What's new

Any metal pipe fans?

I have 2 Aristocobs and a bent Falcon International, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think SOME metal pipes are nice looking, Kirstens for sure.

Crud... Now I wish I got the snifter bowl... Bought a bent with a plymouth bowl.
How do you like the meerschaum lining?

Crud... Now I wish I got the snifter bowl... Bought a bent with a plymouth bowl.
How do you like the meerschaum lining?
I have smoked a total of maybe 5 bowls in it but so far so good, the plymouth bowl was my first choice until I saw the meer lined snifter, I just thought it would look right for the pipe, I was right IMO. That Kirsten you have is sweet looking, I considered one but they were too pricey for me at the time.

Last edited:
I'd been looking at the Kirsten for over a year before I finally bought it. Got it with my tax return money while I had the extra cash on hand. Don't regret it a bit, actually really want a extra one if they start production again.

I have smoked a total of maybe 5 bowls in it but so far so good, the plymouth bowl was my first choice until I saw the meer lined snifter, I just thought it would look right for the pipe, I was right IMO. That Kirsten you have is sweet looking, I considered one but they were too pricey for me at the time.

The old falcon has been getting all my attention this week. Not sure why because the Kirsten is a cooler smoker. Curious how that happens.

Ok guys - after reading this thread and trying to win a (nice) used Falcon on eBay for a couple of weeks, I decided to go ahead and order a new one. I found that unless I wanted a real junker, the price difference wasn't that great.
I'll check back in and let you guys know what I think after I receive it and give it a try.

Awesome brother! Keep us posted.
Ok guys - after reading this thread and trying to win a (nice) used Falcon on eBay for a couple of weeks, I decided to go ahead and order a new one. I found that unless I wanted a real junker, the price difference wasn't that great.
I'll check back in and let you guys know what I think after I receive it and give it a try.

I received my my Falcon last night, and gave it a try.. (Sorry, for some reason I can't get pictures to load on B&B today.)
What a great pipe! I smoked some Bob's Chocolate Flake, and found that I could taste the tobacco much better in the Falcon than I could in any of my briar pipes. It was smooth, dry, and cool. Tonight I'll try it with something else (Most likely Captain Cool or some Blue Note that I've just received.) and see if it was that great, or just a good night for a smoke.

I received my my Falcon last night, and gave it a try.. (Sorry, for some reason I can't get pictures to load on B&B today.)
What a great pipe! I smoked some Bob's Chocolate Flake, and found that I could taste the tobacco much better in the Falcon than I could in any of my briar pipes. It was smooth, dry, and cool. Tonight I'll try it with something else (Most likely Captain Cool or some Blue Note that I've just received.) and see if it was that great, or just a good night for a smoke.

Glad you enjoyed it brother. Maybe you'll be able to stop at just one falcon... It's tough though.
attachment.php

I have a couple Falcons and a Quiet Comrade. I tend to use them more for work, but they always provide a pleasing smoke. If they get really gunky I just soak them in some cheap gin and the gunk comes right off and they are as good as new. When I first started smoking pipes, I was working on gas wells and gas pipelines and all the old timers smoked Falcons. I pretty much was put off of them for that reason because I was such an arrogant young whipper snapper, but I have come to find that those old timers used what worked and Falcon pipes are great when you are out working in the middle of nowhere and have to have a reliable pipe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have been converted! Falcons have a nice wide open draw compare to the Kirsten's I have, but the Kirsten's seems to keep the tobacco just smoldering though the draw is a bit tighter. Haven't touched my other pipes in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if the bore on falcon bowls vary at all?
I've got a couple old used falcon bowls that have a wider opening than the newer ones. Not sure if that is the way they were made or a previous owner did something to them. I get bits of tobacco in my mouth if I puff to hard smoking those ones.

All the standard stems are the same regardless of age it seems like.

I love my kirstens, but knowing that they still make falcons I enjoy smoking the falcon a bit more. Works with my paranoid stockpiling nature.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thank God you can get a smokable Falcon for around 10.00 on eBay.

I also found even the really cruddy ones shine up really nicely on the buffer.

I've got a couple old used falcon bowls that have a wider opening than the newer ones. Not sure if that is the way they were made or a previous owner did something to them. I get bits of tobacco in my mouth if I puff to hard smoking those ones.

All the standard stems are the same regardless of age it seems like.

I love my kirstens, but knowing that they still make falcons I enjoy smoking the falcon a bit more. Works with my paranoid stockpiling nature.
They do have the "Hyper bowls" I don't if they are larger bored but I think they are deeper.

Well i cant let you and blade boy have all the fun to yourselves Haiku, so if one were to turn his intrest to a metal pip where should i begin to look, I would imagine the Kirsten and the falcon are places i should look, falcon being the easier to get your hands on ?? do the bowls falcon offer differ or is only the eye candy to them that make them different i noticed there are meershaum or briar bowls

hate the looks of them but im into function over form sometimes too

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
They do have the "Hyper bowls" I don't if they are larger bored but I think they are deeper.

I was wondering if they had narrower bowls for flakes and whatnot, although the regular bowls are good as they are.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well i cant let you and blade boy have all the fun to yourselves Haiku, so if one were to turn his intrest to a metal pip where should i begin to look, I would imagine the Kirsten and the falcon are places i should look, falcon being the easier to get your hands on ?? do the bowls falcon offer differ or is only the eye candy to them that make them different i noticed there are meershaum or briar bowls

hate the looks of them but im into function over form sometimes too

I think the look will grow on you. I never thought ANY pipe looked nice before I got hooked.

The cheapest Falcons will be in lots IME. Just picked up 2 falcons and a Kirsten for 20.00.

I think the look will grow on you. I never thought ANY pipe looked nice before I got hooked.

The cheapest Falcons will be in lots IME. Just picked up 2 falcons and a Kirsten for 20.00.

Thats a great price, ill have to check around the bay and see if i can find a good deal for myself ! thanks Kentos

Top Bottom