What's new

Mixing Arko

Hi,

I have been working on breaking in some new brushes and wanted to use a less costly soap alternative. I ordered 12 sticks of Arko, partly because it is the only soap I remember my father using in his early life. When it is first opened, the scent reminds me of laundry detergent. That dwindles down to the scent of a mild lemon soap after a few days. It works very well, but I found that it dries my face a bit. Based on the initial smell and this observation, I think that Arko has a high detergent content. A few days ago, I finished my first Arko stick and pressed a new one into my soap bowel. This time, however, I added about 1/4th of a puck of Van Der Hagen soap. I just cut the VDH into small pieces with a butter knife and pressed the pieces into the Arko.

The lather this combination produces is quite impressive. It is thicker and slicker than the standard Arko lather and much thicker than the VDH lather. It does not dry my face to any degree.

I got into wet shaving about 7 or 8 years ago and spent a significant amount of time optimizing the combination of my DE razor and blade. Recently, I started reading this forum again and became very interested in boar and synthetic brushes. In the past few weeks I have purchased more soaps and brushes than I will be able to use in the foreseeable future; the folks at Connaught are probably tired of shipping things to my address . Basically, I am now experimenting with the "badger" and soap component of wet shaving.

In any case, 12 sticks of Arko can be purchased for around $16 and a puck of VDH Deluxe is around $2.50. If your interest in wet shaving is based on economics, I would recommend trying this combination. Alternatively, other people here have mentioned the exchange rate between the Dollar and the British Pound is near all-time lows. You can get great deals on shaving supplies from the UK. Connaught has given me so much free shipping, that I really do owe them some amount of promotion.

Hi Keyvan, great suggestion. I've also done a lot of experimentation with various budget soap blends (see link to my thread on this below). I my case I started with Williams Shave Soap as it was the closest available soap to what I recall my grandfather using. My first blend was a combo of Williams and Van Der Hagen Deluxe (VDH). The link below covers all my initial experiments. Since then I've discovered Dove Men+Care as an excellent superlathering ingredient and added it into the mix. I grate the tallow-based soaps in my mixes and blend together. Next I melt the VDH and pour it in the mix. This results in a warm very malleable blend that is easy to knead and then press into roughly 3oz. shaving soap pucks. The VDH Deluxe acts as a great binder for the blend and is only roughly $2 a puck from Walgreens (on-line only) when on sale.

My best blend to date includes the following:
  • Two pucks Williams grated
  • Two pucks VDH Deluxe
  • 2 oz Ivory grated (more slickness)
  • 1 oz Proraso red (superlathering/easier loading)
  • 2 oz Dove Men+ Care grated (superlathering)
Yield of 4 almost 3.5 oz. soap pucks for a little over $2 each that yield easy to generate thick and slick lather.

Arko can easily be substituted for the now discontinued Williams. I fact a few days ago I mixed up a new batch of the above with the addition of a couple ounces of Arko. Note that the full benefits of the blend manifest starting with the second use as the VDH coats the grated ingredients and so can make up the much of what is loaded for the first shave.

Ivan Der Williams Shave Soap Blend for Ideal Lather and Slickness - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ivan-der-williams-shave-soap-blend-for-ideal-lather-and-slickness.605633/

For more on Dove Men+ Care there are a number of posts, including some of mine, on the topic on B&B.

P.S. Regarding your Connaught comment, we've a whole thread on this in Buy-Sell-Trade. With the current U.K./U.S. exchange rate U.S. shavers can purchase premium items for mass market/budget prices if they are willing to order in quantities that qualify for free air mail shipping. Placed my first order there a week ago. Link to the thread below.

Hi Keyvan, great suggestion. I've also done a lot of experimentation with various budget soap blends (see link to my thread on this below). I my case I started with Williams Shave Soap as it was the closest available soap to what I recall my grandfather using. My first blend was a combo of Williams and Van Der Hagen Deluxe (VDH). The link below covers all my initial experiments. Since then I've discovered Dove Men+Care as an excellent superlathering ingredient and added it into the mix. I grate the tallow-based soaps in my mixes and blend together. Next I melt the VDH and pour it in the mix. This results in a warm very malleable blend that is easy to knead and then press into roughly 3oz. shaving soap pucks. The VDH Deluxe acts as a great binder for the blend and is only roughly $2 a puck from Walgreens (on-line only) when on sale.

• Two pucks VDH Deluxe
Yield of 4 almost 3.5 oz. soap pucks for a little over $2 each that yield easy to generate thick and slick lather.

Arko can easily be substituted for the now discontinued Williams. I fact a few days ago I mixed up a new batch of the above with the addition of a couple ounces of Arko. Note that the full benefits of the blend manifest starting with the second use as the VDH coats the grated ingredients and so can make up the much of what is loaded for the first shave.

Ivan Der Williams Shave Soap Blend for Ideal Lather and Slickness - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ivan-der-williams-shave-soap-blend-for-ideal-lather-and-slickness.605633/

For more on Dove Men+ Care there are a number of posts, including some of mine, on the topic on B&B.

P.S. Regarding your Connaught comment, we've a whole thread on this in Buy-Sell-Trade. With the current U.K./U.S. exchange rate U.S. shavers can purchase premium items for mass market/budget prices if they are willing to order in quantities that qualify for free air mail shipping. Placed my first order there a week ago. Link to the thread below.

Thanks for making me aware of all of that great information. I have never tried the Dove or the Ivory, so I will investigate those first. At some point I will definitely try your recipe.

That might work. Adding a few shavings of that lavender shaving soap really worked out great! It is not too strong of a smell all around. Nice. I'm sure what you want to do will work, too.

I was thinking of using some base ingredients that are not heavily scented and then adding essential oils to customize the scent.
By all means try it an see. Note that you may want to leave an unwrapped Arko stick out for a couple of weeks to allow its natural scent to dissipate prior to blending. Will allow the essential oil scents to better drive the blended scent profile.

• Two pucks VDH Deluxe

Oh crap. When did they discontinue Williams? Every time I come back to the forum I get sad news.

*Danger!*

Do not attempt to mix Arko with Tabac!

I have it on very good authority that the resulting soap will cause synthetic bristles to melt.

And I'm not allowed to tell you what it does to nose hairs.

True story doggone!
That's what happened...

Oh crap. When did they discontinue Williams? Every time I come back to the forum I get sad news.
At the start of this year. Confirmation direct from Combe (manufacturer) this past February. See post #657 on the Williams thread via the link below:

• Two pucks VDH Deluxe

• Two pucks VDH Deluxe

Hi Lane,

I made a modified version of your soap formulation. The main differences being that I only had one puck of VDH, I forgot to add the Proraso, and I substituted Arko for Williams.

After I compressed everything into a Pyrex bowl, I punched holes into the puck with a tooth pick and I added 5 drops of Lavender oil and 5 drops of Myrrh oil. I then added about 1 teaspoon of rose water and 1 tea spoon of orange blossom water. That technique actually turns out well. The Myrrh and Lavender form the base and the rose and orange blossom form the top. The soap itself has a mild and somewhat sweet citrus scent, but once lathered the Myrrh more or less dominates.

This formulation lathers faster than the simple mix of Arko and VDH and may be somewhat slicker. The lather, however, is a bit less dense than the mixture I originally made. That observation makes sense considering that the original formulation was dominated by Arko.

I had fun, but I am not going into soap making any time soon. It takes quite a bit of time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hi Lane,

I made a modified version of your soap formulation. The main differences being that I only had one puck of VDH, I forgot to add the Proraso, and I substituted Arko for Williams.

After I compressed everything into a Pyrex bowl, I punched holes into the puck with a tooth pick and I added 5 drops of Lavender oil and 5 drops of Myrrh oil. I then added about 1 teaspoon of rose water and 1 tea spoon of orange blossom water. That technique actually turns out well. The Myrrh and Lavender form the base and the rose and orange blossom form the top. The soap itself has a mild and somewhat sweet citrus scent, but once lathered the Myrrh more or less dominates.

This formulation lathers faster than the simple mix of Arko and VDH and may be somewhat slicker. The lather, however, is a bit less dense than the mixture I originally made. That observation makes sense considering that the original formulation was dominated by Arko.

I had fun, but I am not going into soap making any time soon. It takes quite a bit of time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Hi Keyvan, Glad you enjoyed the experiment. It does take some time. Not surprised that the lather is a bit less dense since you don't have as much of the VDH and did not add Proraso. Both of these are superlathering elements of the mix. Two things may enhance the lather quality if you want:

• Build the lather directly on the puck in your bowl (I do the same in an apothecary mug) to load more soap into the mix.
  • Take a half to full ounce chunk of Dove Men+Care and push it into the center of the mix in your bowl (keep it under 20% of the soap loading area) to offset that your mix does not have Proroso and has less VDH superlathering ingredients. It works well. Before I added Dove to my latest mix I did this to an earlier blend (same mix just without the Dove) to quickly see how it would work.
Happy to see that you were successful in infusing a more pleasant scent into your blend. Will consider trying something like that with my next batch though I need to 3017 a few existing pucks of soap first.

P.S. Have you used your blend a second or third time? The VDH tends to coat the grated soaps with the result that it can make up a large part of what is loaded for a first shave. Typically get the full benefits of the blend by the second or third use.

Last edited:
Hi Keyvan, Glad you enjoyed the experiment. It does take some time. Not surprised that the lather is a bit less dense since you don't have as much of the VDH and did not add Proraso. Both of these are superlathering elements of the mix. Two things may enhance the lather quality if you want:

• Build the lather directly on the puck in your bowl (I do the same in an apothecary mug) to load more soap into the mix.
  • Take a half to full ounce chunk of Dove Men+Care and push it into the center of the mix in your bowl (keep it under 20% of the soap loading area) to offset that your mix does not have Proroso and has less VDH superlathering ingredients. It works well. Before I added Dove to my latest mix I did this to an earlier blend (same mix just without the Dove) to quickly see how it would work.
Happy to see that you were successful in infusing a more pleasant scent into your blend. Will consider trying something like that with my next batch though I need to 3017 a few existing pucks of soap first.

P.S. Have you used your blend a second or third time? The VDH tends to coat the grated soaps with the result that it can make up a large part of what is loaded for a first shave. Typically get the full benefits of the blend by the second or third use.
I have not yet done a full second lather. I made try to move the puck to a larger bowl and infuse some more VDH and Proraso.

Arko & Mitchell's Wool Fat works a treat - I use it a as a stick, but you could grate, mix 50/50 and press into any soap bowl/container if you prefer.
I love the way MWF wipes off at the end of a shave. While it is a slick soap, the slickness is easy to clean off. It's a very unique soap. I know that some people feel that MWF is difficult to lather, but I have never had an issue using boar or synthetic brushes. It would be interesting to see what qualities are retained and what qualities are enhanced from the mixture.

Arko & Mitchell's Wool Fat works a treat - I use it a as a stick, but you could grate, mix 50/50 and press into any soap bowl/container if you prefer.
Hi Coops, As both soaps work well by themselves I suspect your blend is excellent.

It's interesting. In the states, where soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) or Tabac are typically priced at a more premium $15+ price point (for the refills) we tend not to think about mixing them with other soaps as at that price point they should stand on their own (as MWF does!). The tendency in the U.S. (realize there are exceptions to this) is to focus on mixing budget soaps such as Arko, Van Der Hagen or the recently discontinued Williams Shave Soap (99 cents a puck). For example B&Bers from the U.S. have done something similar with a 50/50 Arko/Williams mix. Many B&Bers, including myself, have done a lot of Van Der Williams blends.

Across the pond where MWF is priced at 6-7 british pounds (GBP), a more mass market price though not quite budget, my sense is from other posts/videos that there is a greater tendency to consider blending it as noted here or in videos/posts regarding "Tafat" blends of MWF and Tabac. If current exchange rates hold, that allow us to purchase it from the U.K. for 5-6 GBP ($6-7 U.S.), I bet we could see more blending experiments with MWF or other soaps like Tabac on this side of the pond.

Top Bottom