What's new

Anyone use a IWB holster with an Ulticlip?

Not a fan of IWB holsters but after seeing what the Ulticlip can supposedly do as far as keeping an IWB holster secure, I am thinking of giving one a try. Anyone have some first hand experience with this gizmo?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Guess I’ll have to get one and find out.
+1 Take one for the team! I've heard of them but have no experience with it. Looks very sturdy and well made. I suppose success would be dependent on the suitability of what ever holster/sheath is used with it.

Thanks for the link.

Viewing the videos, what I really like about it is the apparent adaptability of the device to fit on a lot of the holsters that are already on the market. I could easily fit that XL model on either of my Vedder IWB holsters using the hardware that came with them. I'd simply be replacing an already good clip with an even better one. The guy believes in his product, too.

Dang it! How come every time I peruse these forums there's a good chance I'll be spending money?

Don

P.S. - He has printable templates to see if these devices will fit on your gear.

Last edited:
A holster maker with whom I am familiar offers the Ulticlip as an option.
Methinks I will be going that route. To make room for the new stuff...Watch BST for some epic deals on like new high end holsters for Glock and S&W Shield pistols.

EE3A3D8A-5C57-41C3-B625-5B4A45A01304.jpeg
1F5007AC-E19E-4055-A961-F3078C8425CC.jpeg

Well..bought one. Should have it in a few weeks. Holster is being made to fit a S&W Shield .45 ACP (these are file pics). Stay tuned.

Quality holsters do take some time. Been waiting on a Sam Andrews holster for a FN FNP40 right at 3 months now. Ordered a Horseshoe Leather holster for a SIG P220 June 24. Don’t expect that until maybe around Thanksgiving.

Yes I tried one. They are very secure indeed. However it didn't work for me because throughout the day I shift my sidearm around a bit along my belt. Once the Ulticlip is secured you can't slide it along to a slightly different location. You have to un-clip it, move it, then re-clip it. Cant is also fixed so you can't rotate the weapon even a little.

For example when I get into my car I slide it toward appendix carry position and then back after I'm seated so the butt won't snag and scuff the leather on my seat (I'm a lefty). When I go to church I slide it towards the small of my back a little to lessen the imprint. At home in my office chair I slide it around a bit over time too.

After much experimentation with different fastening systems like this one I wound up back to the old familiar J hook.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ This, unless it's on a duty belt, I want/need to be able to adjust my holsters position and have an easy off/on, as long as it's secure with my belt tightened as I carry IWB.

While we are one the subject I'll share my experiences over the years with a couple others.

"Sticky" material holsters that claim to be as secure as a clipped holster. I guarantee if you are active it will eventually work its way up or down out of the waistband as it did with me.

"Clips" that mount on the frame: Not secure enough. Won't hold in a scuffle or in case of a fall when bike riding, tripping over something, etc. I used one of these for a long time for IWB carry until my LC9s slipped out at a theater in one of those reclining seats. Another time the clip snapped off. TIP: Very difficult to nonchalantly remove a pistol from your pants leg when you are standing in the grocery store checkout line.

Something else I forgot to mention about the Ulticlip: If you clip it on a nice belt it will leave a deep permanent mark. Only way to avoid more marks is to clip in exactly the same spot every time.

"Plugs" for behind the exposed trigger for when you choose to use the above anyway: When adrenaline is flowing taking the time to pop out a plug behind the trigger then move your finger in front... Well, you get it. You don't have time and will probably forget about the plug and try to squeeze the trigger anyway. No bang.

Something else I forgot to mention about the Ulticlip: If you clip it on a nice belt it will leave a deep permanent mark. Only way to avoid more marks is to clip in exactly the same spot every time.

The Ulticlip XL has a clamping groove that will easily fit over any belt up to 1.5 inches. The clamp fits over the belt itself, and doesn't dig in, or leave a mark. You can also slide your holster along your belt.

As I mentioned in post #6:001_rolle, Acme's thread helped me depart with some of my money; I purchased 3 Ulticlip 3's, and one Ulticlip XL. Also, the hardware bag. I really think these things will make good holsters even better.

I'll post some pics when I get done tinkering.

Don

The new Ulticlip XL looks good. Eliminates the belt ding but you can still clamp to your pants if you are not wearing a belt. It is basically a lockable J hook that clamps at the bottom. I think they may have solved my biggest gripes about it and kept what I liked: the secure clamp to jeans with no belt.

Top Bottom