What's new

Anything better than the OneBlade V2 ?

It wasn't the Genesis model I was referring to, it was the Core. The V1 was getting to the customers on or around the 15th in time for Fathers day and somewhere around 20th OB announced there was a V2 that was getting ready to be available for exchange of the V1's and ready to ship within the week... That is just too quick to be coincidence after some 2500 razors had already shipped!! Again, I have my theories but will not bother in here since this thread has gotten way off topic already...
Got it!

Back to your question -
I have a rough, stubbly beard that grows quickly. I have two vintage GEM-type razors, the RR Hawk aluminum, and the ATT SE1, along with the G1 OneBlade. I also have the Feather AC ss, several DEs, and a Gillette fusion cart.

The OneBlade provides the most comfortable, smoothest, and consistent shave of any razor I own. It is also the only razor (other the the Artist Club SS), where I can shave N-S on my neck. The OB is easy to use and practically nick free (although less so than a cart) yet rewards good technique. The shaves are not as close as with a more aggressive razor (e.g. SE1 with Feather Super pro). But the shaves are very close and on par with medium aggression razors (my ikon slant, slim set on 5). Plus, I find I rarely miss any spots with the OB.

If you are looking for a pleasurable shave, I doubt you can match the OneBlade. If you want something that shaves closer, yes, experiment with more aggressive razors, particularly if you have a rough beard.

Good post @Dngolden.

OP asked about smooth and efficiency. Very difficult to answer OPs question because it is dependent upon beard type and his expectations.

I see many posts lately in B&B about achieving BBS shaves. I don't go for BBS for a couple reasons. For the most part it's a waste of time, my beard grows fast and BBS is gone in a few hours so who cares. Second reason is that regardless of razor used, BBS will result in some ingrown with my beard.

I judge a razor by how quickly and efficiently it provides a close comfortable shave in the morning so I can go about my day.

I see countless posts pitting the OB against hyper aggressive razors for a tiny percentage of men looking for shaves that remove the top 3 layers of skin every morning. The OB wasn't designed for that purpose. If you are chasing an aggressive razor move on from the OB.

I bought the OB Core and enjoyed the shaves enough that I upgraded to the OB Genesis. As a note my most used razors are the Cobra Classic, Brass General, Timeless 0.95 OC, Wolfman OC with a .61mm blade gap and a Wolfman OC with a .74mm blade gap. With all the above razors with the exception of the smaller gap Wolfman, I can consistently get a near perfect shave in 2 passes. This morning was my 6th shave with the Genesis and I am getting shaves that are equal to or better than the shaves from any of the above razors. While the Genesis does not require a great deal of technique, I have found it rewards techniques like skin stretching. I have also found that I do apply a little pressure with the Genesis. Otherwise the same 2 pass, XTG and ATG, shave that I always use followed by touch ups along my neck and jaw line. What I have noticed is that the shaves are smooth, long lasting and drama free. For work mornings that is just what I want. If I feel the need to hone my skills, etc, I can pick one of the other razors for weekend duty. I am glad that I decided to buy the OB Genesis and will not be returning it for a refund during the trial period. I am not saying it is the best razor but it has earned a spot in my den.

I bought the OB Core and enjoyed the shaves enough that I upgraded to the OB Genesis. As a note my most used razors are the Cobra Classic, Brass General, Timeless 0.95 OC, Wolfman OC with a .61mm blade gap and a Wolfman OC with a .74mm blade gap. With all the above razors with the exception of the smaller gap Wolfman, I can consistently get a near perfect shave in 2 passes. This morning was my 6th shave with the Genesis and I am getting shaves that are equal to or better than the shaves from any of the above razors. While the Genesis does not require a great deal of technique, I have found it rewards techniques like skin stretching. I have also found that I do apply a little pressure with the Genesis. Otherwise the same 2 pass, XTG and ATG, shave that I always use followed by touch ups along my neck and jaw line. What I have noticed is that the shaves are smooth, long lasting and drama free. For work mornings that is just what I want. If I feel the need to hone my skills, etc, I can pick one of the other razors for weekend duty. I am glad that I decided to buy the OB Genesis and will not be returning it for a refund during the trial period. I am not saying it is the best razor but it has earned a spot in my den.
Good write up. That is pretty much all in a nutshell. It's a drama free razor than can give a high quality shave with minimal input. Doesn't mean that it's perfect, just means it's a smooth operator that practically works with any skin type and beard. As always, there will be exceptions to the norm. But I agree with your overall assessment. 100%.

Nice write up, good to know that Oneblade is at least comparable to those high end razors.

Good write up. That is pretty much all in a nutshell. It's a drama free razor than can give a high quality shave with minimal input. Doesn't mean that it's perfect, just means it's a smooth operator that practically works with any skin type and beard. As always, there will be exceptions to the norm. But I agree with your overall assessment. 100%.

Nice write up, good to know that Oneblade is at least comparable to those high end razors.

The OneBlade is gorgeous in the hand, photos don't do it justice. The Lamborghini of razors.

Thank you guys. I quit smoking so periodically I like to reward myself with something nice with the money that would have went up in smoke. The Genesis was one of those reward purchases. However, I think OB would really have a broader market if they would reduce the price to $300 or under. Even if it the price reduction meant leaving out the leather travel case etc.

Thank you guys. I quit smoking so periodically I like to reward myself with something nice with the money that would have went up in smoke. The Genesis was one of those reward purchases. However, I think OB would really have a broader market if they would reduce the price to $300 or under. Even if it the price reduction meant leaving out the leather travel case etc.
+1

I see many posts lately in B&B about achieving BBS shaves. I don't go for BBS for a couple reasons. For the most part it's a waste of time, my beard grows fast and BBS is gone in a few hours so who cares. Second reason is that regardless of razor used, BBS will result in some ingrown with my beard.

I believe a proper BBS shave is good for people with issues. I can't BBS my face with SE or DE, it takes about the same amount of stroke with either give or take. Open comb GEM razors is the best at achieving a BBS shave. My stubble gets cut down to the root every 24 hours give or take, if a stubble thinks about growing in, it gets cut down to the root again on the next shave.

I can achieve str8 razor shallow angles with a GEM razor. If I cut the comb/guard off, I basically have a str8 razor.

Have you ever seen one of those toys that you squeeze and the eyes pop out and when you release it the eyes go back in?

I believe the skin US squeezing between the comb on the MMOC and causing the stubble to pop up like the eyes and slice them right off. As long as you use str8 razor like pressure, your skin will be fine.

This is just my experience and can only be backed up by the outstanding BBS shaves I've been getting using the GEM blade these past couple of weeks compared to the previous BBS shaves that I thought were outstanding with other razor systems.

I shave my face and head.

I've heard str8 razors were better for your skin, these GEM razors have definitely better for my skin than other systems.

I got to try a One Blade razor in a passaround on one of the shaving forums. It honestly was very impressive. The positives were that it was just about brainless and gave a really smooth comfortable shave. Overall it is a very good razor and one that I wouldn't mind owning if a couple things were different about it.

Now on to the negatives. First off the entry price is very steep which seems to be the main complaint that people have. I've purchased other high dollar razors in the past so that's not stopping me entirely as I'd pick up a used one or catch one of the sales that they do from time to time and deal with the sting of spending that much cash on a razor. The second negative for me is the proprietary blades or should I say the high cost of the proprietary blades. I don't like that they are intentionally making these blades unavailable from any other suppliers and essentially locking the price on them. Third is that the blades are good for one to maybe two shaves then they fall off a cliff in terms of performance. The high price is in the marketing and it's designed in a way for you to keep paying them over and over again.

I was happy to get away from the high cost of carts so I don't want to get back to a razor that's going to put me back into that situation again. If I buy other high end razors I can at least justify the cost, as the blades are dirt cheap for them. So I can at least get some savings over time in comparison the other alternatives.

In terms of what I choose over the One Blade goes, the closest I've found is the Timeless .68 SB razor. The shave is exceptionally smooth and comfortable (like the One Blade) but I can buy the Feather de blades for it for pennies instead of dollars and get about six (or more) really great shaves from a blade. You'll have to pay attention to the angle and pressure with the Timeless as it's not entirely brainless like the One Blade but it's an exceptionally comfortable and forgiving razor like the One Blade is. While I do like the One Blade I'd choose the Timeless .68 SB razor over it every time.

I believe a proper BBS shave is good for people with issues. I can't BBS my face with SE or DE, it takes about the same amount of stroke with either give or take. Open comb GEM razors is the best at achieving a BBS shave. My stubble gets cut down to the root every 24 hours give or take, if a stubble thinks about growing in, it gets cut down to the root again on the next shave.

I can achieve str8 razor shallow angles with a GEM razor. If I cut the comb/guard off, I basically have a str8 razor.

Have you ever seen one of those toys that you squeeze and the eyes pop out and when you release it the eyes go back in?

I believe the skin US squeezing between the comb on the MMOC and causing the stubble to pop up like the eyes and slice them right off. As long as you use str8 razor like pressure, your skin will be fine.

This is just my experience and can only be backed up by the outstanding BBS shaves I've been getting using the GEM blade these past couple of weeks compared to the previous BBS shaves that I thought were outstanding with other razor systems.

I shave my face and head.

I've heard str8 razors were better for your skin, these GEM razors have definitely better for my skin than other systems.

Every beard / face is different. I have some frostbite left over from younger days. I go for BBS with my straight once in a while, but if I did it every day the old frostbite scar tissue flares up. Burns like all hell. Every time I see a review from someone claiming BBS in two passes I scratch that razor right off the list.

CCS is all I want 95% of the time. My OB core provides that. I am guessing the Genesis I have coming will be even better. Incidentally, I paid about $330 landed. I don't want to break any forum rules by listing websites, but if you do some internet digging their are deals to be found. It won't be long and some of the boutique 3 piece manufacturers will be in that same bloody vomit inducing territory.

3 years ago if someone said I'd drop 3 bills on a razor I'd have laughed. Instead I m selling off some DEs that never get used since I discovered the joys of SE's. ATT, Weber, I'm looking at you!

Great write up! I especially like the part where you talk about technique. Yes if a person wants to just do either a very quick 2 or 3 pass shave it will give you a CCS or solid DFS depending on skin and beard type. If you use for example a skin stretching technique. use shorter strokes and a few J hooks here and there were you have some trouble spots you can absolutely obtain a BBS shave if that's what you are shooting for. I've done it at least 3 times since getting my Genesis just to see if I could and also to evaluate how my skin was after the shave. Also I believe it is great for guys that are getting up there in age as their skin is not as tight any longer and it's easier to get weepers or irratation with some of the razors they used as younger men. I really like mine and it's staying in my den.

I got to try a One Blade razor in a passaround on one of the shaving forums. It honestly was very impressive. The positives were that it was just about brainless and gave a really smooth comfortable shave. Overall it is a very good razor and one that I wouldn't mind owning if a couple things were different about it.

Now on to the negatives. First off the entry price is very steep which seems to be the main complaint that people have. I've purchased other high dollar razors in the past so that's not stopping me entirely as I'd pick up a used one or catch one of the sales that they do from time to time and deal with the sting of spending that much cash on a razor. The second negative for me is the proprietary blades or should I say the high cost of the proprietary blades. I don't like that they are intentionally making these blades unavailable from any other suppliers and essentially locking the price on them. Third is that the blades are good for one to maybe two shaves then they fall off a cliff in terms of performance. The high price is in the marketing and it's designed in a way for you to keep paying them over and over again.

I was happy to get away from the high cost of carts so I don't want to get back to a razor that's going to put me back into that situation again. If I buy other high end razors I can at least justify the cost, as the blades are dirt cheap for them. So I can at least get some savings over time in comparison the other alternatives.

In terms of what I choose over the One Blade goes, the closest I've found is the Timeless .68 SB razor. The shave is exceptionally smooth and comfortable (like the One Blade) but I can buy the Feather de blades for it for pennies instead of dollars and get about six (or more) really great shaves from a blade. You'll have to pay attention to the angle and pressure with the Timeless as it's not entirely brainless like the One Blade but it's an exceptionally comfortable and forgiving razor like the One Blade is. While I do like the One Blade I'd choose the Timeless .68 SB razor over it every time.

I would have totally agreed you 3 months ago about the blades and going back to being locked into buying form one source like OB for my blades. That is why I held back for so long from buying one, but they are available at other suppliers now like Maggard's for example which is were I've gotten mine from. Also I'm getting 3 to 4 shaves per blade and the fact that I have a lot of other modern and vintage razors in my rotation that all use different blades I really don't go through them that fast.
I also agree with you on the Timeless it comes in 2nd to me behind the Genesis when it comes to providing a comfortable irritation free shave followed by my Gem 1012, Wolfman Guerrilla, and Blackland Sabre in that order.

I would have totally agreed you 3 months ago about the blades and going back to being locked into buying form one source like OB for my blades. That is why I held back for so long from buying one, but they are available at other suppliers now like Maggard's for example which is were I've gotten mine from. Also I'm getting 3 to 4 shaves per blade and the fact that I have a lot of other modern and vintage razors in my rotation that all use different blades I really don't go through them that fast.
I also agree with you on the Timeless it comes in 2nd to me behind the Genesis when it comes to providing a comfortable irritation free shave followed by my Gem 1012, Wolfman Guerrilla, and Blackland Sabre in that order.

Dragonsbeard have you ever tried a Rockwell 6S or 6C?

Every beard / face is different. I have some frostbite left over from younger days. I go for BBS with my straight once in a while, but if I did it every day the old frostbite scar tissue flares up. Burns like all hell. Every time I see a review from someone claiming BBS in two passes I scratch that razor right off the list.

CCS is all I want 95% of the time. My OB core provides that. I am guessing the Genesis I have coming will be even better. Incidentally, I paid about $330 landed. I don't want to break any forum rules by listing websites, but if you do some internet digging their are deals to be found. It won't be long and some of the boutique 3 piece manufacturers will be in that same bloody vomit inducing territory.

3 years ago if someone said I'd drop 3 bills on a razor I'd have laughed. Instead I m selling off some DEs that never get used since I discovered the joys of SE's. ATT, Weber, I'm looking at you!

I understand...

My turn in the Genesis pass around is coming up, I'm looking forward to the opportunity.

It's not that they aren't available at other suppliers but more of a price fixing thing that the razor maker has going on. $7 for 10 blades isn't all that ideal when I can buy 100 Feather de blades for slightly around the twenty to maybe thirty dollar mark. I do like the One Blade enough to use it as a daily razor but I wouldn't want to have to refrain from using it because of the blade cost especially when I've spent so much cash on it. When I used the razor I took a blade to about six shaves and a serious drop of in quality after the first two shaves. I tried another blade and tried to use it more like a standard DE razor with very good technique to reduce the dependence on the pivot and blade life was still very similar. The first shave was outstanding, the second was very good, then a significant decrease after that. These are just my experiences but I have read of others getting similar results.

Dragonsbeard have you ever tried a Rockwell 6S or 6C?

Yes I have the 6 c. I've only used it once for a quick two pass shave when I firs got it a couple of weeks ago using the # 4 plate. It also had a nice glide to it. I haven't tried the 6 S but i'd imagine it shaves the same.

It's not that they aren't available at other suppliers but more of a price fixing thing that the razor maker has going on. $7 for 10 blades isn't all that ideal when I can buy 100 Feather de blades for slightly around the twenty to maybe thirty dollar mark. I do like the One Blade enough to use it as a daily razor but I wouldn't want to have to refrain from using it because of the blade cost especially when I've spent so much cash on it. When I used the razor I took a blade to about six shaves and a serious drop of in quality after the first two shaves. I tried another blade and tried to use it more like a standard DE razor with very good technique to reduce the dependence on the pivot and blade life was still very similar. The first shave was outstanding, the second was very good, then a significant decrease after that. These are just my experiences but I have read of others getting similar results.
I know what you mean about the quality of the shave after the first two uses. What I usually do is use it with a fresh blade when I want a CCS or looking for a BBS then I clean and take the blade out and mark it. I will use it one more time like that and then I only pull it if I'm doing a touch up shave like the day after I've gotten a BBS from lets say my Timeless and there isn't much there and the OB will take me to right back to a BBS or a CCS if the blade is on it's 4th shave and then I toss it or use it to scrape things with LOL
Like I said I totally get you on the cost of the blades and all your other points but I like the razor not only for it's very comfortable shaves but also I like the way it looks and I'm usually not into modern anything well except cars. Anyway I love the Gunmetal V2 I just got. Had the SS and Dominic at OB made me an offer because I helped him with some questions he had about manufacturing so I only had to pay a minimal amount to upgrade it to a limited edition model and It may be just me but it seems even more efficient and smoother than the SS I had. Or maybe I just wanna believe it does! LOL :thumbsup:

Top Bottom