What's new

anti-tobacco law

I haven't read up on this new law that was passed, but I thought I heard that it will ban tobacco from being flavored with fruit.

Will this effect pipe tobacco or is it just cigarettes and dip?

I really don't want to get into this debate, but I do have a straight forward question: Will Swedish Snus be unavailable (or illegal) here in the US?

Given the past history of delegated administrative authority (namely what happened in the 60's with the SG's warning), the tobacco companies will likely co-opt the rule-making apparatus and use it to their advantage. I wouldn't worry about it.

I suspect that with the FDA involved in formulating cigarettes, several things will happen:

The price will rise even further, due to ever increasing taxes.

They won't taste the same anymore.

Smokers will start stockpiling their favorite brands before the formulas change, and a "vintage" carton of cigarettes will become as desirable as a rare bottle of wine or an antique razor.

Smoking will be banned in even more public places than it is already.

Major brands will outsource their manufacturing and marketing overseas.

Last edited:
I really don't want to get into this debate, but I do have a straight forward question: Will Swedish Snus be unavailable (or illegal) here in the US?

The short answer is that under the strictest interpretation of the law the only brand that will be legal here in the US will be the General brand, because that was available in brick and mortar shops just prior to the cut off date of February 2007. Swedish Match (the parent company of General) is building a production facility here in order to get around any importation bans.

The possibility of obtaining any other Swedish snus is pretty dim, but at this point it's hard to draw a definite yes or no answer. The outlook by most in the snus community is pretty bleak, though.

Last edited:
Smokers will start stockpiling their favorite brands before the formulas change, and a "vintage" carton of cigarettes will become as desirable as a rare bottle of wine or an antique razor.

They might have to find a method for storing those vintage cigs first. I once bought a vintage pack for the pack, not the actual cigarettes, but tried one cig on a lark. At ~30 years old it was horrible.

They might have to find a method for storing those vintage cigs first. I once bought a vintage pack for the pack, not the actual cigarettes, but tried one cig on a lark. At ~30 years old it was horrible.

You tried a vintage Lark on a lark.

Top Bottom