What's new

Astra SS or SP?

Same blade. One coated, the other uncoated

In theory the PTFE coated blade "should" be smoother but the uncoated "should" feel sharper (at least for the first few shaves anyway).

I have multiple cartons of both blades and use them regularly but with so many different brands of blades around casa Mick, some times "regularly" can be only once or twice a year.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

In theory the PTFE coated blade "should" be smoother but the uncoated "should" feel sharper (at least for the first few shaves anyway).

I have multiple cartons of both blades and use them regularly but with so many different brands of blades around casa Mick, some times "regularly" can be only once or twice a year.

proxy.php
You have it bad my friend.

My SP packs arrived Tuesday. Of course I had to hop on a plane Tuesday before the mail arrived, so I will have to shave with one when I get home after my current blade is done.

FarmerTan

My SP packs arrived Tuesday. Of course I had to hop on a plane Tuesday before the mail arrived, so I will have to shave with one when I get home after my current blade is done.
And I thought my job was tuff.... don't forget to see how the 2 compare to each other, and post your opinion!

Used an SS for its 5th shave tonight. Very good results loaded into my favorite Tech. I’ll do at least 10 shaves with it...But I want to add a couple hundred more blades to my stash. Not sure which brand... but good deals thru Amazon Prime. Even Sharpedge Yellows we’re under 13 bucks per hundred last time I checked. I’ll choose between those and the Astras.... seems like all Petersburg products are decent to say the least.

I tried to quote all of the folks on this thread that said they prefer the SS, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Being ADD, I even forgot I was the one that started the thread! Yikes! Maybe that's why I liked it so much? Any way, of all of you that like either Astra, how do you think it compares to the Gillette Silver Blue? The GSB is the blade I compare all others to, so when my first shave with the SS was an awesome one, I was amazed. So since I recently realized I started this thread, i figured I could ask an additional question or two.... Do any of you get a better second shave than a first out of a GSB? Is that the case for you with the SS, or not? Am I the weirdest member on B&B? Thanks especially to @Highspeedlane for the PIF I won of 50 GSB's right about when I stopped being a lurker and became the unofficial weirdest member of B&B.

Come visit with the BOSC...LOL

Used an SS for its 5th shave tonight. Very good results loaded into my favorite Tech. I’ll do at least 10 shaves with it...But I want to add a couple hundred more blades to my stash. Not sure which brand... but good deals thru Amazon Prime. Even Sharpedge Yellows we’re under 13 bucks per hundred last time I checked. I’ll choose between those and the Astras.... seems like all Petersburg products are decent to say the least.

I've never cared much for Russian blades in general, but I do have to say that for some reason, Techs really shine with Astras. I am currently using an Astra SS in a late model Brit Tech, and getting really nice shaves out of that combo. This Brit Tech is somewhat picky on blades, and the Astra SS is the best I've tried in it.

proxy.php

Same score for both and I get an equally close & almost as comfortable shave with either blade. Difference for me is the Platinum seems to break in more quickly for a new blade to loose its tugginess

I prefer SS by the tiniest of margins. SP blades feel just a skosh sharper for the first shave. After that they feel the same but SS lasts a shave or two longer; 11 or 12 shaves vs SP with 9 or 10.

proxy.php

‘Great summary!’ (Two excellent blades IMHO!)

FarmerTan

‘Great summary!’ (Two excellent blades IMHO!)
Yes, thanks @Mick , I didn't know this. I wonder why I like the SS better? It's just more comfortable and lasts longer for my varying mileage face. Weird.

Yes, thanks @Mick , I didn't know this. I wonder why I like the SS better? It's just more comfortable and lasts longer for my varying mileage face. Weird.

Once the coating wears off they should (in theory) feel the same.

When I shaved over 100 times with a multi-coated NOS Wilkie, I noticed the "disappearance" of each coating layer until it became a normal stainless blade.

I believe I even posted a few microscope shots of the blade as it progressed through the "wear" process.

So. How far would YOU go?

I should have kept using that blade but one day (after 100 shaves) I look at and thought "What am I doing? I've wasted almost 1/3 of a year of my life on that stupid blade. Time to get back to enjoying my blade collection". So out it went with little fanfare.

It's been 4 years since then and I've not unwrapped another of those blades.

SP for me. They were my first 100 pack purchase, but I value smoothness over just about everything. YMMV

Top Bottom