What's new

AS Advice

John - How long does the Irisch Moos scent stick around? It sounds good the way you described it, but the last female that smelled my IM shave stick accused it of smelling "too old man". Being single, I try to at least consider friendly, female criticism. Ha.

Well, IM is detectable on me after several hours, but it doesn't have huge projection, so you'd have to get pretty close. Like most scents, it reactivates a bit if you perspire. I've never used the IM soap, so I can't really compare the scent of the splash, but I imagine the "soapy" might change it just a little. As to strength, I have lots and lots of AS that smells more strongly than IM, but I'd have to say it's not as light or fleeting as Speick Men, which is a wonderful choice for the wants you've described.

Yeah, I've been at it about 3 years now, myself, and I know what you mean about great vs. ok products. My first wet shave was with a straight razor, super badger Vulfix, Kent (MWF) and Floid Blue. I started with a pretty high standard and haven't felt much need to deviate.

Anyway, thanks for your input, Jay. I'll look into Alt again.

Myrsol Aqua De Limon is real nice.It has a nice lemon scent that doesn't last long plus it also cools the face very much like Floid Blue or Proraso.

You seem to be into upscale AS's, at least ones that are not commonly available. There are some other AS's that are quite good, and will save some bucks.

My 3 favorites are Luck Tiger, Aqua Velva, and Master Bay Rum.

All 3 smell good and feel good. They work well for me, and I've been wetshaving since 1952.

Steve, you are the second person to recommend Lucky Tiger here. What's the story on that stuff? How does it compare to some of the others mentioned in this thread (i.e. Floid Blue, Speick, etc.)?

I never was much of an aftershave user. Only in the last month have I found aftershaves that I like using on a regular basis. I don't like strong, overpowering scents and some I've tried in the past have left my face feeling sticky. My 3 favorites are Ogallala, Tabac and Captain's Choice. I find the Ogallala scents very subtle and they leave my face feeling quite nice. When I want a scent that's a bit stronger, I'll use Tabac AS. My wife likes both the Ogallala and Tabac, but she has to get pretty close to even know I'm wearing them. The same with Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I like it's initial strong scent of clove, but it also fades quickly.

A little update for all you who have chimed in with great suggestions:

I, as I mentioned somewhere in here, ordered some Speick, and it came in last night. So this morning I gave it a go. I really like it, I think. I had also ordered some Speick bath soap when I ordered the AS, so I used my Speick shaving stick and had an all Speick morning. The AS has a very different scent than their soaps, but I think it compliments nicely. The soaps have almost a peppery scent, so the citrus in the AS really lightens that up a little. Although, I have to say that as I sit here at 8:15 am (about an hour after shaving), I can't really smell any of it. That is exactly what I was looking for!

As for performance, the verdict is still out a little. Speick AS doesn't feel quite as good on my face as Floid Blue (really, is there anything better?), but it isn't far off at all. I over slept a little this morning and had to rush my shave some, so I got a touch of razor burn in a couple of spots. I can't really tell it right now, so it would seem that the AS has done well. We'll see how my face responds throughout the day.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I will very likely try some of the other recommendations from this thread in the coming months. You all have me intrigued...

Glad you liked the Speick, Adam!
WRT your previous question, Lucky Tiger AS & Face Tonic is a non-alcohol splash with lots of skin goodies. It's very soothing, and has a fine orange scent that dissipates VERY quickly. It might be a good idea to use some alum or witch hazel first, if you're looking for post-shave disinfection.

Adam, I'm glad you liked the Speick. I've never used Floid, but my guess is that has a bit more menthol than Speick? Speick is a lot more subtle in its mechanisms than other alc-based splashes...that's why I like it so much. I wasn't blown away by it at first either but I can definitely tell the difference when I don't use it for a few days. Of course I like other splashes too but Speick is my favorite by far.

4711 is pretty nice, but I think the scent may last a little long for your tastes. Speick, yeah...it dies off pretty fast. I want to say Provence de Sante makes one too that doesn't last too long. Can't recall.

Have you tried any Thayers products?

What about Saint Charles Shave? I have their Hydro and really like it a lot. Not burn really, just a conditioning and comforting feel.

I love Speick!

Was thinking of ordering the German Pitralon...heard good things about it.

Yeah, I think I am going to look into that one next.

Can anyone say "ASAD"? :blushing:

Adam, I'm glad you liked the Speick. I've never used Floid, but my guess is that has a bit more menthol than Speick? Speick is a lot more subtle in its mechanisms than other alc-based splashes...that's why I like it so much. I wasn't blown away by it at first either but I can definitely tell the difference when I don't use it for a few days. Of course I like other splashes too but Speick is my favorite by far.

First, cvac, thanks for all of your input in this thread. I really appreciate it.

Floid isn't really as different from Speick as I thought it would be. Floid is stronger (scent) and feels like it has a little more alcohol in it, but the stuff goes on like nothing I've ever used. It feels like it moisturizes a little somehow, while at the same time toning. It is pretty incredible stuff, and it will likely always remain my favorite. . . especially since I've gotten a couple of compliments from females on its scent. :w00t:

4711 is pretty nice, but I think the scent may last a little long for your tastes. Speick, yeah...it dies off pretty fast. I want to say Provence de Sante makes one too that doesn't last too long. Can't recall.

What about Saint Charles Shave? I have their Hydro and really like it a lot. Not burn really, just a conditioning and comforting feel.

I have tried several of Thayers' Witch Hazel products, but none of them worked well for me. I think I ended up giving them all away, actually. Does Thayers make anything that isn't Witch Hazel?

I've never tried Saint Charles Shave. I think I like a little burn from my aftershaves. Before I picked up Speick I was using Dominica Bay Rum and Floid Blue. The both have pretty high alcohol content (especially that Bay Rum), and that seems to work for me. Speick has less alcohol (or so it feels), but can still tell that it is there. Plus, I think all of the other good-for-skin stuff in Speick is what really makes it perform so well.

I've been using Speick every day this whole week (even though I don't shave every day), and my face looks better than it has in a while. It doesn't feel as good (to me) as it does after a Floid shave, but it does seem to look better.

Hey rick, I just realized that you are in Columbia! I live in Pawleys Island, SC. I also see that you are a vendor. You wouldn't happen to have a store front (brick and mortar) would you?!?! I have yet, in all my travels, actually been able to find a physical store to walk into that carries a good stock of shaving products.

+1 for Proraso, +1 for 4711. Don't laugh but one of my favorites is an old avon decanter filled with 50% Aquavelva and 50% Clubman right out of the freezer! I know it sounds cheap but it is REALLY nice!

Top Bottom