What's new

Arko Smell? Really?

I just got my very first Arko stick today. After reading Arko threads on all the love/hate of the smell I was prepared for some toxic odor and was ready to go to a military surplus store for a gas mask to use for opening it. I couldn't wait so I very carefully opened the wrapper. I slowly and shallowly sniffed, then waited for a physiological response. Did I miss something? Perhaps my stick is defective? I sniffed again. I get a soap fragrance with a relatively light lemon smell. What? No citronella, no Lemon Pledge, no lemon floor cleaner? What the heck! Maybe it needs some water to activate. I will try it for the first time tomorrow morning and report back if I am still alive and able.

I think your cognitive facilities have been scrambled by the olfactory assault you've just suffered.

Go outside and get some fresh air. :tongue_sm

I just got my very first Arko stick today. After reading Arko threads on all the love/hate of the smell I was prepared for some toxic odor and was ready to go to a military surplus store for a gas mask to use for opening it. I couldn't wait so I very carefully opened the wrapper. I slowly and shallowly sniffed, then waited for a physiological response. Did I miss something? Perhaps my stick is defective? I sniffed again. I get a soap fragrance with a relatively light lemon smell. What? No citronella, no Lemon Pledge, no lemon floor cleaner? What the heck! Maybe it needs some water to activate. I will try it for the first time tomorrow morning and report back if I am still alive and able.

Congratulations, and welcome to the club. Your membership packet should be on the way as soon as you complete your first shave with the great turkish delight.

Just opened my first stick (thanks GuanYu). I can understand why some get a sniff of Lemon Pledge and/or citronella) but c'mon it really doesn't smell that bad--at least not to me. It smells better than witch hazel!

Just opened my first stick (thanks GuanYu). I can understand why some get a sniff of Lemon Pledge and/or citronella) but c'mon it really doesn't smell that bad--at least not to me. It smells better than witch hazel!

I suppose Arko may smell better than some man-made things and perhaps a few natural occurring scents too; however, I could be wrong about this.

I had the same experience last week. I was expecting a full on olfactory assault but instead got the clean scent of ivory soap. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Cheap and easy to lather. Sounds like a winner to me.

Make sure you're posting in the Cult of Arko thread also. That thread needs to stay above the hater thread.

Besides that, all positive mentions about the soap should most definitely be in the Cult Thread. The Leader likes thanks and praise.

Last edited:
This is why my wife thinks Arko smells fine, but can't stand MWF and can barely tolerate Co9T.

Scents are not universally perceived the same.

Although, YMMV.

I think your cognitive facilities have been scrambled by the olfactory assault you've just suffered.

Go outside and get some fresh air. :tongue_sm

I definitely considered that the Arko exposure may have been so immediate and devastating that some sensory or olfactory overload had occurred. I will proceed again with great caution and see what the next exposure is like.

+1. Hence, my attempt at some thinly-veiled humor and "poke" at the Arko Haters and Lovers! Just having some fun! Truly, I was prepared to be blown back by some "industrial/chemical" small but that didn't happen. Now, my first exposure to Tabac was much more extreme. And, I love that soap!

The vitriol the haters have for Arko really works against them by lowering everyone's expectations far below what is deserved.

I too was expecting something awful, and while it certainly isn't my favorite scent, it is in no way off-putting to me. Its latherability and convenience ensures it will always have a place in my den.

The vitriol the haters have for Arko really works against them by lowering everyone's expectations far below what is deserved.

I too was expecting something awful, and while it certainly isn't my favorite scent, it is in no way off-putting to me. Its latherability and convenience ensures it will always have a place in my den.

I think my experience will be the same. I am not much of a "scent snob" nor a soap snubber. Heck, I still use Williams and VDH. Just for fun, I have shaved with bath soap. I'm really more of a value guy. Give me a good to great product at a fair price and I'm good. It sounds like Arko may fit that criteria. I will post my results in the morning.

Arko isn't my favorite scent. I didn't love it at first but it grew on me. The bottom line is that Arko is the best performing soap I have ever used. And its quite affordable to boot. What's to hate?

My stick came in the mail over the weekend. I didn't get to it yet but I did give it a little sniff through the package. Will update if I survive

Top Bottom