What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Got through an easy 5k run tonight without my knee getting too messed up. Definitely started feeling it as I got toward the end of the run & it was certainly stiff when I was done, but no major pain like last week. In hindsight, I should've stopped at 2 miles, but I am a little stupid.

Got through an easy 5k run tonight without my knee getting too messed up. Definitely started feeling it as I got toward the end of the run & it was certainly stiff when I was done, but no major pain like last week. In hindsight, I should've stopped at 2 miles, but I am a little stupid.

Be careful!

So, I did something stupid yesterday. We are tapering for the marathon and had 5 easy miles on the schedule. I wasn't in a great mood and then a truck nearly ran me over while I was in the crosswalk. Words may have been exchanged. In my anger I ran the 5 miles at a 6:18 pace. :/ But I redeemed myself this morning with 5 miles at an 8:02 pace.

Please don't push to hard, I've set myself back months over doing it. Best to take it slow. :thumbup1:

Be careful!

So, I did something stupid yesterday. We are tapering for the marathon and had 5 easy miles on the schedule. I wasn't in a great mood and then a truck nearly ran me over while I was in the crosswalk. Words may have been exchanged. In my anger I ran the 5 miles at a 6:18 pace. :/ But I redeemed myself this morning with 5 miles at an 8:02 pace.

The truck always seems to win that argument! :blink:

I've been neglecting this sub lately, but I wanted to check in (a few weeks late) and say that I finished the Des Moines Marathon! Ran it in 4:13:39. I had kept a 9 minute mile pace through the first 20 but I was hit with terrible cramps in my calves and eventually crossed the finish line running straight legged like the tin man after my legs locked up from allover leg cramping. Overall I am very happy with my time, but wonder what I could have done to avoid the agony that was the last 6.2 miles.
Any suggestions from experienced runners on how you have dealt with cramps during your marathons? Other than hitting the bananas earlier, I can't really pick out anything that could have saved me that last 10k.

First, congratulations on completing the marathon. Well-done. I have one on the still-distant horizon right now so these sorts of things are on my mind.
What was the weather like? What was your hydration plan? Sometimes warm weather lends itself to more cramping. I have also had problems at times with excess water consumption. Diluting things too much can lead to electrolyte problems late in the race. The book Waterlogged by Tim Noakes discusses this in great detail.

All that said, even in my fastest marathon over a decade ago (3:02:20), I had some cramping in the final couple of miles and slowed more than I wanted to.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
no running for me this week. i have been suffering from a stone bruise since last weekends 10K. how long are these things supposed to last?

10k number two is in the books with a time of 55:11 (my first 10k was finished in 56:00). Second place in my age group. The run was miserably cold and windy. Even the post race bananas were semi-frozen just from sitting out.

10k number two is in the books with a time of 55:11 (my first 10k was finished in 56:00). Second place in my age group. The run was miserably cold and windy. Even the post race bananas were semi-frozen just from sitting out.

Good work! 49 seconds is a good shave off your last time! Well at least it wasn't humid. :wink2:

4 Mile run in 31:31, not sure what my last 4 mile run was but I think it was around 35. I want to do 5 miles in under 40:00 within two weeks and then 10K in under 48:00 by Christmas.

I've been neglecting this sub lately, but I wanted to check in (a few weeks late) and say that I finished the Des Moines Marathon! Ran it in 4:13:39. I had kept a 9 minute mile pace through the first 20 but I was hit with terrible cramps in my calves and eventually crossed the finish line running straight legged like the tin man after my legs locked up from allover leg cramping. Overall I am very happy with my time, but wonder what I could have done to avoid the agony that was the last 6.2 miles.
Any suggestions from experienced runners on how you have dealt with cramps during your marathons? Other than hitting the bananas earlier, I can't really pick out anything that could have saved me that last 10k.

Congratulations! Like Tim said, not enough information to know why you cramped. Heat, nutrition and hydration are the usual suspects, though.

Great job in tough conditions!

Taking the wise advice elsewhere in this thread, I have continued to rest my knee and am happy to report a 2 mile run @ around an 8:15-:30 pace with a .3 mile cool down jog and no pain in my knee afterward this evening. Going to keep my mileage low and effort light over the next week or two and see how it feels. Also trying out a new pair of Newton Energy II's and working on taking some of the impact out of my stride.

I haven't run in Newtons before, and these are one of the mildest of their current lineup. It is one of their gateway/transition models and I am liking them after the first few miles so far.

$m-nrii-side.jpg

First, congratulations on completing the marathon. Well-done. I have one on the still-distant horizon right now so these sorts of things are on my mind.
What was the weather like? What was your hydration plan? Sometimes warm weather lends itself to more cramping. I have also had problems at times with excess water consumption. Diluting things too much can lead to electrolyte problems late in the race. The book Waterlogged by Tim Noakes discusses this in great detail.

All that said, even in my fastest marathon over a decade ago (3:02:20), I had some cramping in the final couple of miles and slowed more than I wanted to.
I was refueling with Gu about every 45 minutes. Because I was using Gu I went with water at aid stations about every 3-4 miles I would say. I also grabbed a banana at the aid stations when they were available. After I started cramping I switched to Gatorade at the aid stations for the last 8 miles I would say. I had not had issues during training but that may be a result of training with SWMBO. She runs significantly slower so our long runs usually averaged between 11:30-12:00 minute miles. I had only run 12 miles at race pace going into the marathon. Under training may be the culprit, but I just couldn't justify ditching the lady on our long runs.
The weather was perfect. Started off cold in the morning, but I had dressed for low 60's knowing it would heat up. It was just a little windy, but never got over 65 if I remember correctly, so I don't believe weather was to blame.

Taking the wise advice elsewhere in this thread, I have continued to rest my knee and am happy to report a 2 mile run @ around an 8:15-:30 pace with a .3 mile cool down jog and no pain in my knee afterward this evening. Going to keep my mileage low and effort light over the next week or two and see how it feels. Also trying out a new pair of Newton Energy II's and working on taking some of the impact out of my stride.

I haven't run in Newtons before, and these are one of the mildest of their current lineup. It is one of their gateway/transition models and I am liking them after the first few miles so far.

View attachment 514800

Seriously going to be watching your progress w/these...

I was refueling with Gu about every 45 minutes. Because I was using Gu I went with water at aid stations about every 3-4 miles I would say. I also grabbed a banana at the aid stations when they were available. After I started cramping I switched to Gatorade at the aid stations for the last 8 miles I would say. I had not had issues during training but that may be a result of training with SWMBO. She runs significantly slower so our long runs usually averaged between 11:30-12:00 minute miles. I had only run 12 miles at race pace going into the marathon. Under training may be the culprit, but I just couldn't justify ditching the lady on our long runs.
The weather was perfect. Started off cold in the morning, but I had dressed for low 60's knowing it would heat up. It was just a little windy, but never got over 65 if I remember correctly, so I don't believe weather was to blame.
This seems like a lot of refueling to me, especially considering the conditions. Did you do the same fueling during your training runs?

But you are right about being under trained. You have to train at a pace appropriate for what your marathon pace will be.

This seems like a lot of refueling to me, especially considering the conditions. Did you do the same fueling during your training runs?

But you are right about being under trained. You have to train at a pace appropriate for what your marathon pace will be.

My refueling was pretty consistent with my training schedule. Overall I'm happy with how things went for my first marathon, I'm just having some "what if" thoughts.

My refueling was pretty consistent with my training schedule. Overall I'm happy with how things went for my first marathon, I'm just having some "what if" thoughts.

Those thoughts are natural, but be proud of yourself. You finished, that's no easy feat.

I think it was the slower training long runs that threw you. If you're only used to running that slowly, dropping as much as you did in the race, the pace will be a shock to the system.

Seriously going to be watching your progress w/these...

I'll try to keep you posted. They definitely make me more conscious of how I am landing on my feet. FWIW, in my first run with them, I did 2 miles in the Newtons then made a quick switch to my Brooks Adrenaline 13's for the 3rd mile. After the Newtons, the Adrenalines felt terrible, I mean really terrible. They are just so much more shoe than the Newtons and they felt really blocky and unnatural on my feet. It was almost impossible for me to not heel strike in the Brooks after jumping immediately into them after the Newtons.

Interestingly, in my second run in the Newtons yesterday I liked them more and I could definitely tell I was landing with a much more midfoot strike. In my neighborhood, I run a lap that includes a dirt access road to a new phase of the subdivision. A good portion of this road is typical loose, sandy Delaware soil and shows footprints extremely well. On my second lap, I could clearly see my footprints from my first lap and I was honestly surprised to see that there were virtually no heel marks in my prints. Only the forefront of the footprint was clearly defined and it was also very clear that I was pushing off with my toes, as I could see where the toe of the shoe dug in.

I don't know enough yet to give an educated opinion on the shoes, other than the fact that they are high quality, fit my wide-ish flat feet well, and are very lightweight compared to most of my other shoes. The "p.o.p. 3" platform is very subtle in how much you feel the lugs in the forefoot, and I would definitely recommend them as a starting point for someone wanting to give Newton a try. The 6mm drop is a good transition height too, I think.

At $110, they are priced very competitively, IMHO. Time will tell if it was money well spent, but they are definitely worth the price, quality-wise.

Top Bottom