What's new

Anyone heard of "NEWSTART" cart razor?

I came across this on amazon browsing shaving products:

Amazon.com: Men's Razor NEWSTART Safety Razor with Two Razor Blades Germany Imported Blade Good Manual Shaving Razor for Men.Best Mens Gift!!: Beauty

It appears to be a startup company in Germany making a 6-blade (!) cart razor. You can tell the writer of the description page is a native German speaker because the English is a bit broken.

Has anyone heard of or used this?

EDIT: After looking at the product's Amazon.de page it's obvious that they copied & pasted the text into Google Translate... hence why some of it makes no sense!

Last edited:
Ok gotcha. I know my local Wally World has their full like of Personna so I can try it that way cheaper.

I have only seen the GT6 released by Aldi in Australia as the Calibre 6. I haven't seen it in any Western Supermarket, drugstore or subscription site. Tesco have the GT5 in the UK.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Gillette's got problems in the coming years. All of their important cart razor patents have expired, and they have nothing new to keep competitors from stealing market share, just marketing power and shelf space allotments.

Gillette's got problems in the coming years. All of their important cart razor patents have expired, and they have nothing new to keep competitors from stealing market share, just marketing power and shelf space allotments.
This is the most likely reason for their moving into India and the third world with the Guard - those are wide open markets.

This is the most likely reason for their moving into India and the third world with the Guard - those are wide open markets.

The Guard is very inexpensive in India -- less than 25 cents U.S. Gillette has long had a huge presence in the Indian DE market through joint ventures. Their problem there has been selling their multi-blade cartridge razors, which are expensive and hard to sell in countries with a low GDP per capita. India also has protectionist policies that make it hard for U.S. manufacturers that don't have Indian partners. So Gillette can't cheaply just ship razors and carts to India and sell them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Guard is very inexpensive in India -- less than 25 cents U.S. Gillette has long had a huge presence in the Indian DE market through joint ventures. Their problem there has been selling their multi-blade cartridge razors, which are expensive and hard to sell in countries with a low GDP per capita. India also has protectionist policies that make it hard for U.S. manufacturers that don't have Indian partners. So Gillette can't cheaply just ship razors and carts to India and sell them.
Thanks for the info, sir.

I agree with you, @FarmerTan that Gillette has lots of room for growth in India and other developing countries, and I think you are right that Gillette is focusing hard on those markets. It may be what saves their bacon from the cart competition from razors like the Newstart. Gillette has unbelievable power to project itself where companies like Newstart can't really compete.

I'm hoping for reverse situation, our gas and oil resources are shrinking. Gillette used to sell you 6 double edge blades for lower price if you bringed them 12 used blades.
Now when you look at that, that generation was less wasteful. And I would like to be sure that GWP won't be discontinued.

Top Bottom