What's new

Anyone try Straight Razor shaving but went back to Safety Razors?

There is a shaving satisfaction when using a DE over a cartridge razor. I think there is another level of satisfaction when using a quality straight razor which is why so many are going back to the razor. You take pride in having the skills to shave with one

I've noticed that many of the "problems" with straight razors aren't really problems. They are just potential concerns when you haven't tried a straight. I already mentioned that it doesn't take me much longer with a straight (after you have learned to use one) and it's the same with the comment about having to use both hands.

You don't "have" to use both hands (one at a time of course) but I do and even though, in general, I'm not good with my (non-dominate) left hand it wasn't a problem with shaving. It took me just a minute or two to adjust. I certainly never "practiced" with a butter knife. :)

I do agree with others that there is just something about shaving with a straight that feels good. It is partly the results and partly just mastering the skill. It also feels good to cut such a wide swath through the facial hair at a time. :)

I also enjoy the honing and being able to buy inexpensive but good vintage razors on Ebay and then be able to get them back in shaving shape. Once they are honed it's easy (and not time consuming) to keep them there. Honing doesn't have to be complicated or expensive either. People just frequently make it that way. :)

Last edited:
I also enjoy the honing and being able to buy inexpensive but good vintage razors on Ebay and then be able to get them back in shaving shape. Once they are honed it's easy (and not time consuming) to keep them there. Honing doesn't have to be complicated or expensive either. People just frequently make it that way. :)

It is crazy how cheap used straights can be. For just a couple of bucks one can get a fantastic piece of gear. There is a stickey in the straight razors section that outlines what to look for in a used straight, also, lapping film is a helpful shortcut.

I did.

I ended up buying a number of different straights, and got good at honing, but could never master the technique of shaving. I did give it a bunch of time, a few months at least. I have very odd skin, I guess. Anyway, it was fun, but I went back to DE shaving.

It is crazy how cheap used straights can be. For just a couple of bucks one can get a fantastic piece of gear. There is a stickey in the straight razors section that outlines what to look for in a used straight, also, lapping film is a helpful shortcut.
Yes, I feel like I'm an expert at picking good straights out from Ebay at this point and that's part of the fun for me I admit. I avoid bidding wars because I know that I can get something good without having to do that so I usually back out.

On the other hand I've learned to not "cheap out" in bidding when I actually see something that is exceptional and I know that it's exception because of all the time I've spent on Ebay. :) I got a great 6/8 the other day in bone with bolsters, top of the line brand and in almost like new condition. No different that a new mid level Dovo. I was going to stop bidding at $20 until my senses kicked in. I got it for $32 shipped. In most ways it's the best razor I now have.

I'm a devoted straight shaver but when all is said and done we need to embrace what resonates with ourselves as individuals. Their are a lot of new and vintage DE's out their. Same goes with SR's and such. At least all of these are still being appriciated and new users are growing every day.

Yes, I feel like I'm an expert at picking good straights out from Ebay at this point and that's part of the fun for me I admit. I avoid bidding wars because I know that I can get something good without having to do that so I usually back out.

On the other hand I've learned to not "cheap out" in bidding when I actually see something that is exceptional and I know that it's exception because of all the time I've spent on Ebay. :) I got a great 6/8 the other day in bone with bolsters, top of the line brand and in almost like new condition. No different that a new mid level Dovo. I was going to stop bidding at $20 until my senses kicked in. I got it for $32 shipped. In most ways it's the best razor I now have.

I just look for things I like and buy them. E.G. Barber Sheffield I got just because of the knurling on the spine, it's a good one. A John Heifer Army razor, also Sheffield, is probably early 1800's, close to 200 years old. Each ran me five or six bucks. It does take some elbow grease to get them up and running.

I tried it many years ago but gave up because of the time spent to maintain a straight. If shavettes had been around then, I might have gone to that.
I thought about it but when I calculated the cost of buying sharpening systems and learning them, I decided against. I am intrigued, though.

Straight shaving is fun. Straight shaving is cool. Straight shaving is a great hobby. Sharpening and maintaining straight edges is a satisfying experience. Nothing about a straight shave is easier or quicker than with a DE razor. I can get an equally good shave with either a DE or a straight, but a straight always takes me more time and finesse. YMMV.

I tried it many years ago but gave up because of the time spent to maintain a straight. If shavettes had been around then, I might have gone to that.
How old are you?? The Weck has been around since before WW1.

proxy.php

I know the maintenance of a straight is not that overwhelming.. But I'm pretty lazy. I stick me injectors and SEs mostly.

Last edited:
Interesting read... My Mom recently gave me my Grandfather's old straight razor. It needs a little TLC to get it shave ready, but I am interested in learning how to use it. In the mean time, I'm getting used to my new DE, 4 shaves on it now and so far liking it :001_smile

I started with a straight and became pretty good at it that I got a close shave and only needed to shaved every other day but it was too much maintenance. It was either the way I stropped or my facial hair (or a combination) but after a number of shaves it would not cut my facial hair without added pressure which in turn led to nicks and slices. I got into aggressive DE then slant DE and I have found my holy grail in my Above The Tie Slant razor.

One day I'll have time, money and patience to get some honing stones and be more consistent with straights.

I left cartridges and never went back. I started with DE's and it takes me no longer to shave with a DE than with a cartridges. I also frequently shave with a straight. Once you learn it doesn't really take much longer with a straight either. It just takes longer to learn to do it efficiently.

It's something that you are either interesting in and therefore do it or you're not. For anyone that expected to go from cartridges to straight shaving in a couple of days they will be frustrated.

It's isn't hard to maintain a straight. Most people talking about that either didn't shave with a straight for long or didn't learn to maintain it. You potentially get it honed (bevel set) once. You either send it out for that or learn to do it yourself.

After than you strop it 30 times or so before use each time (1 minute) and when that doesn't do enough you strop it 5 time or so on a pasted strop (couple of times a month). When that isn't enough you do a few laps on a 12k finishing hone (maybe twice a year). You can get a cut down 12k finishing hone from Whipped Dog for $15.

There is no painful maintaining required for a straight. What people are "complaining" :) about is just not making the effort to learn what is required in the first place.
That's highly debatable. I'd describe the process you outline as painful maintenance. But to each their own.

I shaved with DE and SE for quite a while. I decided I wanted to learn to shave with a SR. I also wanted to learn to restore vintage SRs and hone my own razors. After a small investment in stones and strop I mastered shaving, restoring and honing quickly. I used a SR exclusively for a couple of months and then I started mixing in DE and SE razors. Now I use all three, it just depends on my mood. I enjoy each shaving method for different reasons. As for time...I can do a quick shave with SR, DE or SE equally. I prefer, however, to take my time!

i've tried wacker wedge wacker 1/4 ie the set, extreme hohlung 7/8 wacker, thiers issard 5/8 silverwing first generation, boker damaskus 5/8, dovo bergischer lowe 5/8 and some custom made razors as well as vintage swedish 7/8 singing razors
in my opinion if someone maximizes his abilities with a capable safety razor can equalize the results of a straight razor shave
straight razor edge is longer than a safety razor edge thus achieves its results with less passes
if someone stretches the skin using a safety razor as with a straight razor i don't see any reason why not have the same results
i think that is more of an obsession or something that is considered as sacred the straight razor but what is important is the result and not so the means used to go there
my best shave was with dovo bergischer lowe 5/8 and 18 hours of smooth feeling
i've managed to achieve this result lately with muhle r41 2011 using a modest personna platinum israeli as with sharper blades as permasharp etc i had irritations and my best result was 15 to 16 hours until the stubble rises
i've used kosher coticule with slurry without water with water and even with honing oil for sharpening my razors but even with my best efforts when i come back to a fresh safety razor blade i know what an effortless cut means
it would be interesting if other opinions are posed on this

Top Bottom