What's new

Any metal detectorists here?

No question or specific talking point. Just curious if anyone here is a metal detectoris?

I am relatively new to the hobby. Got my first detector a little over a year ago. Then grabbed two more shortly there after. I get out and detect when I can and balance between fishing and dirt fishing haha. Its a blast! I've been pretty lucky to have found some interesting stuff so early on. Honestly I don't mind find clad change haha.

My current detector lineup.
-nokta makro simplex+ (my first detector)
-nokta makro multi kruzer
-minelab equinox 600
Also have the usual accessories. A couple pinpointers, heavy duty shovels, and hand diggers.

Are there any others out there? I haven't seen any detecting threads but its possible I missed them haha.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nope. But it's interesting.

I may try to get one in the near future, but I don't know anything about them. It could be enlightening to see what I can find out here that's been there for who knows how long.

Nope. But it's interesting.

I may try to get one in the near future, but I don't know anything about them. It could be enlightening to see what I can find out here that's been there for who knows how long.
Its great fun! There are so many youtube videos and books to help get things going but usually the best thing is just to use the detector when you get one. I'm not exactly brand loyal but I recommend the one I started with. The simplex is very easy to use with pretty minimal adjustments and buttons to press. It also is the only waterproof (to 10ft) detector in the beginner range. Doesn't matter to some but I'm intrigued by water detecting.

Its super addictive! I found all sorta of stuff at my grandmothers house and an old mill house my parents own.

20210507_163158.jpg
20201229_221703.jpg
20210117_194502.jpg
20210124_202645.jpg
20210129_201511.jpg
20210130_213809.jpg
20210130_213844.jpg
20210206_182852.jpg
20210206_183041.jpg
20210206_183105.jpg

Legion

Staff member
I have a fisher gold bug, a beginners gold detector, because the area I live was once riddled with gold mines, and I wanted to try my hand at prospecting.

To be honest I haven’t much used it yet.

Nice! I haven't gotten into the gold prospecting side of things yet. Not really sure I will. Definitely understand the difficulty of finding time to get out haha. I'm hoping to grab a couple more coils for one of my machines sometime soon.

Very cool finds. My son was all set to get me a metal detector for Christmas, but I asked for a magnet fishing setup instead. I haven’t done either, so I hope I didn’t make the wrong decision. The magnet fishing seemed easier lol

Very cool finds. My son was all set to get me a metal detector for Christmas, but I asked for a magnet fishing setup instead. I haven’t done either, so I hope I didn’t make the wrong decision. The magnet fishing seemed easier lol
Nice! I've been magnet fishing curious. It looks fun! Post up you finds when you get out and dunk the magnet 😁👍.

source.gif

I don't but I think it would be great fun! Love seeing the finds shown in the posts above, as well as watching my favorite guilty pleasure show. Gary Drayton, above, as seen on the History Channel's The Curse of Oak Island.

Some finds from a short detecting session yesterday afternoon. Some change and other random doodads. The neatest find is the ring! First ring I've found in 2022. Thought it was gold at first but unfortunately it isn't. It is still a pretty neat "lord of the rings" ring. It even fits haha.

20220107_190007.jpg
20220107_185833.jpg
20220107_185914.jpg
20220107_190105.jpg
20220107_190132.jpg

I have three metal detectors, but haven't been out in a number of years. It's a fun hobby, and to quote Forrest Gump "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get." I don't even turn my nose up at finding clad, I look at that as battery money. Oldest coin ever found - 1899 Barber Half. Really had to dig for that one. My Fisher CZ3D said 8, but I was thinking more like 10 - 12.

Great stuff, I like the old stuff but haven't any collection yet.
I want to recommend one of the community Friendly Metal Detecting Forums - Powered by vBulletin - https://metaldetectingforum.com/
The old coins and stuff are super interesting. Only ones I have are what I've found. So not many haha.

I have three metal detectors, but haven't been out in a number of years. It's a fun hobby, and to quote Forrest Gump "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get." I don't even turn my nose up at finding clad, I look at that as battery money. Oldest coin ever found - 1899 Barber Half. Really had to dig for that one. My Fisher CZ3D said 8, but I was thinking more like 10 - 12.
Definitely never know! At first all I wanted was the old stuff but now I just enjoy getting out and finding stuff. I won't turn down clad or other stuff. Figure I can't complain about finding money or anything kinda neat even if it isn't collectible or valuable. Nice thing is all of my machines are rechargeable. I have to remember to charge them but it saves money on batteries 👍. Its a fun hobby! So far my oldest coin was an 1890 Indian head cent. Didn't realize what I had till I got home and cleaned it a bit. Its super worn. I found it right next to a sidewalk in front of an old mill house.

20210206_182852.jpg
20210206_182840.jpg

Top Bottom