What's new

Astra Superior Stainless (PPI) Old vs New

astra ss old vs new.jpg

Here we go with the next comparison older vs new 2017 PPI blades. Both are PPI. Astra Superior Stainless. Old double wrapped packaging. Has been bought July 2012 (left). On the right is a new pack stating 10/20 and has ©2017. Laser etched inscriptions on the blade.

This one took me quite some time. Only brand new blades are compared in the same razor on two consecutive days. With that razor the brush, cream and even aftershave stay the same. I actually needed to try 6 blades in 3 razors just to be absolutely sure. I don't want to tell you unreliable conclusions. The razors used were Pearl SSH-02S OC, The Shave Factory adjustable and finally Ikon Shavecraft Short Comb (2 shaves with each respectively, only new blades).

These blades are not the same. Closeness of shave is the same, but the old double wrapped ones are a tad rougher and leave me with some light irritation for a few hours. Those who don't have very sensitive skin might not notice a difference, especially since closeness of shaving and sharpness are the same. But then again, there are people on the board who will not find a difference between a Feather and a Dorco.

Since closeness is the same, my preference is clearly for the new ones. But we are now waiting for the Indian made ones, right? :lol:

P.S. The old Czechoslovakian made Astra Superior Stainless are even rougher than the 2012 blades.

Last edited:
@ivan_101 Hi :001_cool: Thanks for making this comparison, I've always preferred Astra Blue, the Green gives me irritations.
I don't have a particular preference for green or blue. Both are middle of the road. There are worse, there are better blades.
Always wondered why Gillette even bothered to make the Astras in the Russian plant. Mind you Astras were never very popular in Eastern bloc countries during the 80s. We haven't even heard about them back then. Polisilvers were sold all over. They even invented a third model at PPI. Astra KeramiK (yes, this is the korrekt spelling.) It failed gloriously.

My good guess is Gillette needed to have models in the lower price segment. These are 9-10EUR in some European countries.

Astras are a great 'defining' blade for me as the cut-off point for blades in my collection. They work perfectly well for me, and the price point is great. So if a blade isn't as good as an Astra for my shaves I don't use it.

So shave better than an Astra ( SP specifically ) to be considered for my rotation.

I'll have to check the dates on mine to see what vintages I have. I randomly restock when I see them for a good deal on Amazon so I have a mixture of purchase dates stretching back to the early 2010s.

** Note: These are not my favorite blades by far. They just work well in the majority of my razors and do so at a fabulous price.

Astras are a great 'defining' blade for me as the cut-off point for blades in my collection. They work perfectly well for me, and the price point is great. So if a blade isn't as good as an Astra for my shaves I don't use it.

So shave better than an Astra ( SP specifically ) to be considered for my rotation.

I'll have to check the dates on mine to see what vintages I have. I randomly restock when I see them for a good deal on Amazon so I have a mixture of purchase dates stretching back to the early 2010s.

** Note: These are not my favorite blades by far. They just work well in the majority of my razors and do so at a fabulous price.
PPI started stamping dates on packs only in 2016.

Top Bottom