What's new

Are expensive brushes that much better?

Dear B&B

When I started real shaving almost four years ago I was skeptical about the benefits of upgrading my cheap no-name brush. Six months ago I was forced to upgrade after the old brush started to shed too many hairs.

I bought an EJ Medium Best to replace the old brush and have since restored a couple of vintage brushes using TGN Finest and Silvertip Grade A knots. I also have a Semogue Owners Club on its way.

These brushes have significantly improved the quality of my shave and the condition of my skin. I now understand the benefits of a good brush.

So my question is, will I see similar improvement by investing in a top end brush? I really like the look of a Simpsons Chubby 2 but before spending that much money I would like to know if top end brushes are that much better that the $40-50 brushes that I already have?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Last edited:
I doubt it. Paying 3X the price isn't likely to deliver 3X the performance. Once past a certain price point, it becomes more about soft/backbone preferences and more expensive materials. Although good boars can deliver a similar level of performance for a lot less $$, IMO.

You've already got 2 restores and a SOC. I'd see what they do for you first, but I wouldn't be expecting a top shelf branded silvertip to be much different to what you have.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you want a good brush for a cheap price, I would recommend buying a vintage brush handle, pull out the knot, get a new knot, glue it in there. 20 mins, all done!

If you want a good brush for a cheap price, I would recommend buying a vintage brush handle, pull out the knot, get a new knot, glue it in there. 20 mins, all done!

I have done a couple of restores and I am very happy with the results. Both brushes perform very well and are miles better than my original cheap brush. I was wondering whether I would see a significant difference between these and a high end brush like a Chubby 2.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have done a couple of restores and I am very happy with the results. Both brushes perform very well and are miles better than my original cheap brush. I was wondering whether I would see a significant difference between these and a high end brush like a Chubby 2.

I didn't try the Chubby 2 but, the restore is nicer IMO. The handle itself is the thing to look for...

You have already done a couple of restores. IMO spending $x on a restore will give you a brush that is worth $2x at retail. If you are looking for a luxury experience, a more expensive brush may be part of that but I doubt that the performance will be much better than the brushes you already have.

I doubt it. Paying 3X the price isn't likely to deliver 3X the performance. Once past a certain price point, it becomes more about soft/backbone preferences and more expensive materials. Although good boars can deliver a similar level of performance for a lot less $$, IMO.

You've already got 2 restores and a SOC. I'd see what they do for you first, but I wouldn't be expecting a top shelf branded silvertip to be much different to what you have.

Thanks, good feedback. I half expected that the improvement curve flattens out after a certain point. I may well decide to buy a high end brush anyway but, if I do, I would like to do so with my eyes open, so thanks again.

<snip>
So my question is, will I see similar improvement by investing in a top end brush? I really like the look of a Simpsons Chubby 2 but before spending that much money I would like to know if top end brushes are that much better that the $40-50 brushes that I already have?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Paul,

I've asked the same question in the distant past and got non-answers like you have so far. (Drubbing: I can appreciate your post, but it's hypothetical.)

I know that past $40-50 we're probably in the land of diminishing returns, but I think it would be great if several folks could articulate their opinions about the difference between mid and high end badger brushes.

Steve

Paul,

I've asked the same question in the distant past and got non-answers like you have so far. (Drubbing: I can appreciate your post, but it's hypothetical.)

I know that past $40-50 we're probably in the land of diminishing returns, but I think it would be great if several folks could articulate their opinions about the difference between mid and high end badger brushes.

Steve

I'd say that difference between $$$ brushes and $ brushes is the same difference between $$$ soaps and $ soaps, $$$ colognes and $ colognes, etc.

i.e. nobody should be fooling themselves into thinking that the brush they spend $$$ on is going to completely change the shaving experience. It'll still make lather and apply it, just like your other brushes. The differences are subtle, and aimed at the connoisseur. Softer, scrubbier, prettier... take your pick.

People buy $$$ brushes because it's fun. I wanted to try a Simpson, so I did! Capitalism is awesome. A well made product has a universal appeal, and a well made brush will last for years. You can sell the brush if you don't like it and not lose much money at all, because there are hundreds of people who want to try "expensive" brushes too. It's just important to remember that money and quality are not directly correlated. In your case, I wouldn't recommended a Plisson, and I don't think I'll ever buy a Plisson, but they are beautiful, beautiful brushes made of the highest quality materials. Plisson hasn't gone out of business for a reason.

Overall: buying a new brush you satiate your desire to buy things, your desire for physical pleasure, and your curiosity.

And I enjoy my $$$ brushes. Very much so.

Last edited:
An expensive brush like a simpsons chubby 2 or polo 12 in silvertip DO make the whole experience more enjoyable and give you an overall feel of luxury wich is something nice imo.
I have noticed the difference in how certain brushes in the $200 and up range do make better lather period, same soap-cream combination with one of those brushes and the lather is created faster and the consistency is thicker and creamier , i think this is due to the density and quality of hair and the capacity it has to retain water.

HAVING SAID THAT....a $200 brush IS NOT 3 times better than a $65 brush....i found really good brushes for under $100 that are great, feel great and last for ever.....

In my opinion the best brush for under $100 is a shavemac silvertip and for under $200 edwin jagger silvertip extra large......dude.....they are the bomb....

what i think is ridiculous is dropping $500 on a plisson with a horn handle....that is in my opinion just not necessary.....but if you do enjoy wet shaving....i say you owe to yourself try a couple brushes in the range i just mentioned.:001_cool:

Legion

Staff member
IMO you have hit the sweet spot with tgn high end knots. They are going to work about as well as any brush out there. After that you are starting to spend money on brand names and snob factor. That is fine if the exclusivity is a draw card, but thinking that they are going to do a much better job... You might be disappointed.

Hello,

I think there is a tipping point where spending money does get you a nicer brush but not necessarily a better one in terms of performance and endurance.

I personally do not like cheap brushes. Even in the short run they do not seem to provide satisfying results and are IMHO no fair value for money. In Europe those brushes cost like 10 euro or less.

Really good brushes start from like 25 euro's to 100 euros here. For that money you can buy a lot of Semogues and Simpsons. From my limited experience this seems to be the sweet spot.

That said, I have no extensive experience with the really expensive ones, so there might be a surprise in all those Plissons and expensive Rooneys.

Paul,

Steve
Not hypothetical - it's widely acknowledged around here you don't get linear improvement in performance with vastly increased cost. I've got a Rooney Silvertip, and started with a $50 badger. The Silvertip makes no better lather, but is fatter and has a nice face feel. That's what you pay for, extra softness, fatness and backbone.

I now prefer boars because they do everything a silvertip can for a fraction of the price. Even if I'd not bought an expensive badger before that experience, I probably would have to see what the fuss is about. A lot of fuss and extra cost is all, IMO.

They feel nice, but the cost/performance ratio isn't worth it to me.

Last edited:
I'd say around $100. Simpsons brushes in best, Shavemac brushes in Finest/Silvertip in that range will be noticeably better than cheaper brushes and as good as higher end ones. As for the difference between these and less expensive brushes? Density and overall build quality, I'd say. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing if you're going to be happy with a $10 Omega other than trying them.

I'd say around $100. Simpsons brushes in best, Shavemac brushes in Finest/Silvertip in that range will be noticeably better than cheaper brushes and as good as higher end ones. As for the difference between these and less expensive brushes? Density and overall build quality, I'd say. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing if you're going to be happy with a $10 Omega other than trying them.

I would have to second all the enablers. You won't know unless you try!

:I think you will run into the price/quality effect seen on many quality items. After a certain point you pay 10X for a 10% increase in quality. That increase in quality may or may not even be detectable to you- however, if it is detectable to you then it becomes very hard to go back-this can be very expensive! This is true for high line optics, custom clothing, custom knives and firearms, etc. etc. The trick is to appreciate each item for its intrinsic value rather than comparative-that way you can happily amass large numbers of your hobby item at all different price points and enjoy them all. Please don't ask me how I know this!!:blush::laugh:

Your first question should have been amongst those who have high end brushes who thinks....? No doubt guys with economy brushes think buying better brushes is a waste of money.

I have better brushes and as you pay for hair grade differences the qualities change and it's a matter of how important they are to you. Handle materials have nothing to do with performance.

Top Bottom