What's new

Anyone NOT like Mama Bears?

I spent about 30 minutes on her site trying to decide which scents to order, in the end i emailed her and asked her for some recommendations. I ended up getting some Lime Ice that im fairly certain im going to have to remind myself not to eat while shaving with it.

The main thing that puts me off about Mama Bears products is the high shipping cost.

DD

Unfortunately, the only option is 2-3 day Priority Mail from Mama's. I could live with slower delivery to save a few bucks and have it sent via a cheaper, slower method.

EDIT: correction, I was wrong. it appears that priority first class mail is an option as well.

Last edited:
Her English Leather soap made me convert from shaving cream to exclusively using shaving soap. I'm currently on a Mandarin Ice shaving soap binge (mentholated soap is great in the warm climate I live in). Whenever I head to cooler climates, I use Good Morning Honey; warm notes with hints of oatmeal and honey.

I also run into the problem of having to choose which soaps to buy because her soaps last a long time for me (I'm a face latherer) and also because she has so many interesting and intriguing scents available. In reality, this is not a bad problem to have :001_smile

I just received my Sandalwood Rose...USPS estimated the 3rd, but I guess because of the storms it was delayed. I was very surprised when I smelled this soap... it smells JUST like rose petals! And the lather was phenomenal. It doesn't smell perfumey... after the shave I just smelled like I was carrying a bouquet of roses. :001_smile Good stuff.

Admittedly, aside from my initial run-in with a scent that didn't agree with my skin, I passed it over in favor of predominantly tallow-based (or tallow + veggie) soaps. My wife got me a puck of Sleigh-Ride for Christmas, and it's actually quite a treat to use. I still prefer tallow - probably always will - but as far as veggie soaps go, this one is superb. You can't beat the variety in scents.

I used Masculine Musk today that I picked up in a BST sale.
The smell is fantastic. Manly and powerful. I tried to find a bear to wrestle on my way to work, but it's winter and they're hibernating.
But when the spring hits......bears beware.....

I am on of the few that don't like them. That is really bad since I do like a member having succes with their stuff but the scents put me off. Or not so much the scents as well as what some of the essential oils do to my eyes and sinusses. My fav vendor tries to put all of his MB stock under my nose when I visit him and sometimes my eyes are still watering and my nose is still dripping from taking a few sniffs hours before. I guess Mama Bear is just not for me...:mellow:

I am on of the few that don't like them. That is really bad since I do like a member having succes with their stuff but the scents put me off. Or not so much the scents as well as what some of the essential oils do to my eyes and sinusses. My fav vendor tries to put all of his MB stock under my nose when I visit him and sometimes my eyes are still watering and my nose is still dripping from taking a few sniffs hours before. I guess Mama Bear is just not for me...:mellow:

You certainly can't be faulted for that. I had a terrible (similar) experience with another vendor's product, and when I messaged and expressed this they berated me!

Maybe someday you'll find one that works. I've heard of a lot of guys that love the unscented.

i finally got to shave with it. and it irratated my skin alot, and tore it up.. i will say im ticked cus i love it. it smells good, and it whips up really great. and is a great deal. and mama bear is great to deal with. i got 8 samples of diffrent scents and i just dident like any of them, i did shave with yet another mama bears scent today and burned my face bad, so i guess im sensitive it sucks, its a great product though.. her aftershave i will say kept my face very very very moist and great feeling even though it was burning. i will be doing more buisness with her for unscented balm

I just finished my first MB soap. It took me 1.5 years (not using it daily though). I feel like I need to buy a new one now :001_smile

As somebody stated you could always try the unscented and add fragrance. You could also nuke a scented one a few times which should dissipate the scent a lot. If you felt inclined, that is.

Last edited:
I just received the Gingergrass essential oil MB soap. It smells like ginger which is good. I hope it shaves good too. If my wife's asthma doesn't react to it then I might try one of the more potent soaps.

Sue is great to deal with! For anyone that has had issues with certain scents, let her know about them. Tell her what colognes/after shaves work for you, and which do not. That will help her to guide you to selections that you will really enjoy.

In the event that you ended up with something that doesn't work, put it up on the B/S/T forum, and let someone else enjoy it.

One thing for sure, Mama Bear's soaps last a long time!

Ciao!
Bruce

I just finished my first MB soap. It took me 1.5 years (not using it daily though). I feel like I need to buy a new one now :001_smile

See, that's the problem! I'm on the fence about ordering some samples. Here's my thinking.
1. I would like to order some samples, maybe 3-4
2. If I'm going to pay shipping anyway, I might as well order 5 or 6
3. Or maybe 9 or 10
4. But what if I like most of them? And they take 1.5 years per puck to go through!

I'm trying to resist the ADs, but Mama Bear isn't helping!

See, that's the problem! I'm on the fence about ordering some samples. Here's my thinking.
1. I would like to order some samples, maybe 3-4
2. If I'm going to pay shipping anyway, I might as well order 5 or 6
3. Or maybe 9 or 10
4. But what if I like most of them? And they take 1.5 years per puck to go through!

I'm trying to resist the ADs, but Mama Bear isn't helping!

See, I don't look at that as a problem. I think of shave soaps kinda like I do cigars: Ideally (if I had the cash that is) I would love to have enough that I can pick one at random whenever I feel like it and be pleasantly surprised since I haven't had that particular flavor in a month or so. And also have enough of each that I could go a year or more and not hit the bottom of the pile!

Either way you can't go wrong sampling. If you get 10 you might like them all but only love a a couple.

Top Bottom