What's new

Astra vs Feather

Razor RR Game Changer Stainless with .82 Baseplate

For the past few months I've replaced the Feather with the Astra. The first shave with Astra I've had to make an effort when applying the razor to avoid nicking my face. In subsequent shaves with the Astra no problem. It seems that the first shave the blade is very aggressive but as time goes on the blade hones itself further and gives a DFS+ shave. The Astra outlasts the Feather. I get at least six or seven shaves with it whereas I get only four shaves with the Feather. The Feather does, indeed, give me a BBS shave that's very pleasing.

One of the notable features of Astra SP for me is that it seems to hold an edge comparatively longer than other blades. It ain't the sharpest, but it's sharp enough. Feathers are significantly sharper out of the pack but degrade more quickly.

We aren't alone in this view. The data at refinedshave.com tends to corroborate this viewpoint.

If only we knew what gave the Astras their impressive longevity...although now they are moved to India I have no idea if the current production share that property with the PPI blades.

The old astra SP was always a meh blade for me. Borderline dull, and on top of that odd weepers were guaranteed.
I couldn't care less that they are now replaced. The old Astra SS was much better, sharper and just as smooth.

Which Astra, the SS or SP? The SS blades shave a bit better for me. Not a big fan of the SP blades, though. Cost is about the same or sometimes slightly less for the SS version. The SP seems to be very popular.

One of the notable features of Astra SP for me is that it seems to hold an edge comparatively longer than other blades. It ain't the sharpest, but it's sharp enough. Feathers are significantly sharper out of the pack but degrade more quickly.

We aren't alone in this view. The data at refinedshave.com tends to corroborate this viewpoint.

If only we knew what gave the Astras their impressive longevity...although now they are moved to India I have no idea if the current production share that property with the PPI blades.
On the package it states Astra Superior Platinum made in Russia.

Well, a blade only needs to be sharp enough to cut smoothly. Depending on your whiskers, maybe the Astra SP is sharp enough. For some other people, the Astra SP struggles. The Feather blades are a lot sharper, but lose their sharpness more quickly. It's the way the Feather's edge is ground.

I don't get good shaves with my Feather typically. It works ok in some of my razors, but it's not smooth at all for my skin. I'm not sure if I received a bad sleeve of Feathers, but they generally tug for me. Astra SP I always get BBS shaves and they are usually smooth for 6-7 face and head shaves. Typically my favorite blades are Astra SP, Nacets, and Gillette Platinum. I also get great shaves from perma sharp, persona comfort coated, and GSB.

Blades truly are YMMV.

Feathers are great blades but for me only good for 2-3 and done so not worth the cost factor. I use a DE because of the cost of cartridge razors and as a side note I found a blade that works but it's a one and done that fits my reasoning. I'd love to have a good blade to get more than 3-4 shaves, Astras didn't feel right to me after trying a few but everyone is different.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Few things are more YMMV than blades, but I don't find these two blades a very close comparison. I have the SPs and don't find them particularly smooth, but they are a fine blade for the price and many people like them.

Feathers are expensive because of the price and the poor longevity, but if you need that level of sharpness they are no doubt worth every penny. I think Med Preps, GSB or Wizamets would be a better alternative to Astra - I find them smoother with excellent longevity. But whatever works for you is excellent - even better if it's inexpensive.

My blade knowledge and experience is on the shallow side but I can say that I have not liked Feather Blades in any razor I have tried them in so far and prefer the Astra SP over a Feather all day. That said I am sure there are better and I am still experimenting. Will even keep trying the Feather in new razors. Mostly because I still have a few tucks, but these are the closest I have come to writing off a blade so far.

The

Astras that are now made in India, how do they compare with mine - made in Russia?
I did a review of them yesterday, here is the topic:

Feathers are expensive because of the price and the poor longevity, but if you need that level of sharpness they are no doubt worth every penny. I think Med Preps, GSB or Wizamets would be a better alternative to Astra - I find them smoother with excellent longevity. But whatever works for you is excellent - even better if it's inexpensive.
YMMV but Feathers last a long, I get 18-20+ shaves out of one Feather. I could get more shaves from one blade. For me the Feathers are the cheapest blade. Astra SP's work very well for me, but I get 3-4 shaves out of one blade. IMHO Feathers are the better blades. I also love the Permasharps, they're smoother compared to the Astra SP and I get more shaves with one blade, around 8 shaves. I read on the internet that the Wizamets are better than the Permasharps, I got 750 of them and the next time when I shave I will give them a try.

I want to add that the Indian Astra SP is the same blade as the Russian Astra SP. I shaved with one yesterday and I couldn't notice anything different.

For me, Feathers provide 3-4 good shaves, and are very ‘unforgiving’ of any lapse in technique.

In contrast, Astra SP provide 7-10 close, comfortable shaves!! But that’s for me, YMMV . :popc:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I did a review of them yesterday, here is the topic:

YMMV but Feathers last a long, I get 18-20+ shaves out of one Feather. I could get more shaves from one blade. For me the Feathers are the cheapest blade.
Wow, lucky you. I get two good shaves from a Feather and sometimes push it to three. I think this is the first time I've read of anyone getting a ton of shaves from a Feather. I agree - they're very cheap for you.

Wow, lucky you. I get two good shaves from a Feather and sometimes push it to three. I think this is the first time I've read of anyone getting a ton of shaves from a Feather. I agree - they're very cheap for you.
For me and my fairly tough beard, I can get 14 3-pass shaves out of a feather. I could probably get more if I didn't have other blades I wanted to try.

I think that prep is one of the keys to blade longevity. I prep the old fashioned way, that Gillette recommended a century ago - 3 minutes of face lathering.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For me and my fairly tough beard, I can get 14 3-pass shaves out of a feather. I could probably get more if I didn't have other blades I wanted to try.

I think that prep is one of the keys to blade longevity. I prep the old fashioned way, that Gillette recommended a century ago - 3 minutes of face lathering.
Ah, if only it were that easy. My prep with a shower where I keep my face constantly wet and then face lathering only produces 2 reliable shaves with a Feather. I have gone 3, but that 9th pass is always a disappointment. But I can't get 14 shaves from any blade. My best is 8, and even then 7 would have been the better choice.

Top Bottom