What's new

Tent Camping

Just got back from some car camping and hiking in the Lost Coast.

Will be be breaking out the lightweight backpacking gear next Spring and apply for a permit to hike the 25 mile Lost Coast Trail. Still deciding if I want to go really light ad just tarp it (did that for the Colorado Trail and it worked out really well) or bring a lightweight tent. After using a tarp for multi-day hikes it's hard to go back to a tent.

View attachment 1668132

View attachment 1668126

View attachment 1668129

View attachment 1668130

View attachment 1668131
We hiked the Lost Coast trail 2 years ago in perfect weather the entire 3 days. But on the North coast there is no guarantees weather wise.
The trail is fairly flat, but not that easy because of the sand and rocks. And 2 or 3 points can not be passed at high tide.
It was a great experience, you'll love it!

We hiked the Lost Coast trail 2 years ago in perfect weather the entire 3 days. But on the North coast there is no guarantees weather wise.
The trail is fairly flat, but not that easy because of the sand and rocks. And 2 or 3 points can not be passed at high tide.
It was a great experience, you'll love it!
For sure. I hiked a bit of it while I was there. Know all about watching the tides and having tide charts handy. I'll be doing the trail in late March 2024 and have already picked the days based on the tides for that week I have available and have a reminder set for the day they release 2024 permits. The days I picked have huge low tide windows from around 8am to 9pm each day, so a huge hiking window with no chance of getting caught. Only downfall about March is it's considered the "shoulder season", so not optimal conditions that you usually get in May-September, and may be a little colder and more rain than usual. Either way, it's still part of the fun IMO!

I've done plenty of ultralight hiking with tarps, homemade alcohol Pepsi can stoves and a bit of other homemade gear. Now that I'm a bit older I still like going light but don't mind carrying a little more weight to have a bigger tarp, a more comfortable pack, etc., but still strip it down to the bare essentials and think that would really pay off on that particular trail. Saw so many hikers carrying way too much gear for a 3-4 day trip. All those hikers with giant packs said they were taking 4 days one way and you could see how deep their shoe prints were in the sand because of all the weight they were carrying. Ran into a couple other guys; one did it in a day and a half, and the other in 2 days and both were turning around and doing it as an out and back. they were carrying much smaller packs and way less gear than the others. I've covered 25 miles per day on the Colorado Trail, but even after only doing about 7 miles on the Lost Coast Trail this past week, the sand definitely slows you down and felt it the next 2 days with muscles I haven't used that way in a while! Kept looking for signs of a trail up on the bluffs which was very welcomed compared to the beach hiking.

Black Balsam NC. This tree tent has saved my back. It is a bit of a pain to set up and get level.

IMG_2795.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG
IMG_2799.JPG

My parents would take us tent camping a lot when I was young. There never was a lot of money so that meant tent camping in generic gear like Coleman 6 man dome tent, cheap air mattresses and sleeping bags. I don't know how many times those cheap air mattresses let us down by deflating throughout the night. Somehow you'd always wake up in the morning having slept throughout the night on a conch shell that you didn't see when setting up camp!

I do have a three man REI tent that I picked up in Alaska when I went up with a friend to pick up his truck and other stuff he needed for University. We would camp along the way as we traveled back to central BC.

My wife used to tent a lot as a kid, but now that we have a kid together she refuses to stay in a tent. The way she see's it, bears will kill you and everyone you love if given the chance, so we picked up a 1974 Boler when my son was 4 months old. I was a bit against it at first, but I'm older now and have really come to appreciate being off the ground and out of the elements.

I took my son on many backpacking and camping trips when he was young, 3 - 16 years old. After 16 he wasn't too excited to go anymore because he wanted to hang out with his friends and not his dad. Recently though, now that he is in his late 20's he wants to go backpacking with me again which I was glad to hear. Fortunately I am still fit enough to go! Several times recently he has brought up the cool trips we used to go on in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I am glad all that effort back then created some good memories for him! For backpacking we mostly used Black Diamond bivy's and a Sil Tarp for when it rained. This is a fairly light, flexible, super fast to set up and durable kit that doesn't require much space to carry or to set up in. For camping we used a variety of tents from two man up to 6 man. These are some old photos from back then.
P1000252.JPG
P1000357.JPG
P1000318.JPG

Ever tried hammock camping? They'd do well in that terrain.

Especially in this hot weather. I bought an underquilt for my Blackbird last year, and never got to use it.

AA
I haven't, but thought about it when I ended up getting this little Una. I have a buddy who has a bigger one and the bigger one surprisingly is easier to set up. So I got fooled and the Una was the previous year model so I got it really cheap about half or less the price of a nice hammock setup. I would like to try the hammock though and see the difference. They seem easier to use and pack. I just couldn't pass up a complete tent for $125 they sell for like $300 now.

My son and I have spent a couple nights this summer in the back yard. SWMBO and I are talking about getting geared up and camping in earnest starting in the spring.

Ahh, this thread brings back memories. My folks never took me camping... I was their little Christmas surprise one year and I didn't get to do a lot of things my brother ( 12 years older) and sister (17 years older) did. When I was young and single I camped in a tent a lot. Alas, marriage, family, 3 daughters (2 of which are very much girly girls)... and we've always had a popup camper.

My situation has changed some now. All of my kids are grown except the youngest (she's 8) and I'm separated. I would like to get back into backwoods trekking and camping. Only problem is, I have 50/50 of my youngest and I have her every day I'm not working. I'll have to take time off work to make it happen. The good news is my oldest daughter would love it, so it's a chance to spend one on one time with her.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just got back from a quick weekend trip with the Cub Scout Pack. Overall good time. No serious injuries, caught some Bass, ate some s'mores, and had enough wood to keep the fire burning all day and until everyone went to bed. Not sure why, but I always seem to be the first person to get up at these campouts. I roll out of the sleeping bag around 0530, get the fire going, heat water for everyone, and make coffee. I’m not usually a morning person but when I’m camping it always seems the most peaceful about an hour before the sun comes up.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just got back from a quick weekend trip with the Cub Scout Pack. Overall good time. No serious injuries, caught some Bass, ate some s'mores, and had enough wood to keep the fire burning all day and until everyone went to bed. Not sure why, but I always seem to be the first person to get up at these campouts. I roll out of the sleeping bag around 0530, get the fire going, heat water for everyone, and make coffee. I’m not usually a morning person but when I’m camping it always seems the most peaceful about an hour before the sun comes up.

Sounds great. That last hour of night gives the astronomers a look at winter's stars to come, as well.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Vowing to bushcraft-camp with a tarp this year.

Seeing too many videos of cool shelter builds. I got a Silky saw! I got bank line! :letterk1:

AA

Top Bottom