What's new

Anyone using the Yaqi slant?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have the Yaqi slant and also the Ikon Tek, Muhle R41 and Fatip Piccolo Mk1.

In my experience the Yaqi is the most aggressive of them but possibly the least efficient.

Personally I find the Fatip the most efficient.

YMMV
That's is so funny. I had the opposite experience!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Fresh off the boat from China. I’m intimidated…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what a shavette must feel like. I did a 3 pass with a Merkur 34C and a GSB—not BBS for sure. And THEN removed a ton of hair with that Yaqi slant. Yeoww. Smooth? Yes. Skinned and bleeding? Yes also. I'm going to sell, it. But it answered my question: Do I want to try a shavette...

That's is so funny. I had the opposite experience!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It is amazing just how different people's experiences can be of the same thing!

For my part, I use aggressive razors most of the time. I get the closest, longest lasting shaves with the Fatip. The Tek and the R41 are only a smidgen behind but are not as smooth and comfortable in use.

The Yaqi is the only DE razor I have ever cut myself with (and repeatedly). Don't get me wrong, it shaves close but I don't find I can get as good a finish as with the others.

Maybe things will improve with time and use...

This is what a shavette must feel like. I did a 3 pass with a Merkur 34C and a GSB—not BBS for sure. And THEN removed a ton of hair with that Yaqi slant. Yeoww. Smooth? Yes. Skinned and bleeding? Yes also. I'm going to sell, it. But it answered my question: Do I want to try a shavette...
Don't sell it yet. Try with very little pressure. It took me a bit to understand that's how to use it as I bled at first too. It's really only good for the first pass with heavy hair growth. After that you want to use a mild razor. Seems silly to use two for one shave, but that's what works for me. Give it a try.

I've been using the Yaqi slant frequently since I got it about six weeks ago. I used the Ikon Tech daily for over a year; have had Karve w/E plate, R41, Razorock Jaws, Futur, GC84OC, Parker Variant (wide open), Rockwell 6S w/6 plate, Fatip Piccolo...I've used aggressive razors for years. At under $10, I was pretty skeptical about the Yaqi, but after a short learning curve, I got the closest shave ever with little irritation (GSB blade). So impressed I ordered the Yaqi Beast. First shave yesterday and second today: as close a shave as the slant and gentle enough for me (average skin sensitivity) to be a daily razor. To say the least, I really like these razors!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've been using the Yaqi slant frequently since I got it about six weeks ago. I used the Ikon Tech daily for over a year; have had Karve w/E plate, R41, Razorock Jaws, Futur, GC84OC, Parker Variant (wide open), Rockwell 6S w/6 plate, Fatip Piccolo...I've used aggressive razors for years. At under $10, I was pretty skeptical about the Yaqi, but after a short learning curve, I got the closest shave ever with little irritation (GSB blade). So impressed I ordered the Yaqi Beast. First shave yesterday and second today: as close a shave as the slant and gentle enough for me (average skin sensitivity) to be a daily razor. To say the least, I really like these razors!
Please let us know what you think of the Beast!

I used the Ikon Tech daily for over a year
Thanks for the info, KRpdx. Question: how would you rate the Ikon Tech versus the Yaqi Slant?

I ask because I've been considering purchasing the Tech. I was hooked on the Yaqi Slant so ordered the Knight's Helmet. The KH is even more aggressive than the slant. So, I then got hooked on the KH and have been using it as pretty much my only razor for about a year. I'd like to have at least a second razor that's as aggressive. Do you think the Tech might be that razor?

I think the Tech would be worth trying. I've noticed that many on the forums say the Tech is the king of the aggressive hill. The only reason I resumed the hunt, after using it daily for over a year, is that BBS came at the cost of too much irritation (that was a few years ago, and I assume part of the blame, because both my technique and my lather quality have since improved). I've actually been tempted recently to retry it...but I don't think I can improve on my current Rockwell 6S-Yaqi slant-Beast rotation (usually 2 passes w/6S and touch up with either Yaqi = BBS w/little or no irritation).

I used my Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant this morning. I hadn't used it in a week or two, as I was mostly using my Dart, Rocca, MMOC and Enoch. The shave experience with the Yaqi is different than with any of those other razors. Apart from how scary it can look, the audible feedback makes it sound like you are hacking through a jungle, and I shave every day so we're not talking about a multi-day heavy beard situation. Putting that out of mind, however, it provided a BBS shave in two passes with minor touch-up.

Top Bottom