What's new

Any good reads lately?

I am a sucker for Laurell K. Hamilton. She does the sex, the intrigue and character development in a way that melts my heart and this is a true guilty pleasure for me...! Oddly enough, the first book in her Vampire/Werewolf series is named Guilty Pleasures... totally on mark!

I am seriously addicted... is anyone else or am I showing my true colours here.... lol

Mama Bear who swears she only does Aristotle..... hehehe:blushing:

Tito said:
Oh My... Stars.:lol:

NMMB: I thought it was a very interesting take on Econ and Stats (correlations). Who knew a kid named Loser would become a decorated police officer?
Mitch: I see that you're in academics. I would highly suggest Fluke, Christopher Moore. It is about marine biologists and theories on whales kinda...
Justin: Japanese aso... I like that idea. You might enjoy The Box Man, Kobo Abe. BTW I'm a Vonnegurt nut too.

I been toying with the idea of reading some Carl Hiaasen anybody suggest a good one to begin with?

Tito

Anything by Greg Bear instead......???

Mama Bear

jfm said:
You think I should move on to a series even though I am still struggling through Goodnight Moon?!?
:lol:

Now I've certainly read that book a few times, however, it has recently taken 2nd chair to Moo, Baa, La La La!

Hi Tito,
I just finished Fast Food Nation by Eric Schloesser. I've been meaning to read it since it was first published a few years ago but just got around to it. It is in many ways an updated version of The Jungle. Although Schloesser's book is considered to be far more factual.

As for good, all-around addictive authors:
Hemmingway - I put a pool in last summer and read all his stuff in about two months. His writing style is abrupt and takes a little getting used to but it's Hemmingway and it's worth it.

James Michener - He writes 1,000 page epic retellings of the formation of nations (and their annexed territories). My favorite is Alaska. He begins with the forming of the earth and takes you all the way up to the day the book is published by telling the stories of the people who lived there and shaped the land. I cannot adequately put into words how well this is written. Everything in the book is factual except the characters. Events, places, all retold through the lense of a superb fiction writer. I also enjoyed Hawaii, Texas, and Mexico.

Leon Uris - His best work is Exodus. The meat of the book begins with the formation of Israel in 1948 from British Palestine. It then goes through 1967 and the 6 day war. There was a slight bias toward Israel but their misdeeds are told as well. His other books are quite good too. Similar to the Michener books, Uris attempts to portray actual historical events through the dramatic storytelling of fictional characters. In light of what is going on in the world today Exodus is quite relevant.

Jeffrey Archer - As seems to be the case with all the greats Sir Archer was just released from prison. He is my pick for best living author. Start with As the Crow Flies. I read his books in the manner in which you describe. That is, several hours at a time until I could no longer keep my eyes open. He is a remarkable talent. His short stories are better than any I've come across.

The early Tom Clancy's are very good but they are getting a bit dated. His current offerings are very poor IMO.
Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

I found Michener's "Centennial" to be a great book. It started off a bit slow, but was well worth the effort.

Randy

Hi Randy, that one is on my shelf but I haven't picked it up yet. His tomes require a bit of a commitment and I am currently wrestling my way through Atlas Shrugged.

Most longer novels start off slowly which can turn some readers off. Michener's books are like this but the best example I know of is War and Peace. The first three hundred pages are nothing but names. It's bewildering trying to keep everybody straight but the payoff is big. If you are a fan of this type of writing I would highly recommend Alaska, also by Michener. The beginning is also a bit slow but as you way, well worth the effort. I was particulary impressed that after 900 pages I did not feel that I had been given any superfluous information. I understand he took years researching before writing a signle word.
Cheers,
Jeff

I am of the opinion that Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" should be required reading for everyone. I try to read it at least once a year and it never ceases to amaze me (not that I think I have the right to even comment on such a momentous and important work.)

Southern Exposure: A Solo Sea Kayaking Journey Around New Zealand's South Island by Chris Duff

Incredible, easy to read. I highly recommend it, even if you aren't a kayaking enthusiast. Great for beach-reading.

If you like scifi/fantasy, C.J Cherryh is pretty good. Plenty of option in either genre. I really enjoyed Fortress in The Eye of Time.

Also, people tend to forget how really readable and entertaining some of the classics are. I just read Razor's Edge, by Somerset Maugham, and found it almost impossible to put down. (No, not a suspense thriller, though, despite the title). Also, if you are a geek like me, his style is amazing - that man knew how to HANDLE the english language.

Also love Robert Penn Warren, especially All The Kings Men. Terrific combination of political intrigue, psychological tension, and personal battle against the forces of corruption, all told in perfect Great Southern Novel fashion.

For the Stephen King/Dean Koontz type crowd you should check out the online novel John Dies in the End.

The Novel is HERE and worth looking at... I haven't finished it yet, but I am on Chapter 8 so far.

Anyone interested in America's real foreign relationship with Saudi Arabia should read ex-CIA Operative Robert Baer's book

"Sleeping with the Devil...How Washington sold our soul for Saudi crude"

Well written and well documented sources and references.

It will astound you.

Top Bottom