What's new

Anyone still do cartridge shaving?

The total population of earth as of today is around 7.3 billion, of which about half are men or 3.65 billion (since I suppose we're only talking about male shavers), and of those about 80% or 2.92 billion are of shaving age.

If we would agree that total regular shaves via a non cartridge razor, including a straight razor, or a non-cart single or multi blade razor (including a piece of obsidian, a hunting knife, electric razor, a real barber shave, a user-friendly blowtorch, an axe and/or depilatory powder or cream) accounts for no more than say 15% of total shaves (being generous) equaling 438,000,000 persons, and throw in another 15% or 438,000,000 more for ape men-type guys who never shave, (again being generous, but I've seen some in the subways), that equals combined 876,000,000 non-cart shavers and apemen, or about 30% of the total population of 2,920,000,000 potential shavers. This means a full 70% of the male shaving population, or 2,044,000,000 shavers are using a cartridge when they shave.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

Respectfully yours,

Hidell

Just guessing here, but I'd assume that in non-first-world countries, where the majority of people live, the percentage of non-cartridge shaves might be considerably higher than 15%.

I take my old fusion when I fly with only carry-on luggage. Otherwise I take my DE. I also have a few cans of gel by my cart shaving days. I always take those traveling because it's easier than packing the brush, soap and bowl. Eventually the cans will get used up and I'll contemplate options to travel with soap or cream.

just an idea, when I travel, i put some cream in a small container, like the little glass jars you get with jam in some restaurants, but ive heard contact lens cases work well among other things... and i'll take my brush. don't really need a bowl, as just about every hotel room ive ever stayed in, had coffee mugs or glass tumblers, which are adequate. so, in my case, its actually less bulky to pack than a can of foam, and also less likely to make a mess (if you've ever had a leaky foam can in your luggage you'll know what I mean!).

$truefitt hill sandalwood gillette flexball art of shaving november 20 2014.jpg

I enjoy using the Gillette Flexball Fusion.
Goes along on short air travel trips.
Also does great job in cleaning up around the lip and all the black fuzzies on the ear lobe.

I still use my Mach 3. Haven't perfected DE yet. I like it better for travel or when in a hurry. I don't used canned gel/cream any more. If I don't go with soap and brush I use cremo or shave secret.

Shaved with a M5 this morning and use a Gilette Guard on the dome. Occasionally use it as a travel razor or a BIC Sensitive Disposable

I had a pretty good stockpile of disposable cartridges and razors when I started shaving with a DE in early 2012. Being too cheap to throw the stuff away I have held my own Lenten sabbatical each year during which I shave with the old carts and canned goo. I think I'm out of all the old stuff except for Trac II compatible carts.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I use the Gillete Guard from time to time. The only cart I use. I really like it

Although I do traditional wet shaving 98% of the time, there are times when time is of the essence, and I will use my Trac II or Atra razor.
The carts are readily available, inexpensive and provide a very close shave.
I also have several areas that are difficult to shave with my SE or DE's and sometimes use my Trac II or Atra to touch-up.

The problem with the carts is not that they don't shave well, but the expense, plus traditional DE or SE wet shaving is more enjoyable.

I have pretty much made my mind up to just go back to using carts exclusively. I tried Harry's recently but it didn't do it for me so I am back with the Fusion Proglide with Flexball. I just get better shaves with it and I don't have to concern myself with angle and pressure. When I use a safety and have to concentrate on those 2 things it just isn't fun for me. I also feel I get a much better/closer shave with my fusion anyway. That may have to do with the technique flaws I have but I'm pretty much over it at this point. I still enjoy the use of a brush and soap/cream along with my aftershaves.

When I was in my 20's I would oftentimes use soap and a brush with my Sensor. Sometimes when travelling I will use bar soap with either a cartridge or disposable.

While I prefer DE there are times that I'm not willing to risk a DE. One of the rules of packing for travel has always been to only pack things you are able to live with losing. I can function without a custom Mach 3 handle or a Bic disposable but I'm not willing to lose one of my DE collection.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I enjoy using my vintage Gillette Trac II handle and carts every bit as much as my DE's SE's, Straights & Shavette's.

I use a Fusion Cart along with my brush and creams.

I was weened about 60 years ago with a DE & canned gook and changed to a cart when Gillette first came out with one.

I started with a brush and soap/creams about 2 years ago and also tried a DE after about 50+ years of cart.

IMHO a cart is faster, closer and more comfortable (no nicks or blood).

While Traveling. I have the black Parker 4 oz handle that takes all fusion blades (working off my lifetime supply of fusion blades). I Do total wet shave, and I have to admit, it's as good as my DE shaving at home. So 90%+ of improvement in my shaving is all the wet shaving technique I've acquired since going DE and only 10% due to the DE razor. Sad, but I have to admit it.

I have pretty much made my mind up to just go back to using carts exclusively. I tried Harry's recently but it didn't do it for me so I am back with the Fusion Proglide with Flexball. I just get better shaves with it and I don't have to concern myself with angle and pressure. When I use a safety and have to concentrate on those 2 things it just isn't fun for me. I also feel I get a much better/closer shave with my fusion anyway. That may have to do with the technique flaws I have but I'm pretty much over it at this point. I still enjoy the use of a brush and soap/cream along with my aftershaves.

People make fun of it around here, but that fusion flexball is a very good razor. I use mine quite often, but always with arko and a brush.

.....The lubricant strip on cartridges is a mystery to me, if it's a lubricant why put it after the blade?

Because it is not meant to lubricate the first pass, it's meant to lubricate the skin for the subsequent passes and/or blade buffing that th average joe pretty much always does WITHOUT relathering.

Everything in modern cartridges is designed to minimize the harm done by shaving with poor technique. If you remember this one fact, it becomes easy to explain pretty much all of their features. For example, they have 5 blades not because subsequent blades are cutting the hairs closer but because the 5 blades distribute out the massive amount of pressure that idiots apply, preserving the skin. They have a lube strip because people never relather before shaving the same spot over and over again. And so forth and so on.

Interesting. That's pretty much why I LIKE DE shaving. Because it forces me to concentrate on those things. I didn't like shaving when I could do it mindlessly.

To each his own, I guess.

I don’t use carts, but ...

There is an old Wilkinson Sword single-blade disposable in my medicine cabinet. I used it once or twice about two years ago in order to see if it might make a good travel razor. There is a neat little hack that I discovered: The old WS disposables from the 1970s or 1980s can be hacked, so that they will accept the old Wilkinson Sword Bonded blades (one of the very first carts).

I use a Trac II razor now and then, preferrably with vintage Wilkinson Sword cartridges. Mostly when I travel, or just when I'm in for a change.

Top Bottom