What's new

Are DE Blade Prices Increasing?

I put many types of DE blades on my Amazon wish list last year. By Nov 2019, most of the prices were down, but that's changing. It is becoming harder to find 100 blade orders on Amazon searches. There are more choices with fewer blades and a higher price/blade. I decided to hoard some blades before starting a 10-year Sabbatical in January.

I own some of these, and they work well for me.
100 Gillette Wilkinson Sword​
100 Astra SP​

I like yellow and the box is yellow
100 Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge (yellow)​

Last edited:
Some are increasing and I suppose some aren't. The ones I like seem to be rising in price because of either rumors or production issues. Namely Polsilver Super Iridiums, which have been plagued by rumors that production stopped. They just changed plants. Same with Gillette Silver Blues. Neither of the rumors are true.

Astra SP aren't that expensive (yet) if you buy them in quantities of 300. Last I checked, it was $25 for 3 (100 blade) cartons, which is about $8.33 a pack (not bad). I don't see those increasing dramatically in price as the years go by. You can also always look toward the Indian market if any blade gets prohibitively expensive, but as much use as you get out of your blades, I think you're set for a good long time.

I see some great deals, but a lot more fluctuations in price. Like you are talking about, there are sellers trying to game the system by selling smaller quantities at higher price per blade.

Just an example:
Astra SS
seller 1: $7.50 / 100
seller 2: $7.40 / 30
seller 3: $7.85 / 50

Maybe they hope buyers aren't paying too much attention on the quantities and order from the wrong listing? Then again, 100 blades is quite a large quantity and many people probably prefer to buy blades in smaller quantities.

There are good deals, but a lot of manipulative sellers like an Oriental bazaar.

BTW:
Silver Star 7.99/100 (pretty good deal at 7.9 cents per blade)

Blades are dirt cheap right now.

I remember in 2008 or so when a 100 pack of yellow 7 o clocks or Russian platinums cost $40. (These are now $13 or $15 shipped)

Even in 2011, a 100 pack of astras was $18. (Now $7.50 shipped)

You are in the golden age of de blade prices and availability. Stock up while you can.

The longer you de shave, the more times your favorite blades will get discontinued.

I remember in 2008 or so when a 100 pack of yellow 7 o clocks or Russian platinums cost $40. (These are now $13 or $15 shipped)

You are in the golden age of de blade prices and availability. Stock up while you can.

The longer you de shave, the more times your favorite blades will get discontinued.

^ This. Many blades are half or a third of what they cost 6 or 12 years ago. We are in a golden age for sure.

I've noticed in very recent weeks that the prices on GSBs and Wizamets, my two main blades and the only ones I'm actively buying right now, have plummeted. It was just in November that several sellers were asking $85 for a 250-sleeve of Wizamets, now they are make-an-offer with the listed price at $80 for 2 sleeves. So that's more than a 50 % price plunge in one month. Today I bought GSBs for sub $12, which I don't think is a price that has ever been seen before for that blade. $15 has been the standard price for several years, and before that, much, much more.

Even Yellows, which are very "in" right now, can be had for $12 per hundred on the Bay, which is $5 less per hundred than they were just six months ago. I bought my stash of Yellows in the $17-18 range and thought it was a fair price at the time. Feel a bit like a sucker now LOL

Only Feathers and Med Preps seem to be completely exempt from the downward price trends, as far as I can see. They've definitely gone up in price.

i also think de blade prices are increasing, like i saw personna lab blues for $11 last December, now its $17 or $14 after discount/sale. personna is just an example every blade i see has atleast increased by $1 or more for 100pack.
i think instead of amazon, buy via ebay for better deals. you can still get good prices if you search properly and wait for sale events.

+1! We are in a golden age for DE blades!! :a14: :a14:

Just check the ’sale‘ prices for the newest Gillette carts!!

The consumers are in the golden ages. The sellers are in a deep depression. If this situation was part of a novel I was writing, I'd find a way to make DE blades illegal.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This is a web site everyone should have bookmarked. With a 100 blade purchase shipping is free and tracked. Over all their prices are better than most with a few exceptions. For instance, Timor is more expensive than it is from Connaught Shaving. Their blade selection is undoubtedly huge.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Gotta order some more med preps for the sabbatical. I’m working out a made in USA theme for at least one of the four years of leap year. The brush is the hard part.

Gotta order some more med preps for the sabbatical. I’m working out a made in USA theme for at least one of the four years of leap year. The brush is the hard part.

Consider a vintage EverReady or order a custom from Rudy Vey (who does great work)! :a14: :a14:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Consider a vintage EverReady or order a custom from Rudy Vey (who does great work)! :a14: :a14:

Vintage would be the way. It would need to be NOS as I'm not a brush re-user except the one from my Dad, which may actually have been made in the US. The problem is that one is starting to fail and I'm sure many NOS will probably fail as well.

Custom ones would be great. The handle is no issue. Millions of lathes in the United States, but not one American knot maker using locally sourced hair. Horse would be perfectly fine, there should be no issues sourcing that in the United States, but no one is doing it (that I'm aware of, and I've looked) If you or anyone knows of someone making brushes sourced and made here, I'm all ears.

you may find that its just a case of sellers splitting down packs off 100 and selling them in smaller amounts with a higher mark up, as like me most will buy say ten blades as a first . then if the blade suits they go buy the 100.000 pack.

This is a web site everyone should have bookmarked. With a 100 blade purchase shipping is free and tracked. Over all their prices are better than most with a few exceptions. For instance, Timor is more expensive than it is from Connaught Shaving. Their blade selection is undoubtedly huge.

I can't believe I had never visited that website!

I just looked at Astra SP's on Google shopping. They are almost twice the price as Amazon.

Fortunately, I have a lifetime supply of blades.

Well paying six cents per blade and getting three shaves out of a blade, I'd say at two cent a shave it's a good deal. This seems like the ONE thing since 1940 that has actually become cheaper?

Top Bottom