What's new

Any Runners in the House?

No worries, Josh! I am doing the Savannah Rock-n-Roll marathon. Trying to qualify for Boston. Need to get under a 3:15. Hoping for cool weather on race day.
Good luck in the marathon!!! Just watch your pace for the first few miles as adrenaline will make you run faster and may cost you in the end(I know from experience, but realised quick enough to recover).

I hope you Qualify!! Boston is the greatest running race in the world.

Sorry to hear that. So did you run the half in your current shoes? In my experience when I switched from my "go to" shoe (i.e those Dyads that I complain about) to a different, similarly-modeled shoe (I think it was an Asics brand, but now I'm not so sure), I developed issues almost right away. It got to the point where I couldn't run more than a couple of miles without feeling knee pain. I think some of it was my lack of confidence in the shoes themselves so I altered my stride, but they all went away when I exchanged them back to the Dyads.

It could be that you just developed an injury from normal running; like dabrock says, it sounds like the IT band. I've read that its not a question of if a long-term runner will develop some sort of injury, but when. While I've never developed IT band issues (and hopefully I won't), I have had shin splints for a while. I found some exercises that strengthens the calf and muscles associated with shin splints so they went away for now, but I know that without staying on top it they will come back.

If it persists I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a physical therapist. I did it when I injured my knee and developed shin splints and got some great stretches, exercises, treatment plans, etc.

I ran the half in the Nikes, but I have only been running in them for a couple of weeks, maybe 25-30 miles. They were fine during the half and I appreciated the extra cushioning, but I wonder if they changed my gait enough to tweak the IT band and/or torque my knee. I am really hoping that it isn't the IT band because I know that can take a while to get straightened out, but the pain is in the right location for it to be, and I can't think of what else it could be.

I have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 13's that I am going to go back to and see if it helps. A couple more days rest and I will try a mile or two and see how it feels.

The odd part was that I didn't feel any discomfort at all during the run, and I actually ran a pretty good time. When I hit 3 miles I slowed down to a walk for a minute or two and it still felt fine. As soon as I started into a cool down jog, the pain was immediate & there was no way that I could run on it. I hobbled home and it was sore and stiff for the next 24 hours or so.

Now it feels fine again & I can't tell if there is any issue still.

So has anyone ever thought of doing something like this? http://www.somersault.ca/eventwinterman.htm

I've run in -30 to -40C (doesn't matter F or C at that range!) and it wasn't as bad as I thought but I've only ever run about 5K in that type of cold. I wonder what a 10K let alone a 1/2 or full would be like. :scared: I'm oddly thinking about it...:blink:

So has anyone ever thought of doing something like this? http://www.somersault.ca/eventwinterman.htm

I've run in -30 to -40C (doesn't matter F or C at that range!) and it wasn't as bad as I thought but I've only ever run about 5K in that type of cold. I wonder what a 10K let alone a 1/2 or full would be like. :scared: I'm oddly thinking about it...:blink:

Man, its getting down to the 40's (with a plus sign) at night and I don't want to go out there to run! I've found that running longer distances in extreme cold (albeit our cold this past winter with the polar vortex was around 5-10 degrees F) the really important thing is remember to hydrate as usual. I felt the need to hydrate less and in a few runs over 15 miles I got pretty dehydrated post-run as a result.

I ran the half in the Nikes, but I have only been running in them for a couple of weeks, maybe 25-30 miles. They were fine during the half and I appreciated the extra cushioning, but I wonder if they changed my gait enough to tweak the IT band and/or torque my knee. I am really hoping that it isn't the IT band because I know that can take a while to get straightened out, but the pain is in the right location for it to be, and I can't think of what else it could be.

I wouldn't think its the shoes then. I found when I switched shoes that the pain came on pretty quickly.

I have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 13's that I am going to go back to and see if it helps. A couple more days rest and I will try a mile or two and see how it feels.

That makes sense. Whenever I went to P/T for my various ailments the first part of any regimen was "rest for a little bit."

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how often do you run them? I think my next level would be to start running marathons consistently, but that won't be for a couple of years until our daughters get a little older. I really liked the discipline that marathon training forced on me and I lost a ton of weight especially toward the end once I finally got my training and my diet aligned.

Once a year. This year was my first time running two in a year and I could really feel it towards the tail end of the program. Just sore and tired a lot. That said, I have friends a few years older than me who run 5-10 a year....your ability to run multiples depends on a lot of variables to include genetics methinks.

Man, its getting down to the 40's (with a plus sign) at night and I don't want to go out there to run! I've found that running longer distances in extreme cold (albeit our cold this past winter with the polar vortex was around 5-10 degrees F) the really important thing is remember to hydrate as usual. I felt the need to hydrate less and in a few runs over 15 miles I got pretty dehydrated post-run as a result.

Yeah, I remember doing winter exercises (military exercises) and being so dehydrated I ended up with thick urine and a trip to the medical building. It actually sneaks up on you in the cold.

5K in 23:36 today. Not too bad since I felt sluggish getting started but was able to get going around 2.5K. I'm going to try to hit 22:30 by the end of the year.

Good luck! Looks like a good race to qualify and hopefully the weather cooperates!
Thanks!
Good luck in the marathon!!! Just watch your pace for the first few miles as adrenaline will make you run faster and may cost you in the end(I know from experience, but realised quick enough to recover).

I hope you Qualify!! Boston is the greatest running race in the world.
Thank you! Qualifying for Boston would be amazing. I grew up in New England but never went down to watch the marathon.

Thanks!

Thank you! Qualifying for Boston would be amazing. I grew up in New England but never went down to watch the marathon.

Qualifying for Boston period is amazing but the connection to the area and previous marathons is certainly a bonus.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom