What's new

AOS prices

Hi, I am currently in Dallas TX and thought I would take a look at an AOS store. I went to their web site for locations and I noticed the prices on Merkur Vision were higher than you could find online.

Vision 2000 Safety Razor $200 from the AOS web site.
Merkur Vision Safety Razor RRP: Price: $115.00 from Lee's Safety Razor

Can I expect the same higher prices on everything they sell? Would they have a good buy on anything in the store?

The only thing you want to be buying at AOS is their soaps, creams, and maybe some their other shaving soft goods. Unless you are in to cartridge razors and/or have some disposable income, everything else is pretty much overpriced nonsense.

I'd've thought that'd be sufficient basis to avoid them completely!

You are quite right, that was my first thought. But then I am ever-mindful that they "might" have something that was a good price they would carry. I am always one to "try" to find a bargain if I can..... If nothing else I am thinking have a look, perhaps be able to get a sample or two, put my hands on a razor and get a feel of the beast - then perhaps I would want to get on line and purchase from someone reasonable.

Almost all AOS stores are in high-rent premium malls. So the prices are high accordingly because they have to pay rent, and most of their clientelle are not penny-pinching B&B members; but rather, mall shoppers with a gold card in their back pocket.

The mall the AoS store is in around here they have the BLACK american express card in they're back pocket or "clutch" or man purse. . .

I only went in there to collect my free sample kit via signing up on they're mail list. I could't belive how much the mark-up on they're stuff was.

Hi, I am currently in Dallas TX and thought I would take a look at an AOS store. I went to their web site for locations and I noticed the prices on Merkur Vision were higher than you could find online.

Vision 2000 Safety Razor $200 from the AOS web site.
Merkur Vision Safety Razor RRP: Price: $115.00 from Lee's Safety Razor

Can I expect the same higher prices on everything they sell? Would they have a good buy on anything in the store?

yes, I also posted a thread about the AOS store in Denver, same crazy prices for the razors but the soaps are nice, a bit on the high sticker also :wink:

I was able to score a brush in fine badger for $40.00, it retails at $110.00. The only way I was able to do that was a men's spa was going out of business and had all AoS stuff on sale. I do like the lavender shave cream a very nice sent and lathers well.

No surprises there then.

They make a great soap but it is especially expensive in England where you can buy just as good a quality soap for much lower prices.

They have also just been bought out by Proctor and Gamble who own Gillette.

Two good reasons to give that product range a miss in future.

I have one adjective to describe AOS prices:
ridiculous...
wait...one more...exorbitant...

Stay away from the P&G evil...

Their retail prices are outrageous. Fortunately a few months back found a nice AOS chrome razor stand/brush/mach 3 handle on Craigslist. The guy wanted $100 for the set, but he accepted $75. He even threw in a travel toiletry bag with some sample colognes.

I use the AOS soaps, creams, balm and pre shave oil. The prices for the AOS shaving products aren't too bad. I waited for the AOS to have a sale and I got 50% percent off of the brush and razor stands. I know a lot of member don't care for the AOS store very much mainly because of their prices. But, I have to say the AOS store was the place that got me started with wet shaving. As far the higher prices on some of their items. You have to take in to affect that at the store you get to see the razor in person and you have someone to answer any questions. That is a big help when you are starting out, especially if you don't know about a great place like B&B.

Last edited:
Well I just got back from the AOS store and I was a bit surprised. Yes the price of the razors were high, and no I did not find a bargain. But I did end up buying a tub of the Sandalwood shaving cream. I suppose per oz it costs more than Kiss my Face or Thom's but it did smell nice. I did not find the sales person to be high pressure at all. What did surprise me was the lack of "stuff" to sell in a shop. Really, they had 4 or 5 Merkur's in a case, several straight razors, 3 shelves of brushes (all house label) then the Shaving cream, ASL, some cartridge razors and stands and that was about it. I guess I was a bit surprised at how little there was for them to market to someone. Sell one or two razors to someone, a brush or two and then it's just shaving cream. A lot of fuss about not nothing.

I can't see that I would go out of my way to go to one of their stores for anything. Oh - I almost forgot - the guy that was there really needed a shave BAD! I felt like asking him did he use the products he sold :shaving:

I got started from AOS as well. Mainly becuase I prefer to see something first hand when I am getting started. I really think the Sandalwood scent is great. Lastly, they offer me a Military Discount! I atleast save a little over the high California taxes!

I will look for other online bargains now that I am learning a little more though.

One more thing about the AOS shop and I will stop . It always seems there are more that disapprove than approve of the AOS shop. I am not trying to say that it is a great place to buy your razor. But, I do like their shaving products and it is a good place to learn about wet shaving. The shop in San Antonio Texas is the only one I have ever gone to. They have always been very nice and helpful to me. With my purchase I got a bunch of free samples and coupons for about 5 shaves.

That said I also agree with AECUSN it is always better to look around for a better price on whatever you buy. :biggrin:

I think their Sandalwood shaving soap is VERY expensive... but I love it!

Oh well, it lasts a long time.

Rob

I like their shaving products... esp the Sandalwood stuff.

You can also find good sales every now-and-then. My wife came home a few months ago with some pre shave oil that was on sale for $8!

Top Bottom