What's new

Appalachian Trail - Deep Gap to Neels Gap

Back home after a four day, three night backpacking trip with my wife on the AT. We went southbound from Deep Gap, NC to Neels Gap, GA to finish off all the AT miles in Georgia (we had previously done the Approach Trail to Neels Gap). It was a fantastic trip with some cold nights! Some highlights:

We drove up to Blairsville, GA on Saturday and spent the night. Sunday morning we left our car at the Byron Reese trailhead (about 1/4 mile down the road from Neels) and got a shuttle to Deep Gap. We did an easy 11.1 mile to Plumorchard Gap Shelter, where we met a SOBO thru-hiker who was finishing the trail on Thanksgiving Day. It rained that night so we had to pack up wet tents.

Monday was a much harder 15.1 mile day. The hardest part for me was the climb out of Dick's Creek Gap. We camped at Tray Mountain Shelter with a lot of other people. By the time we got there it was 35 degrees and the wind was blowing. Setting up our tents was a challenge. The wind blew hard until about 2-3 a.m. When we woke up the thermometer on my pack said 21 degrees. A guy nearby said he left his outside and it showed 19 degrees. We ate breakfast in our tents, broke camp, and got moving.

Once we got moving on Tuesday the miles went pretty quick, doing 15.3 to Low Gap Shelter. Enjoyed dinner with another couple before retiting to our tents. It only got down to 28 that night! Wednesday we only had 11.3 miles to finish at Neels. There were a few hard climbs, such as out of Testnatee Gap to Cowrock Mountain and the last climb before the descent into Neels. But we made good time, finishing around 3 (includes a stop for lunch).

We had booked a room at Unicoi State Park & Lodge for the next two nights and enjoyed their Thanksgiving dinner, grateful that we are able to return to running water, flushing toilets, seat with a back, and not having to filter our water. Couple of my favorite pictures from the trip.

at1.jpg

at4.jpg

Back home after a four day, three night backpacking trip with my wife on the AT. We went southbound from Deep Gap, NC to Neels Gap, GA to finish off all the AT miles in Georgia (we had previously done the Approach Trail to Neels Gap). It was a fantastic trip with some cold nights! Some highlights:

We drove up to Blairsville, GA on Saturday and spent the night. Sunday morning we left our car at the Byron Reese trailhead (about 1/4 mile down the road from Neels) and got a shuttle to Deep Gap. We did an easy 11.1 mile to Plumorchard Gap Shelter, where we met a SOBO thru-hiker who was finishing the trail on Thanksgiving Day. It rained that night so we had to pack up wet tents.

Monday was a much harder 15.1 mile day. The hardest part for me was the climb out of Dick's Creek Gap. We camped at Tray Mountain Shelter with a lot of other people. By the time we got there it was 35 degrees and the wind was blowing. Setting up our tents was a challenge. The wind blew hard until about 2-3 a.m. When we woke up the thermometer on my pack said 21 degrees. A guy nearby said he left his outside and it showed 19 degrees. We ate breakfast in our tents, broke camp, and got moving.

Once we got moving on Tuesday the miles went pretty quick, doing 15.3 to Low Gap Shelter. Enjoyed dinner with another couple before retiting to our tents. It only got down to 28 that night! Wednesday we only had 11.3 miles to finish at Neels. There were a few hard climbs, such as out of Testnatee Gap to Cowrock Mountain and the last climb before the descent into Neels. But we made good time, finishing around 3 (includes a stop for lunch).

We had booked a room at Unicoi State Park & Lodge for the next two nights and enjoyed their Thanksgiving dinner, grateful that we are able to return to running water, flushing toilets, seat with a back, and not having to filter our water. Couple of my favorite pictures from the trip.

View attachment 1368688

View attachment 1368690
What a GREAT way to spend Thanksgiving!!

Great adventure!! I found it awfully chilly at night at the bottom of the Grand Canyon last December when it got down to high 20s at night. The $20 eBay tent didn't help much! We'd have been in big trouble if we'd had any precipitation or wind.

Sounds like a great trip. I’m currently getting in shape for a backpacking trip this summer. I just got a backpack at REI last weekend. I’m carrying 16 pounds in it now. Then will increase it in a little while.

Im looking at the Hyke &Byke one person tent. then a bear canister will be the next purchase. I have a Mountain Hardware down bag and a down jacket.

any tips for someone who hasn’t backpacked in 15 years?

Sounds like a great trip. I’m currently getting in shape for a backpacking trip this summer. I just got a backpack at REI last weekend. I’m carrying 16 pounds in it now. Then will increase it in a little while.

Im looking at the Hyke &Byke one person tent. then a bear canister will be the next purchase. I have a Mountain Hardware down bag and a down jacket.

Depending on where you are at, don't buy a bear canister prematurely. Some areas have very specific requirements and rentals can make more sense. As for the down, you might want to look into how to manage moisture on a multi day trip. Generally, you want to make sure you have some synthetic insulation. A thin pullover(jumper) might be a literal lifesaver if you wind up having to sleep in a damp bag.

If you are doing a summer trip, you might be able to get by with a synthetic quilt instead. Looked up that tent - 4 pounds is heavy for a one person tent. Even some of the REI tents are lighter than that. There's an old saying: cheap, light, warm - pick two. Don't buy boots - trail running shoes are so much more comfortable.

Like someone else said, hold off on the bear canister unless regulations require it. Those things are two pounds when empty. You could do the bear bag/throw a line over a branch thing, or get an Ursack (what I ended up doing). There's a slight weight penalty but I'm happy to pay it since it means I don't have to search for the perfect branch.

Don't scrimp on your pack, shelter, sleeping bag/quilt, and sleeping pad. Cut corners (and costs) almost anywhere else. Here's some budget but still very good options for gear. I use all of these.

Trekking poles: Cascade Mountain Tech - get the carbon fiber ones. Mine have been on so many trips and are still going strong.
Headlamp: Nitecore NU25 - Lightweight, rechargeable, has a red light option, very bright. No need to look further.
Stove: BRS3000T - Looks like a cheap little thing, but just keeps going.
Cook Pot: Get whatever size you need from Toaks.

Gear has come a long way. Lots of really good lightweight stuff. Lots of info out there. Remember: ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

A friend said I could borrow her tent that weighs just over a pound. So that makes me happy. another told me about the synthetic blankets instead of a bag and rental bear canister. It’s required where we are going.

I haven’t had a chance to check out my friends tent yet. We have some points and a coupon for REI. Wife said today, “ you need to buy that tent you want this weekend. The coupon expires Sunday.” So I’m looking at the quarter dome 1 and 2 person tent! I’m going shopping tomorrow!

If you are doing a summer trip, you might be able to get by with a synthetic quilt instead. Looked up that tent - 4 pounds is heavy for a one person tent. Even some of the REI tents are lighter than that. There's an old saying: cheap, light, warm - pick two. Don't buy boots - trail running shoes are so much more comfortable.

Like someone else said, hold off on the bear canister unless regulations require it. Those things are two pounds when empty. You could do the bear bag/throw a line over a branch thing, or get an Ursack (what I ended up doing). There's a slight weight penalty but I'm happy to pay it since it means I don't have to search for the perfect branch.

Don't scrimp on your pack, shelter, sleeping bag/quilt, and sleeping pad. Cut corners (and costs) almost anywhere else. Here's some budget but still very good options for gear. I use all of these.

Trekking poles: Cascade Mountain Tech - get the carbon fiber ones. Mine have been on so many trips and are still going strong.
Headlamp: Nitecore NU25 - Lightweight, rechargeable, has a red light option, very bright. No need to look further.
Stove: BRS3000T - Looks like a cheap little thing, but just keeps going.
Cook Pot: Get whatever size you need from Toaks.

Gear has come a long way. Lots of really good lightweight stuff. Lots of info out there. Remember: ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.
I took your advice and got a Toaks 750 ml pot. I ended up with an REI quarter dome 2 tent (3 pounds) wife took me to REI today for my early birthday present and I got the Magma trail quilt. It weighs 1 pound less than my old bag. Also got the cascade carbon fiber trekking poles.

Top Bottom