What's new

Anybody Else Own a "Hecho En Mexico" Gillette 3 Piece DE Razor?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I bought this little razor at a great Antique Shop in Bardstown, Kentucky yesterday mainly because I thought it might be an oddity. It is 3 inches long and appearred to be slightly longer than a Travel Razor and shorter than a Super Speed. The date code is stamped J-2 which would be 1964 for more Modern Gillettes or 1939 for older models. Could it be possible that it is a 1939 Made in Mexico Razor? It looks older than 1964 to me but I guess I'll have to scour Phillip Krumholz's Book to see if I can find it. Anyone else own this razor? In an earlier thread on blades I mentioned I might use my newly purchased Israeli errrrrrrrrr Mexican Personnas in it.

I found these in a local shop :

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42970

They look fairly similar, aluminum handles and same general pattern, just with a ball end.

Does it say "MARCAS REGS" under the head? I suspected mine might have been from Spain.
Sorry to disappoint you. Gilette used MARCUS REGS to indicate that their trademark symbol on the bottom of the head is registered. You will also see "REG US PAT OFF" showing that tha razor design has a US patent.

-Clarke

The date code is stamped J-2 which would be 1964 for more Modern Gillettes or 1939 for older models. Could it be possible that it is a 1939 Made in Mexico Razor? It looks older than 1964 to me but I guess I'll have to scour Phillip Krumholz's Book to see if I can find it.

I say it's a 1964 model. The date codes were not [re]issued until 1951.

It's a good looking razor.

Me

Top Bottom