What's new

Any metal detectorists here?

Before the snow hit I was able get out and detect a bit friday and saturday. Had a good time and found alot. The park I went to Saturday gave up a few older wheat cents 👍.

20220114_194626.jpg
20220115_184609.jpg
20220115_185106.jpg

A friend of mine, who operated in Tioga county NY
was heavily into it. He did a lot of research and knew where a lot of things had been.
He gave me a lot of things over the years.
The one which I wear every day, is this 1790's belt buckle.

DSCN1295c.jpg

He also gave me a 1798 two reales coin,
which was what they used for quarters in those days.

The coolest things he ever showed me were a pair
of George Washington presidential campaign buttons.
Nick Cage's character collected those in the movie National Treasure.
Aside from being rare, what made them valuable,
was that in all likelihood they had once been owned
by people who had shaken hands with George Washington.
He sold those for more than ten thousand dollars
in New York City.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, who operated in Tioga county NY
was heavily into it. He did a lot of research and knew where a lot of things had been.
He gave me a lot of things over the years.
The one which I wear every day, is this 1790's belt buckle.

View attachment 1399804

He also gave me a 1798 two reales coin,
which was what they used for quarters in those days.

The coolest things he ever showed me were a pair
of George Washington presidential campaign buttons.
Nick Cage's character collected those in the movie National Treasure.
Aside from being rare, what made them valuable,
was that in all likelihood they had once been owned
by people who had shaken hands with George Washington.
He sold those for more than ten thousand dollars
in New York City.
Very neat!

I have a Garrett AT Pro, but have a hard time finding locations to detect. What types of places are your stand by locations that don't need permissions?

I have lots of private, wooded, previously farmed land around going back to 1650 - 1700 as well, but never know who to ask permission from.

I have a Garrett AT Pro, but have a hard time finding locations to detect. What types of places are your stand by locations that don't need permissions?

I have lots of private, wooded, previously farmed land around going back to 1650 - 1700 as well, but never know who to ask permission from.

If you're ever in the middle of nowhere, either in the woods or in a field,
and you happen to see a lilac tree,
that means that there is a house foundation nearby.

While there might be almost anything by the foundation,
the outhouse is of special importance.
The safest way to dispose of glass is to bury it,
and easiest way to bury a bottle was to drop it down in the outhouse.

Also, farmers have always liked to dump their trash in ravines.

I forgot to mention that the outhouse was typically a 25 foot shot
straight out the back door.

Good tips. Thanks!

My usual is parks and playgrounds. Check on the towns website or parks and rec page to see if there is anything against detecting. If not then go for it. I usually don't take a shovel to parks. Just a hand digger. I try to be discreet and keep everything clean (which detectorist should do always). There usual isn't anything old depending on the age of the park. I have fun digging modern coins too though. Also a chance for jewelry which is fun. Getting permissions are probably the hardest part of metal detecting.

My usual is parks and playgrounds. Check on the towns website or parks and rec page to see if there is anything against detecting. If not then go for it. I usually don't take a shovel to parks. Just a hand digger. I try to be discreet and keep everything clean (which detectorist should do always). There usual isn't anything old depending on the age of the park. I have fun digging modern coins too though. Also a chance for jewelry which is fun. Getting permissions are probably the hardest part of metal detecting.

Thank you for those tips. I have a blast finding anything (that isn't junk) and even a modern coin might as well be pirate treasure as far as the kids are concerned.

That's cool. When I was a kid, I would always watch people along the Jersey shore with their metal detectors looking for treasure or whatever the beachgoers lost during their time there.

That's cool. When I was a kid, I would always watch people along the Jersey shore with their metal detectors looking for treasure or whatever the beachgoers lost during their time there.
Nice! Beach detecting is an art form haha. Know where to look and where the current/tides will take the stuff is interesting. Some day I'll try it haha.

Got this in the mail the other day. My first garrett metal detector! Its an older model, a gta 1000 from the mid 90s I guess. Grabbed it off ebay for $100 shipped. It came with two coils and the headphones. Seems to work perfectly from what I can tell. It was listed as a gta350. Didn't realize it was a gta1000 untill after I won it for the minimum bid haha. Can't wait to get out and find some stuff with this oldie goldie.

20220204_132723.jpg
20220204_133734.jpg
20220204_133749.jpg
20220204_133804.jpg

Nice collection of coins!
Also, I'm trying to find one at least around me.
Trying to find a detector? There might be a dealer around. I know most sporting good stores has some on the shelf. You will usually get better pricing on new one by talking directly to a dealer. They will ship em straight to your home 👍. Its a great hobby. Takes some patience as you will dig way more trash out than treasure. But the treasure you find does make it all worth it 👍.

Had an exciting day detecting! Not as much coinage found but what was found was exciting! Found my first silver coin if the year today (haven't found a silver coin in around a year 😳). A 1942 war nickel (amazing it wasn't very deep 4in). The second one I've ever found. Went the rest of the day chasing deep signals that were mostly trash. Then right before packing up I go a deep repeatable high tone signal. Dug pretty deep at around 8-10in. Pretty challenging with a hand digger. I was expecting another piece of trash... but out popped a silver dime! A 1929 mercury dime to be exact. I was over the moon! When I rechecked the hole there was something else! A 1954 rosie! First rosie I've ever found. So I found three silver coins total and a 1950 wheat cent. Thats the most silver I've ever found in an outing. Needless to say I'm still pumped about it haha!

Metal detector: Minelab Equinox 600

20220212_181642.jpg
GridArt_20220212_193138368.jpg
GridArt_20220212_193232988.jpg
GridArt_20220212_193506836.jpg
GridArt_20220212_193529911.jpg
20220212_181444.jpg
20220212_181451.jpg

Top Bottom