What's new

Any shallow angle shavers out there?

I've experimented with both. Different razors feel more comfortable using one way or the other -- I just try to be receptive to how it feels. Then there are a few razors (NDC-era Superspeed for example) where I end up somewhere in the middle of the two extremes and this seems to work out best.

your not alone @sarir97 for me the shallow angle shave is where its at.

I only shave shallow, except when I shave with the WR2. A steep angle on the WR2 seems to work best for not giving me weepers.

I find the shallow angle provides a much more smoother shave, especially so with the R41, whereas a steep angle tugs at my hairs providing a rough shave.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I always control the angle intuitively-based on the feedback of my ears and the touch of my skin.
So I did not deliberately choose the angle, but "consciously" think that I am riding the cap.
Both the mild razor (as-d2/mamba/pils/timeless 68) and the aggressive razor (rex ambassador/lupo ss 95) have achieved very comfortable and close results.

Based on long-term observations, I think there are more users of shallow-angle shaving on B&B, except that there are opposite statistics on certain razors with large gaps.

I adjust the angle to suit the razor, blade and section of my face that's being shaved, but the net result is that for almost every razor and almost the entirety of my face, I'm either riding the cap, or just a few degrees off of that angle.

"Scrape shaving" is both uncomfortable and gives lousy results for my whiskers.

There are certainly razor heads that will only allow a moderately low cutting angle and others that seem custom made for low angles, my taste runs toward either mild shavers that won't let you suffer the worst effects of a high angle shave, or more efficient/aggressive razors that offer the ability to get very low angles. Only a few of the ones that force you to supply precision angle control in order to avoid serious scraping territory have a place in my rotation.

I am mostly a shallow angle DE shaver. When i use milder razors with neutral blade exposure i really do not pay much attention to the angle. I need to go by the audio feedback and face feel. If i use a more aggressive razor like Karve F-G plate or R41 i pivot from the cap and mostly ride the cap. On these efficient razors i feel you need to choose side to some extent when you start your stroke. If you rotate from the safety bar you are more likely to dig in to your skin, unless you use a feather light touch.
On some areas on my lower neck i might do some steep angle stokes on my last pick up pass if i use an efficient razor. If i use an mild razor in this area i use shorter buffing strokes, mostly riding the cap. I do not find milder razors to work particularly well using a steep angle.

So in my opinion steep vs shallow also depends on the type of razor i use, the direction of my beard etc. Steep angle using efficient razors really seems to pick up those difficult hairs that grow parallel to the skin.

To me it is not as simple as steep vs shallow.
Even a straight razor can benefit from a steeper angle of attach in some circumstances, but you do increase the risk of nicking your self and damaging the edge.

Personally, I don't pay attention to the angle.

I put the razor top cap on my face, slightly lower the angle until it just every so start to cut, and that's my angle. I generally use the same razor daily, so it comes naturally, but if I do switch to a different razor, this is the method I use to find the angle (be it steep or shallow).

+1 to beginning with what the designer tried to dictate. If unhappy with that, I favor the cap. If still unhappy, I favor the guard. This takes seconds.

It appears more common for folks to start steep, and if unhappy work towards neutral, then shallow.

I may land on steep often enough to start there, but I don't unless I get zero blade at the start.

Shallow, shallow, shallow. All shave, every shave.
I don't do ATG, so I don't know if there us benefit to a steep angle for that particular pass.

Each time i used a shallow angle, it was such a disaster in my case : not shaved close at all + skin irriations & red points everywhere.

And even with my favourite razor, the UK Tech #24.

I always use neutral angle.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Was thinking of how @woodfluter raised the bar in lowering the cap:

I am guided by the razor, but since the razors I am using most right now are Timeless Ti and Chiseled Face Ti, I am using a shallow angle. That's what those razors seem to like and how they are most effective. The Timeless you can use a neutral angle with, but the CF has to be more shallow. They both give wonderful shaves.

I've tried steep angles with other razors, but haven't yet gotten the hang of it.

I use whatever angle is appropriate for the razor + blade system.

If a particular razor + blade system needs a shallow angle, I use a shallow angle.

However, my personal preference is for razor + blade systems that favor a steep angle. :)
I’m somewhat confused. In your Nodachi review, you mention that you used a steep angle and had a DFS shave. However, the Nodachi is designed for a shallow 24 degree angle.

Top Bottom