What's new

Any Way to Date a Gem G-Bar?

I am a SE novice and have been looking for a Gem G-Bar. I have a OCMM now but from what I've been reading the G-Bar may be a better shaver. Plus, I really like something about the styling. I know that there are several SE and Gem experts on this subforum so I'm wondering if there are any hints as far as dating the G-Bar. I know there are no date codes, etc. but I'm wondering if there are any differences in the cases or anything else that might help narrow down the date or era. Thanks!

Waits has it listed as the last US/Ever ready razor made in 1933-34 in Rhodium and gold plating, and a different case. It lacks the G [ for GEM] on the side handle which the American version has, instead it has a E [for Ever ready.]
B&B pic:
proxy.php
full
B&B TheVez2pics

The American G bar is called a Flat top., but B&B wiki has it at 40's and 50's in 2 slight variations and in red case made by American Razor Company.
attachment.php
B&B Pic Hansplaesure

see the slight differences on handle
proxy.php
B&B pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the "G-Bar" more correctly called the "Heavy Flat Top?"

And didn't Gem refer to the Heavy Flat Top razor and to the the earlier Feather Weight razor as their "Slim-V Flat Head" razors?

Where's the Hoosier Trooper when we need 'im?

Last edited:
Tom defected......

I think if you are used to an OCMM, you might find the G-bar a little mild. Personally, I rank it up there with the 1912 and 1914 designs as one of the finer razors.

If I could change one thing it would be the chrome plating. I much prefer nickel. Rhodium would probably looked pretty good too.....

Isn't the "G-Bar" more correctly called the "Heavy Flat Top?"

And didn't Gem refer to the Heavy Flat Top razor and to the the earlier Feather Weight razor as their "Slim-V Flat Head" razors?

Yes, it was coined the Heavy Flat Top. Those are just coined names and not the actual names, such as the Feather weihgt has a G in the handle but nobody calls it a G Bar. The names may also refer to the design or overall functions/descriptions of the razor, such as th Feather Weight from Ever Ready Britain called the plastic model with a flat top Ever Ready Natural Angle Razor, also a gold plated metal version, the same as what has been referred to as a G Bar, which was called a Ever Ready Deluxe Natural Angle Razor.

The Heavy Flat top - perhaps it was a description, it was a heavy, razor with a flat top From what evidence there is here so far it is probably better called an all metal GEM with a flat top.
The Pushbutton is is callef that as a reference to its function too.

The Slim V it seems was marketed as such, the name seems to come from the function of the razor

proxy.php
proxy.php
[pics from online]

Where's the Hoosier Trooper when we need 'im?
Tom is OK and happy doing other things and may not be here as you would like.

I have some sources such as Waits, Krumholtz, and other sources for references [ but some of these sources due contain unreliable data and do have inaccurate info as noted by many B&B members]

Top Bottom