What's new

Anyone tried a Wardonia?

I've just bought a few sets of new old stock Wardonia razor kits in white bakelite. They are really well made kits, one is a 'Rugby', which is more of a travel kit and the other a 'Devon' which is more of a 'bathroom' kit with blade holders etc.

Wardonia's were made by Ward & Sons in Sheffield, England. Not sure of the dates though, although I have found a 1930s patent for them.

They come with two Wardonia 'Barrel Hole Blades' and I'm just wondering whether to break open a blade and try it in the razor, or go for a modern blade in the razor, or alternatively not even try the razor at all.

Has anyone tried (or uses) a Wardonia?

I tried one of the old Barrel Hole blades that came with mine and it was totally unusable. I modified a regular DE blade by snipping off some metal and I got a few decent enough shaves but not great enough to make me want to try it again. At the moment the Wardonia sits in a drawer among the rest of the fruits of my excess.

Thanks guys, I didn't even realise that the Wardonias were made to fit only their own blades. Mr Ward and Co. must have wanted to steal a chunk of Gillette's market, I suppose - only their blades fit their razor BUT their blades fit Gillette razors etc. A good plan, but seems like it didn't achieve the desired result.

Top Bottom