What's new

ascot/cravat

Anybody here wear them? I'm contemplating getting one for the fall and just wearing it under the collar. Nothing too fancy (more scarf like than neck-tie). My only concern is looking a little, well, haughty.

Are you Fred?

proxy.php

Not a style that appeals to me. While I love a nice necktie, I could never imagine myself wearing an ascot, a dickie, a bolo tie or (apart from formal occasions) a bow tie.

My only concern is looking a little, well, haughty.

It's not the Cravat that is the problem, but the monocle and riding breeches.
If you can leave these at home you should be OK.

Also, Cravats should never be worn by men with short necks - they look absurd.
If however you have a normal to long neck and can wear your Cravat with an "air" (which is not the same as being haughty) you should look great.

Cordially, AvT.

Thanks for the tip on the long neck. If anyone was curious I was thinking something along these lines (under the collar, not over like a more standard sort of tie):

at night. if its cold, its worn as an ascot. if its more on the warmer side, its knotted like a cravat.

IMO, if youre not wearing a robe of some sort, it looks retarded.

Whoa, let's go easy on the breeches. As one who wears them daily, I can tell you that you don't have to wear them with an ascot.

A well-cut pair of riding breeches look not only stylish but also extremely manly as well.
Being an overseas member may I assume when you refer to a "robe" this is what we mean by a dressing-gown?
If so then paragraph 1 also applies.

Cordially, AvT.

The simple red cravat in all its swashbuckling glory:

proxy.php

But seriously, worn properly I think they can be quite dashing. Be prepared however for an influx of lady folk.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I believe ascots/cravats always look better on someone else.

Now that's a good look on George Clooney. But it's hard to tell if the ladies are flocking the pencil thin mustouche, or the white belt and shoes.

In college I would frequently lounge in the dorm with a pair of white loafers very similar to the ones Randy Quaid had in one of those Vacation movies. I believe it had a similar effect on women...especially when I wore them with shorts. A touch of class! (seriously, I'm not kidding)

Never tried the ascot, though. I'm saving that look for when I'm in a retirement home. Hopefully, it'll have the same chick-magnet outcome.

This look makes Brad Pitt look like kind of a wanker, IMO. Not nearly as dashing as George in that other picture.

What about an Ice Cream Cone Hat? Not a bad look.

A well-cut pair of riding breeches look not only stylish but also extremely manly as well.
Being an overseas member may I assume when you refer to a "robe" this is what we mean by a dressing-gown?
If so then paragraph 1 also applies.

Cordially, AvT.

yes, a dressing gown is what i meant :redface:

Don't do it man! Unless you are a movie star or an eccentric millionaire, it will look odd. Ask yourself where would you wear it, to the grocery store, to work, on a date at a fancy restaurant? I just can't imagine an ascot fitting in anywhere.

What a difference a year makes.

Ascots are now a revolutionary strike against the moribund state of DC.

proxy.php

Roland Martin, rocking his ascot flair and showing that he is not cowed by Jon Stewart's drippingly sarcastic attempts to rein him back into conformity.

I'm thinking they might be pretty practical, with the open shirt neck and loose tie. There's nothing quite like being on the hot seat in a business meeting and starting to feel one's arteries pumping against one's tie.

Roger

Unless you're a senior citizen, I wouldn't worry about looking haughty. I'd worry about looking... let's say... "overly concerned about fashion." Don't do it man.

Don't do it man! Unless you are a movie star or an eccentric millionaire, it will look odd. Ask yourself where would you wear it, to the grocery store, to work, on a date at a fancy restaurant? I just can't imagine an ascot fitting in anywhere.

I would, I would! Then again, I can pull of certain things that not too many people can pull...like wearing an ascot with an untucked shirt, and jeans.

Top Bottom