick Proline blades but I loaded a regular Schick blade purchased at my local pharmacy."

I thought the Schick Proline blades were all AC length?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There's a real injector length blade B-20 maybe - in the Proline. Same issue as the longer ones, they don't arrived in a real injector with a key .. so you need to do some extra ..

There's a real injector length blade B-20 maybe - in the Proline. Same issue as the longer ones, they don't arrived in a real injector with a key .. so you need to do some extra ..
Correct, the Asylum injector blade razor ships with a cartridge of Schick Proline B-20 blades. The AC ones are Proline P-30s.
I tried the Proline B-20 in the Asylum when I received it and found that I prefer the sChick blades I get on Amazon better. I will retry the B-20s later. But given the manner in which the Asylum loads the injector blade, you don't need the injector key.

I have read that some guys take an empty injector cartridge and carefully load B-20 blades into it so that they can then inject the B-20 into a Schick injector razor. Given my great manual dexterity, I am sure I'd need a trip to the Emergency Room if I tried that!

Top Bottom