What's new

Anyone familiar with the Tumi Barstow?

My wife and I are traveling to Japan later this month. Her mother suggested we bring her father a cross-body bag to carry his stuff while we are being tourists in southern Japan. I found this bag (Tumi Barstow):

proxy.php

It seems nice, but pricey. In fact, I liked it enough that I'm considering one for myself. Anyone have any experience or other recommendations?

Tumi makes good stuff. People I know who travel for work submit theirs to the airlines twice a week. It holds up.

Never owned any as it isn't my style.

Never really thought it was my style either, but seems like it would be very convenient for my kindle, etc. on our upcoming trip to Japan...

I'd recommend getting something very very cheap simply to make it out there, then see what you can get while travelling. Practically every domestic-market product is good quality and well-priced in Japan.

I'd recommend getting something very very cheap simply to make it out there, then see what you can get while travelling. Practically every domestic-market product is good quality and well-priced in Japan.

Boy, When I lived in Japan(4yrs.) I found anything not made in Japan to be High. Example :Zliss food chopper $20.00 in US. Replacement in Japan $80.00!
Also a Japanese made Honda M/C was cheaper by $600-$1000.00 in the US. than the best deal in Japan. Buy it before you get to Japan. Japan is not a CHEAP place.

I'm familiar with the Japanese economy. My wife grew up there and her family still lives there...

Maybe that means that The UK and Europe is just ludicrously expensive! Or America really good value. The UK was the only place I had to compare it to when I was on Shikoku. There are many items that are only for sale in Japan. I found most of them were better than the EU alternatives, or at least as good and not as expensive. But as I say, I haven't lived in The US.
Apologies.

Shikoku is actually one of the places where we plan to visit from my in-law's home in Takasaki, Gunma-kin. Any good recommendations of what to see in Shikoku? I know we are going to Kochi, but don't know what else is on the agenda...

I lived for a year in Kochi. It is small but has everything you need and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. If you're into that sort of thing I'd recommend hiring some bikes and just heading West along the main river in town. Also chukrinji Temple is nice and you must visit katsurahama, which is only 20mins bike-ride away from the centre and lovely. I only saw about 3 or 4 of the (is it 57?) temples there but some of them were like something from Lord of the Rings. There's one one the way to Aki (small town, not recommended) on a mountain which is stunning and an ancient noodle restaurant between Aki and Kochi, which is from the 14th C or something and very friendly. It's on the main road overlooking the sea and quite distinctive. I used to go to....I think it was called Picasso Story Cafe in the Takami district. There is also a huge Louis Vuitton shop on Sunday Market St and you can ogle Grand Seikos at Hirome Ichiban.
Now I wish I was going too!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Steve.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Tumi when I found it for 20% off, plus free shipping! When it arrives, I'll see how it works out to load up...

No worries. I hope you have a great time. I love Japan. If in need of any small things, try the 100 yen shops. They're significantly better than the US equivalents for batteries, notebooks, screwdriver sets and the like.

Top Bottom