What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

That's insane David. You need to get someone to carve a cow-shaped/themed box for it. It does seem these side-printed Nortons (I would guess 70's-modern) get some much more interesting stones than the older wood boxed ones did.

Tried my 6x2 Arkansas from dans ? I used soapy water I did 200 light strokes . Great feed back .

Just two days ago I shaved with the razor dilucot method revisor razor shaved very nice I did feel against the grain was good but could of done with a bit more cutting power as much as I love the coticule edge against the grain under my chin I tend to feel I could do with a tad more cutting power for my strong stubble.

So I took the same razor with 200 strokes on the Ultra fine black Arkansas .

For those of you that said there is difference you was all spot on . The razor was still very smooth but there was a moth more cutting power and against the grain was just what I was looking for . Really impressed with the Arkansas super smooth and keener edge

Tried my 6x2 Arkansas from dans ? I used soapy water I did 200 light strokes . Great feed back .

Just two days ago I shaved with the razor dilucot method revisor razor shaved very nice I did feel against the grain was good but could of done with a bit more cutting power as much as I love the coticule edge against the grain under my chin I tend to feel I could do with a tad more cutting power for my strong stubble.

For those of you that said there is difference you was all spot on . The razor was still very smooth but there was a moth more cutting power and against the grain was just what I was looking for . Really impressed with the Arkansas super smooth and keener edge
Glad it worked out. ark after coti has given me some nice smooth shaves too.

As an aside I started to lap the bottom of my convex ark. I’m about an hour into it with 100 grit wet dry and hardly a dent. This is gonna be fun!

That’s a pretty ringing endorsement coming from you. The Coti to ark progression is definitely a favorite for me too. I have quite a few JNATs and on the whole I spend way more time on JNATs, but I think the Coti Ark combo is faster and gives as keen an edge as I can manage while being that comfortable. The Arks only weakness is the slow cutting speed if youre silly enough to try actually removing steel by Arkansas.

Yes the comfort was there there is doubt about that I couldn’t fault the edge . I have good results with the welsh slate at the expense of not so comfy but the Arkansas edge I noticed a difference straight away across the grain was perfect and against the grain was great for my skin I have no irritation what so over . One of the reasons I barely shave against the grain under my chin that section is due to irritation in that area . I have sensitive skin and hard beard.

Even 20 k suehiro edge can irritation in that section but the ark edge was nice the revisor is a vintage full hollow and it really is s good razor honed up brill but can Produce a top sharper edge but of the ark it’s the best it’s been . I have read post where some guys get harsh edges with black Arkansas and there to sharp that put me of buying one . I glad I brought one I can see me using it . I mainly brought it for my Mastro Livi razors as I was told by his staff he uses one after the coticule.

Yes the comfort was there there is doubt about that I couldn’t fault the edge . I have good results with the welsh slate at the expense of not so comfy but the Arkansas edge I noticed a difference straight away across the grain was perfect and against the grain was great for my skin I have no irritation what so over . One of the reasons I barely shave against the grain under my chin that section is due to irritation in that area . I have sensitive skin and hard beard.

Even 20 k suehiro edge can irritation in that section but the ark edge was nice the revisor is a vintage full hollow and it really is s good razor honed up brill but can Produce a top sharper edge but of the ark it’s the best it’s been . I have read post where some guys get harsh edges with black Arkansas and there to sharp that put me of buying one . I glad I brought one I can see me using it . I mainly brought it for my Mastro Livi razors as I was told by his staff he uses one after the coticule.

Honestly I think the key you mentioned there is “after the Coticule”. I find the ark let’s me still feel one stone previous. I have no doubt I could make a rough ark edge that looks polished to the naked eye, but any good natural midrange progression really lets it shine. Im like you with the shaving passes too, a good ark edge is one of just a few I’ll use to go against the grain on my jaw line and chin. I haven’t ever used a synthetic edge that’s been comfortable there, and my Cotis can all do it but with just a bit of tugging and drama.

I think all your effort prepping the stone surface probably paid off too. Dans are usable right out of the box, but not polished to the point of real peak performance.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here’s one that has a pretty high cool factor. Someone shaped it on 5 sides with a hammer and then made a box for it. It weighs just over 5 pounds
1807D85A-A7E1-407E-95B0-8075E313DCA1.jpeg
92D30470-0CD3-4966-9A9E-176C2E752D8A.jpeg

David

Gary glad the ark worked out for you. They’re great for knives as well

David

Where on earth do you keep finding these?? If these are on eBay I need to up my eBay ninja skills big time.
This one came from eBay. I think the size and shape scared everyone off because I got it for pretty cheap. I’d love to know how old it is.

Ugh. It’s been maybe 2-3 hours of lapping the bottom of my convex ark. Would a diamond plate make it go faster?

David

Ugh. It’s been maybe 2-3 hours of lapping the bottom of my convex ark. Would a diamond plate make it go faster?
Yes, for about 15 minutes then it would die. What are you using? SIC is your friend.

Top Bottom