What's new

Anyone Sous Vide?

I'm french and I have no words to describe how jarring it is to read "sous vide" used as a verb.
I am not even sure why, but this made me Laugh out Loud. Thank you for that! But also, being that i am NOT french, i'm not sure how else to say it.

Verbing happens all the time in English, so "to sous-vide" is normal and understandable (which is the only thing that matters).

But reading it applied to a French word was surprising. Also the first image that popped in my head was of some kind of weird and dangerous snake oil remedy like "hot cupping" (another verbing).

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Bought an Anova a few months ago and finally tried it tonight on some ribeyes.

They came out pretty good but I prefer the mesquite flavor of cooking over wood.

What was really good about sous vide was that you can take a steak to well done (my wife's preference) and it still stays very juicy. She loved it.

I'm just not real big on seared steaks. Maybe next time I'll take them to a little lower temp and then finish over charcoal.

I have a sous vide cooker and love it. A simple favorite is boneless chicken breasts with a little seasoned salt, adobo, and fresh parsley. When done I dry off the chicken and give it a sear on hot cast iron.

Fun tip: To prevent evaporation, I cover my container with a bunch of ping pong balls. I tell my daughter's friends that I'm making ping pong ball soup.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Fun tip: To prevent evaporation, I cover my container with a bunch of ping pong balls. I tell my daughter's friends that I'm making ping pong ball soup.

I like that. I just use some plastic wrap or, if it fits well, one of my Silpats. If I use my wide tub, the tub lid actually does a good job.

Top Bottom