What's new

Any cottage cheese recipes?

Picked up some cottage cheese recently and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes?

Have tried it just by itself, not too bad, but a bit plain tasting.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Picked up some cottage cheese recently and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes?

Have tried it just by itself, not too bad, but a bit plain tasting.

Salt and pepper.

It is a very very nice ingredient in home made lasagna.

When I was a kid I would eat it with fruit or jelly, like my mom. Dad would always eat it with black pepper, my brothers and I thought it looked gross that way. Now that I'm an adult I it eat with black pepper, funny how tastes change as we mature. It also goes well on a baked potato, if there is no sour cream.

I enjoy it just plain from the tub. Not all cottage cheese is created equal!

My wife, like Tony will add peaches, or apple or carrots or celery and maybe oatmeal. She's okay with plain as well.

She tells me her mom used cottage cheese to stuff perogies.

We've always used ricotta in lasagna but my mom always used cottage cheese, i think my sister probably does that as well. The anglophonization(?) of an Italian classic, what's this weird ricotta stuff?

dave

Last edited:
Canned pears in heavy syrup, cottage cheese, and freshly ground black pepper. Something about the combination simply works for me.

Just a drizzling of A1. Or homemade salsa with crushed up tortilla chips. Or fruit with a lite sprinkle of chile powder. Or chopped scallions mixed in with salt and pepper spread on pumpernickel toast.

My Grandmother always put brown sugar on cottage cheese for us. I just eat it plain now. My wife puts salsa on hers. I always thought all CC was the same, then my wife introduced me to Michigan Cottage Cheese, boy was I wrong. Michigan CC is a lot dryer, so it goes well in recipes. Very small curds too. I love it. Last time we were in Grand Rapids we brought home a cooler full.
Anyone else like Michigan CC?

Attachments

• $thLQPASCDM.jpg
    $thLQPASCDM.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 43
I love cottage cheese. Plain is fine with me. Sliced cherry tomatoes are a nice addition. I also like finely diced bell peppers(red and/or yellow are my preference). Cucumber is tasty too. There is a dairy here in central Iowa that used to have a transcendent cottage cheese. For decades they hand-packed it in waxed cardboard containers. About 12-15 years ago they went to a mechanical packing system, blaming the change on having issues sourcing the cardboard containers (read as: machines are cheaper than people). Their cottage cheese is still very good, but the texture isn't the same. It is no longer worth its premium price, in my opinion. The dairy's sour cream dips, however, are the best in the known universe.....

Top Bottom