What's new

Any VW TDI owners out there?

I've just bought my second used VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate (UK), my first one was looking a little tired after 185k miles, dogs, kids, commuting and holidays but mechanically it was fairly BULLETPROOF so I'm not sure about comments on reliability or indeed servicing unless Euro parts are rather costly in the US. TBH these cars are barely run in at 100k miles and finding them with well over 200k on the clock is not unusual, when diesel and gas is around $8 a gallon it all counts when consumption is around 40 - 50 mpg urban. If you want some links to some European sites PM me, it's a solid, stylish reliable car I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Having said all that this site absolutely slates my car. YMMV.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/

Last edited:
T

Trenden

I drive a 2001 Passat 1.8T that currently has 193k miles on it. I love the car and have not had any engine troubles so far. Routine VW maintenance does seem to be more expensive than with other cars however. I’d like to get 300k miles out of it but that might be a stretch. It’s a fun car to drive. Back when I bought it I test drove Hondas, Mazdas and Toyotas and then I drove the Passat 1.8 (that’s the little four cylinder engine with a turbo) and it was so much more fun to drive than those other cars! I still love my car! I commute 35 miles each direction every day to work and average 34 MPG. 193k miles and it has never lost a drop of oil as far as I can tell. I do my own maintenance faithfully, switched to synthetic oil at 25k miles and change the oil every 5k miles like the manual says.

Anyway, for me it has been a great car and fun to drive. Before this car I had a Toyota and it ran faithfully but was so boring and gutless I actually wanted it to have problems just so I’d have an excuse to replace it!

I drive a 2001 Passat 1.8T that currently has 193k miles on it. I love the car and have not had any engine troubles so far. Routine VW maintenance does seem to be more expensive than with other cars however. I’d like to get 300k miles out of it but that might be a stretch. It’s a fun car to drive. Back when I bought it I test drove Hondas, Mazdas and Toyotas and then I drove the Passat 1.8 (that’s the little four cylinder engine with a turbo) and it was so much more fun to drive than those other cars! I still love my car! I commute 35 miles each direction every day to work and average 34 MPG. 193k miles and it has never lost a drop of oil as far as I can tell. I do my own maintenance faithfully, switched to synthetic oil at 25k miles and change the oil every 5k miles like the manual says.

Anyway, for me it has been a great car and fun to drive. Before this car I had a Toyota and it ran faithfully but was so boring and gutless I actually wanted it to have problems just so I’d have an excuse to replace it!
Welcome to Badgerandblade!

I drove a '90 Golf Tdi from 2005-2008 all over Europe. Considering it had been through 3-4 previous owners, all of whom were military drivers (leadfoot, in a country of insane drivers) it handled everything from tight urban work to the autostrada without much trouble. For a 20 year old car, it had surprisingly few maintenance issues, though nowhere near like when it was new, it did run hard, fast and reliably.

I also drove a Polo through much of Ireland and I would buy a small VW with confidence for a basic daily driver if that was what i was looking for (my needs running more to light trucks).

I think the moral of this thread is that the TDI engine itself is a fantastic engine. The chassis around it is much more controversial then the actual engine. People who like German cars aren't necessarily fans of Japanese cars and vice versa. Consumer reports says VW stinks, but lately the Japanese cars get the bad press.

So in the end, get what you like and realize that reliability is subjective.

Michael

Hyundai all the way............Japanese cars to me are way overrated and European cars prices are out of line for what you get IMO.....and repair costs are a joke. A friend of mine had to put brakes on his 2008 Saab - the complete job was over $2000. He did needed rotors too, but still.

Top Bottom