What's new

Artists' Club

On those Feather Professional 60's is there a slider on top? (looks like there is not).

Is that a small hole in the face of the razor? Possibly where the spring is mounted? Do you understand why it is there? Looks like a way for water and soap to enter. Thanks for posting the pictures, your razors look nice.

Yes the hole for for the mounting of the spring.
I believe it shave the same as the modern Artist Club DX as the geometry is almost the same.
Most probably, I will not going to use it as I still got many other Artist Clubs.

Yes the hole for for the mounting of the spring.
I believe it shave the same as the modern Artist Club DX as the geometry is almost the same.
Most probably, I will not going to use it as I still got many other Artist Clubs.
If that is a NOS razor, then I can understand the reluctance to use it. As it still looks brand new, and does probably shave the same as a DX or RG model.

Maybe that the hole was added for technical marketing reasons. Since the earlier models used a plastic slider to wedge the two halves of the blade holder together, someone at Feather might have thought this new model was so different that potential buyers would be concerned about how it functioned. That they added a "cut-out" to show off the new design and in an effort to entice buyers.

If that is a NOS razor, then I can understand the reluctance to use it. As it still looks brand new, and does probably shave the same as a DX or RG model.

Maybe that the hole was added for technical marketing reasons. Since the earlier models used a plastic slider to wedge the two halves of the blade holder together, someone at Feather might have thought this new model was so different that potential buyers would be concerned about how it functioned. That they added a "cut-out" to show off the new design and in an effort to entice buyers.
Yes i think you are very right!

Anyone have the timeline of Feather straight razors?

Feather Professional 25 -> Feather Professional 60 -> Feather Artist Club RG -> Feather Artist Club DX -> Feather Artist Club SS

Am i correct or missing something here?

Anyone have the timeline of Feather straight razors?

Feather Professional 25 -> Feather Professional 60 -> Feather Artist Club RG -> Feather Artist Club DX -> Feather Artist Club SS

Am i correct or missing something here?
I think that could be a rough outline. I have searched for their history in the past but could not find much online. I am not certain if the RG predates the DX or if they were two models introduced at about the same time. I think there are additional models, for instance there is a teak-wood-handle folding razor made from stainless steel, a premium model much like today's wooden DX but the blade holder uses a plastic wedge like the old Feather 25 so it must be from that time period, but since the razor is made from a different material it may have a different model number. There were also some cosmetic tweaks over time.

In a similar vein I have wondered about the evolution and release dates for the various different blades. I might assume only "Professional" blades were sold at first, then sometime later released "Super Professional", then the Pro-Guard, Soft-Guard, and Lite blades. Or maybe the Pro-Guards came before the Super-Pros?.....it would be nice to be able to speak Japanese and visit an old barber in Japan.

I am also curious about when they first marketed their razors using the Artist Club brand name. I believe the blades have only recently been branded that way (none my boxes/cassettes are). I got the impression from their marketing materials that "artist club" was a nod to hair stylists but then again they have the "Feather Plier" for hair styling as well as the "Feather Nape" razor for touch ups.

I think that could be a rough outline. I have searched for their history in the past but could not find much online. I am not certain if the RG predates the DX or if they were two models introduced at about the same time. I think there are additional models, for instance there is a teak-wood-handle folding razor made from stainless steel, a premium model much like today's wooden DX but the blade holder uses a plastic wedge like the old Feather 25 so it must be from that time period, but since the razor is made from a different material it may have a different model number. There were also some cosmetic tweaks over time.

In a similar vein I have wondered about the evolution and release dates for the various different blades. I might assume only "Professional" blades were sold at first, then sometime later released "Super Professional", then the Pro-Guard, Soft-Guard, and Lite blades. Or maybe the Pro-Guards came before the Super-Pros?.....it would be nice to be able to speak Japanese and visit an old barber in Japan.

I am also curious about when they first marketed their razors using the Artist Club brand name. I believe the blades have only recently been branded that way (none my boxes/cassettes are). I got the impression from their marketing materials that "artist club" was a nod to hair stylists but then again they have the "Feather Plier" for hair styling as well as the "Feather Nape" razor for touch ups.
Wow impressive knowledge! Feather Professional are really worth collecting!

I’m not sure whether I’ve already seen this thread somewhere in the past, or whether I’ve just found it for the first time. Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, I thought it would be nice to dig out some of my razors that use these blades.

I have one old Feather Artist Club. I’ve only used it a handful of times and it’s bitten me every time.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have an old Schick with different colours included. I might have used it once but have never switched out the colours on it. Forgot I had these to be honest.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have a Mongoose that I periodically dig out and always get great shaves from.

proxy.php

And I have this one that I got years ago when I bid on some of the auctions here on B&B. Not even sure what it is, but it gives me rough shaves. I seem to recall something about a special technique to line up the blades or something like that, but I never looked into it so not sure now.

proxy.php

I also have an SS clone, a non-folding Kai Captain clone, and a genuine Kai Captain, which is just perfect! Also a RR Hawk somewhere.....

I do believe I am going to be snagging an SS soon. Something new to try out. Anyone have a recommendation on where to go for the best price on them?

I do believe I am going to be snagging an SS soon. Something new to try out. Anyone have a recommendation on where to go for the best price on them?
For a genuine SS, Amazon or eBay (typically Japanese sellers) are going to be your best price. Figure between $60-70, depending on whether you go with fixed or folding.

For a genuine SS, Amazon or eBay (typically Japanese sellers) are going to be your best price. Figure between $60-70, depending on whether you go with fixed or folding.
I'm definitely looking at folding for sure. I didn't know they had them on Amazon. I'll have to look on there.

What are the differences between the DX and the SS? Is one better than the other?
You opened a can of worms with that question lol. Which one is better depends on personal preference and skills/limitaitons of the user, and there are a lot of STRONG opinions on which is "better"

The SS has a "lipped" profile, and it is designed to glide along your skin and make for an easier, more forgiving shave. Photos below should help clarify.

1586374461815.png

1586374535741.png

1586374424227.png

(ignore that it says RG. The RG was superseded by the DX)

Ok well I want as much comfort as possible so I'm just going to stick to the SS. I'm sure it works just as well.
Sounds like a reasonable plan, and it's not a huge investment. If you have little to no experience shaving with an open blade (straights, shavettes), then I would highly recommend the SS. Get a blade sampler from tryablade.com. I generally recommend starting with guarded blades for a noob.

I use straights often so I'm no stranger to them.
In that case, another good option would be the Kai Captain. It shaves very similarly to the DX, but it's priced a lot closer to the SS. Then there are also clones, but I won't take you down that rabbit hole.

1586383670180.png

Plenty of straight razor users also like the SS, but it will have a bit more learning curve. I'm told that once you're past the learning curve, they give a terrific shave. In my case, I started with the Kai Captain (after using primarily straights and occasional shavettes). I found there to be almost no learning curve.

Just a few things to keep in mind. As always YMMV

Well I received my Feather SS today and had my first shave with it. Holy smokes what a close and smooth shave. I used a Pro Guard for the first shave since it was my first go with it. It instantly became one of my favorite razors.

I’m not sure whether I’ve already seen this thread somewhere in the past, or whether I’ve just found it for the first time. Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, I thought it would be nice to dig out some of my razors that use these blades.

I have one old Feather Artist Club. I’ve only used it a handful of times and it’s bitten me every time.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have an old Schick with different colours included. I might have used it once but have never switched out the colours on it. Forgot I had these to be honest.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have a Mongoose that I periodically dig out and always get great shaves from.

proxy.php

And I have this one that I got years ago when I bid on some of the auctions here on B&B. Not even sure what it is, but it gives me rough shaves. I seem to recall something about a special technique to line up the blades or something like that, but I never looked into it so not sure now.

proxy.php

I also have an SS clone, a non-folding Kai Captain clone, and a genuine Kai Captain, which is just perfect! Also a RR Hawk somewhere.....
I like that last razor in your pics I wish you remembered what it was. It looks nice. I might have to look for one of those....

Long live the Artist's Club. Love these blades - I've used a variety of different brands / models in my AC SS and Razorock Hawk, they are fantastic. Good to see them getting some love!

Denizens of this Club may be able to inform me - what blades have the greatest exposure in the AC range? I'm currently on Feather Pro Super and would be interested to see results from using an even wider blade.

I like that last razor in your pics I wish you remembered what it was. It looks nice. I might have to look for one of those....

It’s an Nikon El Jefe, FWIW.
I trawled through previous auctions to find the one where I bid on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom