What's new

Anybody Else like Edge Shaving Gel?

I always thought well of Edge, and when I somehow managed to forget to bring any soap or cream while traveling this weekend, I fell back on the gel because it was available where I was staying.

As always, perfectly good results. I won't hear a word against Edge.

Even though I've used a DE for over 35 years, I used Edge for most of that time, preferring it to canned creams such as Foamy. I was never aware that shaving creams and soaps were still manufactured until just a few years ago. Now I won't go back to canned anything.

When I used canned shaving cream, I always thought Edge Gel was really good. Now I get way better shaves using a brush and shaving soap. The brush-made lather is more adjustable. If I want more cushion, I make a drier lather. If I want less cushion, I add more water. And a brush-made lather makes it so much easier to shave with no pressure on the razor. When a brush-made lather is right, it's night and day better than any canned shaving cream I've ever tried. And a shave is only as good as the lather, so good lather is one of the most important ingredients for a good shave.

Glad it works for you but I wouldn't touch a can of that stuff unless I was in an absolute jam. What I most loved about the Edge gel I used back in 12/18 was the rough push it gave me into the world of wet-shaving. Worst shave I've ever from the Edge gel along with an expensive 5 blade cart. Huge blessing in disguise, the both of 'em!

im sure others will answer the shaving question, but if in the end you need to "dispose" of the cans i would sugest a .223. It really opens up the can quick and is a cool looking mess.
Funny you should mention that. Several decades ago I worked with a guy who had a large family of blade shavers. Daddy taught them that a can of shaving cream goes bad once its' been used a few times & forced them to toss all their 'bad' cans every month. As a result, my shooting buddy had a large box filled with mostly full shaving cream cans. He brought it out to the range & we commenced fire - made a helluva mess - important to aim for the top 1/3 of the can, otherwise shooting low just hits the propellant area and nothing happens.
I kept several cans & had shaving cream for a couple of years. Also, just found a can of shave gel I'd stashed in the cabinet & it worked its' way behind everything. Gotta be at least a 7-8 years old & all I needed to do was shake it up. Still shaves OK, but being a gel, it gunks up my razors something awful, so it may go back into the cabinet for a few more years.

Generally, I don't like the "gel" types on their own. Only use when there's no other choice. However, I used to use it with Williams soap. I would soak the puck in the mug, then squirt a little bit into the mug, then make the lather. I did it that way for years (before I stumbled across this site). Sort of a superlather before I knew it had a name.

Funny you should mention that. Several decades ago I worked with a guy who had a large family of blade shavers. Daddy taught them that a can of shaving cream goes bad once its' been used a few times & forced them to toss all their 'bad' cans every month..

That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard on this website.

I always thought well of Edge, and when I somehow managed to forget to bring any soap or cream while traveling this weekend, I fell back on the gel because it was available where I was staying.

As always, perfectly good results. I won't hear a word against Edge.

Guys that know how to use the "Good stuff" generally get better results from the "bad stuff."

I too used a Mach 3 and Edge Gel for decades. Once I found out about all the soaps and creams that are out there, I never went back to the Edge Gel except out of curiosity to compare it to another canned product, Gillette Barbershop Fresh Foam Mousse. I find the Gillette Foam Mousse to not only provide much more slickness but far better aftershave face feel. My face feels a lot more moisturized with the Gillette Mousse than the Edge Gel. I actually felt the Edge is drying in comparison. I'll never go back to the Edge again.

Top Bottom