What's new

Aquatic/Marine that's not so sharp

I'm not that good at describing scents but I'm looking for an aquatic/marine type scent that isn't so sharp/bright. I've recently tried Zingari Man Navigator and PAA Old Salty. I kind of like Old Salty but both of these scents come off as a little too strong and bright to my nose. I feel like they would benefit from something else in there to balance out that crisp, salty marine scent. Perhaps something more earthy, woody, or maybe a little spicy?

Any recommendations on something that might fit that (lousy) description? I'm specifically looking for something available in a soap/AS combo rather than a cologne.

Barrister and Mann Waves? Maybe you can get a sample. I know there is a spicy aquatic out there, maybe in was Wholly Kaw... I will check a couple more places.

Yep, the WK is Tempest
The one I was trying to think of is Chiseled Face Trade Winds

Last edited:
Barrister and Mann Waves? Maybe you can get a sample. I know there is a spicy aquatic out there, maybe in was Wholly Kaw... I will check a couple more places.

Yep, the WK is Tempest
The one I was trying to think of is Chiseled Face Trade Winds
Tempest looks like exactly what I’m looking for and trade winds sounds interesting enough to at least try.

in there to balance out that crisp, salty marine scent.
I'm specifically looking for something available in a soap/AS combo
I do not think I am going to be of much help rather the latter, as opposed to an EDT/EDC. To me there are aquatics/marine scents, and there are aquatics/marine scents. Some, like Cool Water and its offsping, have that calone, I think it is the note that smells like it seems like water should smell, but water really does not smell like that. I do not think of these as crisp or salty. Then there are scents that smell like salty seawater and driftwood at the beach, with iodine, salt, and other notes. Often with some vetiver. Heeley Sel Mare, along with the discontinued Annick Goutal vetiver for men, are of this type. The Heeley might be exactly what you are looking for based on what you wrote. Then there are the at the beach scents that generally smell like suntan lotions, which I really like. Imaginary Authors Falling into the Sea and Bond No. 9 Fire Island would be two of these, but I do not think they are what you are talking about.

lasta

Blade Biter
See if you can find Beth Terry Mare on ebay. The absolute purest smooth aquatic I've come across during my years with the Basenotes crowd.

I placed an order with Maggard Razors yesterday. They didn't have a sample size of WK Tempest so i took a chance on a full tub of soap plus the toner. I also grabbed samples of Declaration Grooming Shore and Chiseled Face Trade Winds. Hopefully Tempest is what I'm looking for because that's some pretty expensive soap at $30.

I placed an order with Maggard Razors yesterday. They didn't have a sample size of WK Tempest so i took a chance on a full tub of soap plus the toner. I also grabbed samples of Declaration Grooming Shore and Chiseled Face Trade Winds. Hopefully Tempest is what I'm looking for because that's some pretty expensive soap at $30.
At least you have a top tier soap that will be different than what you have. 😬
(I am a bit nervous about this. Did you get the 11% off at least?)

At least you have a top tier soap that will be different than what you have. 😬
(I am a bit nervous about this. Did you get the 11% off at least?)
11%? Is that for signing up for a newsletter? I mussed have missed it. This is my third order from MR and I've yet to use any kind of discount. Oh well, maybe next time.

I received my package from Maggard Razors today and i'm pretty underwhelmed by Tempest. Not only do I not pick up much of an aquatic scent but I can barely smell anything at all. Subtle would be an understatement. If i smell the soap i pick up a bit of the moist dirt scent and some other stange notes I couldn't possible describe. It's vaguely similar to PAA's Tera Preta but barely detectable by my nose. I put a dab of the splash on my skin and wasn't even sure I could smell anything. I'll give it a full test with an upcoming shave but i doubt it's going to magically transform to something worth keeping.

Wasn't a fan of Chiseled Face's Trade Winds, especially after the dry down. Declaration Grooming's Shore is quite pleasant but still not sure it's what I'm looking for.

This is what I think an aquatic should smell like.
s817072-main-zoom.jpg

I'm quite late but I liked Fougeres marine by Montale. Its not quite a full on fougere and not quite a full on aquatic. More fougere than aquatic though. Creed Millesime Imperial is my favourite aquatic scent. Very smooth, bright, sweet and energetic.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
An aquatic that's not so sharp...hmmmm. I'm thinking that Black Ship Grooming has a few. High Seas and Shipwreck Cove are nice. Fine Aquamarine is also good.

+1 on the Bvlgari. But good luck finding soap, etc.

And if you were looking for a cologne (or EdT in this case) the easiest one to find that checks all the boxes is Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme. The original. It used to be the standard bearer for the genre and is now a veritable old timer. I think a lot of people have forgotten how good it is.

This years flanker has more bite, if you like that kind of thing.

Wasn't a fan of Chiseled Face's Trade Winds, especially after the dry down. Declaration Grooming's Shore is quite pleasant but still not sure it's what I'm looking for.
Trade Winds was a miss for me too, the cucumber component was just funky to me.

Maybe saponificio varesino 70th. It's mostly Citrus and some vetiver to my nose, but there's calone in it.

I'm also a big fan of davidoff cool water,which has aquatic and some spice to it. Also like polo blue/ultra blue. Those two are obviously more "blue" than the SV 70th, which would come closer to aqua Di gio.

Someone recommended Trafalgar, which should also fit your needs.

Top Bottom