What's new

Artist Club August

sotd_23082020.jpg

Today I've compared an AC straight and an AC safety razor.
Started with the DX. The second was Hawk v.3 (not pictured).
Well, after half a pass I switched back to the DX: the SE razor did too much dragging and just didn't cut.
Perhaps due to an old blade: Feather AC Professional (6 and out).
Or maybe the lather was not perfect (Mike's soaps are not famous as fuss-free).
Anyway. The last pass with an AC-SR was a breeze. And I really like Zingari balms.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sketch_1598266334695.jpg

A single pass shave today. I have redness for an hour or so after the shave and a couple of weepers which bled quite a lot. Not sure why that is but for the last two shaves with the Feather Professional I have not been pleased with the results. I suppose that is all a part of the learning process so I will persevere 👍

EclipseRedRing

20200825_133614.jpg

A two pass shave today WTG/XTG with much better results. I am beginning to think that if I consciously set out to get a close shave then I end up with the opposite result along with nicks and weepers. If, like today, I do not worry about the shave but just concentrate on angle and barely touching the skin with the blade, then the result is much better. Something to think about. 👍

EclipseRedRing

Lumii_20200827_085434243.jpg

A second great two pass shave today with no cuts or weepers. The key for me seems to be almost to apply too little pressure as if the razor could not possibly cut; just trying to remove the soap without touching the skin. I have read that any pressure at all is too much pressure with this razor and it is correct. An absolutely superb razor but it requires diligent practice and perseverance which perhaps is why so many combine it with a DE razor for a final cleanup pass as I was previously doing.

I found this information about Feather AC blades on their Japanese website. It shows the specifications of each blade and the exposure in the SS and DX razors. This confirms what was said above that the Proguard blade has the same exposure as the Professional blade. It seems as if the DX has a 0.2mm greater exposure than the SS. I wonder if there is similar information for blades from other manufacturers.

View attachment 1139590
For the sake of clarity, every Feather blade designed for the Artist Club type razor (DX and SS alike) is called "Professional", it's a "family of blades". This is to distinguish them from the Feather DE blades, which are not "professional".

The Feather Professional blades can then be sub-categorized as the 5 distinct blade types described in the pic you posted above.

View attachment 1145981

A second great two pass shave today with no cuts or weepers. The key for me seems to be almost to apply too little pressure as if the razor could not possibly cut; just trying to remove the soap without touching the skin. I have read that any pressure at all is too much pressure with this razor and it is correct. An absolutely superb razor but it requires diligent practice and perseverance which perhaps is why so many combine it with a DE razor for a final cleanup pass as I was previously doing.

This is a great thread. I just ordered my first Feather AC - a black folding SS.

What you describe above is exactly what I discovered that really lifted the quality of my DE shaves. I can’t wait to try the SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great thread. I just ordered my first Feather AC - a black folding SS.

What you describe above is exactly what I discovered that really lifted the quality of my DE shaves. I can’t wait to try the SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SS is my favorite razor. Had a great two-pass shave this morning with it..... it is now, for me, not just August but 11 consecutive months using the SS for every shave. I plan on completing the entire year and then I will decide whether I want to go back to mixing it up with other razors or not.

EclipseRedRing

rd.jpg

The final shave of Artist Club August and it was a great one - a two pass shave WTG/ATG with no cuts or weepers. I have used this razor more than twenty times this month and have made considerable progress. I consistently get results every bit as good as using a DE razor and my time taken to shave has reduced from about 40 minutes to twenty minutes which is fine; I prefer to take my time as I have plenty of it. I am comfortable using both hands and know how best to stretch my skin for optimum results, especially with a wetter lather. My DE razor technique has improved considerably as a result of using the Feather as I now understand what light pressure really means; any pressure at all is too much pressure. It is quite possible to get fabulous results with either guarded or unguarded blades with the former offering a more relaxed shave and the latter more of a challenge. The Feather AC DX is a fantastic razor and one that rewards perseverance, patience, focus, and attention to technique, but it will instantly and ruthlessly punish any lack of those qualities. I have enjoyed this month and will continue to use the Feather as a part of my regular rotation and further improve my technique. Many thanks to @vates and all those who have contributed to this thread 👍

Last edited:
Thanks for the ride, @EclipseRedRing!

My last entry for the Artist Club August.
It was an interesting experience. I've become more proficient with an AC razor, no doubt. But there's still very much left to learn. Every Saturday is from now on reserved for an SR shave. And maybe I'll dedicate a whole month to an AC again. Cheers!

sotd_31082020.jpg

OK, so I had my second shave with my new AC folding SS with a Pro Guard. Went pretty well. I spent a full hour with just the AC. When my hand is in a comfortable position and my skin is flat, it’s actually pretty easy. The hard part is when one of these things is not so - which is most of the time. So I am currently focusing on 1) hand position, 2) range of motion, and 3) skin stretching.

I know that people use alum to help with grip, but I did not realize that this helps with soap covered skin until afterward when I re-watched a video. So, hopefully, this will help.

I can’t wait for round three. And I only wish this thread had been for September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom