What's new

Anyone find themselves using "non-seasonal" products out of spite for the weather?

Through the first half of the winter/fall/gross weather seasons, I was all about sandalwood, bay rum, musk, Old Spice, etc. Warm, woody, spicy, comfort scents.

Lately though, my interest has turned to my more summery products. Lime, grapefruit, coconut, floral, that kind of thing.

A little while ago I used lime soap and aftershave, and followed it with Razorock coconut beard conditioner even though I don't have a beard (it's a great skin moisturizer) and my wife told me a smelled like a key lime pie.

That's the kind of mood I'm in lately. Know what I mean? I'm tired of comfort scents. I need summer! I need some zing!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't subscribe to the "winter scents" or "summer scents" magazine.

I just use whatever I feel like for that day. Unscented more than anything.

I had all my summer(mentholated) soaps and ASBs put away, but over the past week I have been using my mentholated balms. If the mood strikes.....why not!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm not terribly seasonal, either, but some days just feel like one thing or another. Nice and fun, that way. This morning, I thought I had a game plan all set up, then I completely changed it up while in the shower. Luv the power!

TL

Sure, in the dead of winter, I like to occasionally try something like coconut scent that reminds me of the beach, suntan lotion etc.

Last Friday there was a mug with a puck of Vermont Country Store Apothecary lime musk soap staring at me. This stuff
was a gift and just usable in warmer, more humid weather, but better with some KMF fragrance free laced in. It was a decent shave, but left my face feeling dry. The last dregs of some pre-2009 Body Shop Razor Relief fixed that. Other soaps and creams that I use in winter have lanolin or other moisturizers such that all I need for an after shave is a thin coat of lather to soak for a few minutes while I'm cleaning up.

I noticed few years ago that I was seasonally basing my soaps scents, not as most people would think. I would find in the winter that I was reaching for the C.O. Bigelow much more in the winter months and then I found that Mike's Lime and Godrej Lime felt really good in the winter. Once I thought about it, I realized that I had used more winter soaps such as Tabac, Bay Rum, Zi' Peppino and Mudder Focker during the summer.

I must be more aspirational than practical.

I've never really understood the whole "shave with the seasons" thing. I just wake up in the morning and think "today I'll use ....". Mind you, I don't get blistering cold winters here so maybe that is why.

I only use a few soaps/cream at a time so my stocks variations are limited but Proraso green (menthol scented) is the only one I regard as seasonal and use summer only. The rest I use universally, year round.

I'm not much of a "seasonal scents" kind of guy. I grab whatever strikes my fancy at the moment when I'm preparing for my shave.

Top Bottom