What's new

Astra SS or SP?

Extensive blade reviews on another shaving site rated the Astra SS a bit higher than the average rating of the SP.
Found a deal a 50-lot of SS, tried them, liked them, and have not considered trying the SP. Have at least three
other blades in lots of 100 to work through.

I like the SS the most. Overall they’re probably my favorite blade. They’re smooth, Sharp, long lasting and very inexpensive. If I could start my blade stash all over again I would only use them. But I have other good blades that I paid more for so I use them in rotation.

Astra SPs have gave me consistantly DFS,..SPs are my choice. The Astra SS is a very close second though, both excellent blades at avery reasonable cost.

I am having a lot of success with Astra SP, broke my personal record of 13 shaves and the blade has still life in it.

Would someone recommend me a reliable seller online with good prices on the SP type?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
SP. Goes in all my razors, always lasts a decent amount of shaves. If I want Smooth I go GSB.

I prefer the SS which delivers good shaves in my Rockwell 6c on R4. For some reason the SP and I don't get along - it can leap out and bite me unexpectedly, cause neck irritation and only lasts for two good(ish) shaves. This may change when I try it again, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

I have, use, and enjoy both equally.

SS. The SP tugs a little but overall still not a bad blade.

The Astra SP was my first 100 blade purchase. I have not purchased any more.
A few months ago I purchased 400 SS. The SS just seems smoother and it seems that shave last longer.

Extensive blade reviews on another shaving site rated the Astra SS a bit higher than the average rating of the SP.
Found a deal a 50-lot of SS, tried them, liked them, and have not considered trying the SP. Have at least three
other blades in lots of 100 to work through.

I like the SS the most. Overall they’re probably my favorite blade. They’re smooth, Sharp, long lasting and very inexpensive. If I could start my blade stash all over again I would only use them. But I have other good blades that I paid more for so I use them in rotation.
I tried to quote all of the folks on this thread that said they prefer the SS, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Being ADD, I even forgot I was the one that started the thread! Yikes! Maybe that's why I liked it so much? Any way, of all of you that like either Astra, how do you think it compares to the Gillette Silver Blue? The GSB is the blade I compare all others to, so when my first shave with the SS was an awesome one, I was amazed. So since I recently realized I started this thread, i figured I could ask an additional question or two.... Do any of you get a better second shave than a first out of a GSB? Is that the case for you with the SS, or not? Am I the weirdest member on B&B? Thanks especially to @Highspeedlane for the PIF I won of 50 GSB's right about when I stopped being a lurker and became the unofficial weirdest member of B&B.

"Do any of you get a better second shave than a first out of a GSB?"
Yes indeed. It happens with other blades as well - the Wilkinson Sword (German) springs to mind.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"Do any of you get a better second shave than a first out of a GSB?"
Yes indeed. It happens with other blades as well - the Wilkinson Sword (German) springs to mind.
Never tried that one, think I may have one somewhere. I've wondered how many folks have tossed a perfectly fine blade after one shave?

I tried to quote all of the folks on this thread that said they prefer the SS, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Being ADD, I even forgot I was the one that started the thread! Yikes! Maybe that's why I liked it so much? Any way, of all of you that like either Astra, how do you think it compares to the Gillette Silver Blue? The GSB is the blade I compare all others to, so when my first shave with the SS was an awesome one, I was amazed. So since I recently realized I started this thread, i figured I could ask an additional question or two.... Do any of you get a better second shave than a first out of a GSB? Is that the case for you with the SS, or not? Am I the weirdest member on B&B? Thanks especially to @Highspeedlane for the PIF I won of 50 GSB's right about when I stopped being a lurker and became the unofficial weirdest member of B&B.

I was in the SP camp.

Astra SP has a sharper feel to GSB, but GSB is a much smoother shave in general. I love them both, they both go in any razor for me; I only bought the SP 100 ct. because it was cheaper.

For me neither the SP or GSB need any initial shaves to “calm” the edge. They are consistent and keep their respective feel until nearly the end of their edge life.

Boy howdy, I've used the heck out of both because of the quality:price ratio. Performance is good to great in almost every razor I've tried. Besides that, the barbed wire that grows on my face in lieu of whiskers can't tell the difference between the green and blue. Another thing I like about them is how close they feel to be to Asco oranges.

This thread is a great illustration of YMMV, especially with blades! Definitely part of the fun IMHO!

I was in the SP camp.

Astra SP has a sharper feel to GSB, but GSB is a much smoother shave in general. I love them both, they both go in any razor for me; I only bought the SP 100 ct. because it was cheaper.

For me neither the SP or GSB need any initial shaves to “calm” the edge. They are consistent and keep their respective feel until nearly the end of their edge life.

I used to have the not-very-scientific opinion that GSBs were maybe 10-20% better than the Astra SPs, but the GSBs cost twice as much. Now I think they may only be that much better for the first half-dozen shaves or so, but can't push them past 12 like I can Astra SPs and I have to toss them.
Like I said though, it's not from any serious double-blind research trials.

I used to have the not-very-scientific opinion that GSBs were maybe 10-20% better than the Astra SPs, but the GSBs cost twice as much. Now I think they may only be that much better for the first half-dozen shaves or so, but can't push them past 12 like I can Astra SPs and I have to toss them.
Like I said though, it's not from any serious double-blind research trials.

Yes, they don’t seem to last as long, I just greatly appreciate their smoothness.

I got 14 shaves out of my first Astra Platinum try today. Totally satisfied by its performance. The blade hasn't died yet.

Edge goes to the SP. SS are not bad except for the birthday candle melted on to the wrapper. SP not so much glop. I get three from each.

Top Bottom