What's new

AS Advice

Hey fellas (and any ladies that may be hanging around)! It has been quite a while since I have posted here at B&B, and I must say that I miss getting to check in as often as I used to. Since my move from Montana I have found myself quite busy and without an internet connection at home. :glare:

Anyway, enough with the hi-how-are-you's. Down to business. I need a little input on my forthcoming aftershave purchase. I have, since the beginning of my wetshaving venture a few years ago, only lightly explored the world of aftershaves. I have fallen into using only my two go-to products, Floid Blue and Dominica Bay Rum. While I have no intent of discontinuing the use of either, I do want to add to my collection and mix things up a little. Here are the details:

My skin is relatively oily and...unsensitive?...(not sure how else to describe that). I typically get by with only a cold water rinse and an aftershave splash as my post shave routine. I keep a tube of 444 around in case I get some razor burn, but I rarely use it. So I need an aftershave that performs well in terms of being good for your skin (not too drying). Also, I don't mind a little burn from my aftershave, either. Actually, I find it a little invigorating.

As for scent, I am looking for a good, every day aftershave. I don't wear cologne, and I don't like strong, overbearing smells. In fact, Floid Blue is a little much for me until it dissipates some (usually about an hour after use).

I am considering Speick, Irisch Moos, Tabac, and Musgo. I have read a couple of reviews for Speick, and I like what I have read so far. I use Speick and Irisch Moos shave sticks, and I love the scent of both. I know nothing about Tabac AS, but I have heard great and wonderful things concerning their shaving soaps. The way the scent has been described sounds pretty good to me. I also read a review of Musgo, and it seemed to get glowing reviews.

Anyway, what to y'all think? If you prefer a particular AS, let me know why. And, if you have a recommendation for something that I have not mentioned, let me know about that as well. Thanks in advance for the input!

My vote goes for Speick. The scent is very light and fades fast. It's also my favorite AS in terms of performance. Musgo is a great AS, but is very strongly scented...so much that it would obviate the need for any cologne. Given your preferences, I would not recommend it at all.

Thanks, cvac. That was kind of what I was thinking anyway about each of those. Know anything about Irisch Moos AS? I can't seem to find much info about that. I was going to order a decant from superlather, but they are sold out of it right now. I actually prefer the Irisch Moos shaving soap to Speick, but I don't know anything about their AS.

I believe IM AS is your standard cologne scented alcohol with very few "extras" to enhance performance. Certainly not on the level of Speick or Musgo. I've never tried it though.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've been using the German Pitralon lately and really enjoy the woody cedar scent along with good cooling and healing. Close to Speick as to its healing properties (contains some castor oil). The Swiss and Austrian made are different. Try the one with the green label.

Old ad from the fifties.
proxy.php

Have you considered trying a Pinaud/Clubman AS? The clubman might be a little too long lasting for your taste, but I've heard good things about their special reserve. A couple drops of glycerin help if it is a bit drying on your face.

If you don't like strong scents, steer clear of Tabac! I like it a lot, but it ain't subtle.

I'd agree with the suggestion to try Speick - it's really quite moderate in fragrance, and it works well to soothe the skin.

But I'd say my favourite of the less-pungent AS lotions is DR Harris Arlington (though I love Floïd blue too).

I generally always layer my AS with my cream. This leaves me a poor judge of AS alone but, then I guess we all layer …

Having said that, I have been using Acca Kappa’s 1869 (tub) shaving cream and the 1869 AS, and my face has never felt better. On its own, I am not sure the AS is the greatest, but combined with the cream it’s incredible and it feels great going on.

The other aftershave that I use with the same products cream is The Gentleman’s Refinery. This one is awesome too, and something I am confident in recommending (you can get a sample of this at The Superior Shave).

Both have nice scents that don’t last too long and leave the face feeling fresh.

I think you'll be happy with Speick, which is an excellent soothing splash with a light herbal lavender scent.
I really enjoy Irisch Moos splash as well. It feels like Aqua Velva in terms of composition (good performer, with glycerin), and has a clean and mild forest-type scent.

I don't know if I would really describe Irisch Moos as a mild scent. It's pretty strong IMO. If you like a nice, clean scent, you might enjoy Proraso aftershave splash. It's one of the few I have that doesn't get me accused of smelling like an old man. (Not that I mind smelling like an old man!) Pitralon is nice too; clean and masculine, it doesn't smell like anything else I've encountered.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I went ahead and ordered some Speick AS when I ordered some new blades and a couple of other things yesterday afternoon. I'm going to give it a shot, but now you all have me interested in several of these others. . . :glare:

Doug - I have tried samples of Swiss and Austrian Pitralon. I didn't care for either, but I didn't know there was a German Pitralon. Is there a good online source for that? Also, that ad was a nice touch.

John - How long does the Irisch Moos scent stick around? It sounds good the way you described it, but the last female that smelled my IM shave stick accused it of smelling "too old man". Being single, I try to at least consider friendly, female criticism. Ha.

Aruthur - I considered Proraso, too. I haven't alltogether ruled it out. Does its smell mirror their shave cream?

Also, someone up there mentioned D.R. Harris. I am, for some mysterious reason, drawn to D.R. Harris Pink. What's the story on that stuff... and how does Pink compare to Arlington or their other splashes?

I think you will be happy with the Speick, I wish it came in a gallon size, or at least one like the Agua de Lavandar by Puig. You might also want to try Lucky Tiger it is nice and subtle, and fades quickly. What I like about Speick is how it treats razor burn.

Can't believe Alt Innsbruck hasn't been mentioned.

Burn - Slight. Perfect based on what you mentioned. I wouldn't call it alcohol based. Rather, its one of the ingredients.

Cooling - Has that too. Mentholated but not heavy. Just a touch. In terms of common menthols with Osage being frozen, AV being normal...it's below AV.

Moisturizing Ability - Amazing. One of the only non-balms I've tried that actually moisturizes. It leaves with this moist, non-greasy, soothing coat on your face.

Scent - I personally love it. This may be the ONLY thing that goes against your requests. Some people say it's strong, others say its just right. It can be worn as an AS or cologne so it may fit your bill.

Overall Performance - 9/10. It's not a 10/10 because I can't say I've tried all the greats yet to tell.

If you like citrus at all, you may want to try 4711. It has a light scent that isn't overbearing at all.

4711 is a great go-to for citrus and/or if you want something that fades quick (if you wear cologne).

It's a powdery light scent. Heavy citrus tones, light spice tones (at least to my nose).

Try the Booster Polar Ice. The name would make one think it is very cold, but it has an old time barber shop smell that fades. Just a thought.

Can't believe Alt Innsbruck hasn't been mentioned.

Burn - Slight. Perfect based on what you mentioned. I wouldn't call it alcohol based. Rather, its one of the ingredients.

Cooling - Has that too. Mentholated but not heavy. Just a touch. In terms of common menthols with Osage being frozen, AV being normal...it's below AV.

Moisturizing Ability - Amazing. One of the only non-balms I've tried that actually moisturizes. It leaves with this moist, non-greasy, soothing coat on your face.

Scent - I personally love it. This may be the ONLY thing that goes against your requests. Some people say it's strong, others say its just right. It can be worn as an AS or cologne so it may fit your bill.

Overall Performance - 9/10. It's not a 10/10 because I can't say I've tried all the greats yet to tell.

4711 is a great go-to for citrus and/or if you want something that fades quick (if you wear cologne).

It's a powdery light scent. Heavy citrus tones, light spice tones (at least to my nose).

Thanks for the review of Alt Innsbruck. . . very informative. I had some Alt in a sampler once. It didn't strike my fancy, though I can't remember why. I ended up PIF'ing it to my brother when I convinced him to start wet shaving. Maybe I'll see if he still has some left and revisit that.

How does the performance of 4711 compare to that of Alt?

Thanks for the review of Alt Innsbruck. . . very informative. I had some Alt in a sampler once. It didn't strike my fancy, though I can't remember why. I ended up PIF'ing it to my brother when I convinced him to start wet shaving. Maybe I'll see if he still has some left and revisit that.

How does the performance of 4711 compare to that of Alt?

In terms of performance, they don't compare. 4711 is very light and refreshing. I'd break it down as follows:

Burn - Mild/moderate. Is alcohol based.

Cooling - None. I don't notice any cooling.

Moisturizing ability - Possibly slight. It's not as harsh as a Clubman, Old Spice, etc. I don't find that it really moisturizes but it doesn't dry either.

Scent - A powdery citrus with a hint of spice to it. Perhaps a dash of clove. It fades quick.

Performance - 6/10. It's not a really great performer. It's scent is the biggest plus. It does tighten/smooth. No real moisturizing or soothing characteristics though.

Over a year now. Maybe a year and a half. Biggest thing I've learned in that time is the difference between an OK product and a GREAT product.

Prior to 4711, Alt Innsbruck, and a couple other samples of good stuff...all I had tried was the run of the mill Clubman, Bay Rum, OS, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still reach for the latter 3 often enough. Some of the scents, characteristics, and overall appeal can't be imitated. There is just something like a splash of OS out of a an old fashioned glass decanter. Or patting on some Lime Bay Rum on a hot summer morning.

Alt Innsbruck was the first AS that made me go "Woah". Just like AOS Sandalwood Soap was the first soap that made me see the light in terms of tallow and higher end soaps.

Top Bottom