What's new

Another shaving experience at AOS in vegas

So I was in Las Vegas this last weekend with a few friends, gambling, eating, looking at things :wink2: I was planning on getting a shave at the truefitt & hill shop but when I called them they said it was $75 for a shave. Since I had not been doing so well at the tables, that was seemed a bit steep. I called AOS to see what their rates were and they had a traditional shave for $35 and a shave+facial mask for $55. Since I didn't want a facial $35 sounded ok.

My friends went to the Irish pub across from AOS while I went in for my shave.
I checked in and they said you wanted the royal shave right?...no, just the traditional thank you (since that's what I had told them when I made my reservation...) they introduced me to the barber who proceed to look me up and down, then asked "how do you shave normally?" I asked if he meant what equipment do I use? and said I shaved with a DE normally and used a straight on weekends when I have some time to myself, why do you ask? He told me that I looked like I had sensitive skin and might get some redness so I should consider the royal shave :sneaky2: I told him no my skin is pretty sturdy and I don't normally get irritation so the regular shave will be just fine, thanks.

The shave started out nice, hot scented towel for 5 minutes then he slathered a bunch of pre-shave oil on my face followed by shaving cream. I was a little disappointed that they don't use a brush, I guess for hygiene reasons. Also they used the unscented AOS cream which was nice but a bit of smell would have been nicer :001_smile.

They use a disposable blade straight, not sure what the blade is but i'd guess feathers? The first pass was ok, he was going super fast and using a lot more pressure than I would think was good. It went mostly with the grain on my face and somewhat across the grain on my neck since my hair grows out towards my ears on my neck. also he went across the grain on my mustache which i thought was weird...
overall it was ok, didn't feel any mistakes or spot that would be red.

The whole time he was telling me how I should upgrade to the royal shave. The mask cleanses and detoxifies and reduces redness and irritation...I told him that I don't care about the detoxifying and you're going to put aftershave on right? that'll take care of redness. Man they must have a mandate from corporate to push the royal shave...

Then came pass number 2! he re-oiled me and then re-lathered me, and went against the grain. I was thinking of telling him I have a tough beard and can't jump straight to ATG on the second pass, but he's the pro so lets see how he does, right? I felt a ton of tugging and scraping and a few times I felt the sting of spots that would be weepers. I thought, that's ok I don't mind 1 or 2 weepers, I get them myself.
About halfway through he stops and goes to get the other barbers. This can't be good, I thought. They stand around consulting with each other: I'd pull his skin up like this and go real easy in this direction, maybe try going down on this side, really gently, I wouldn't go ATG on him it's not going to work well on him... At this point I'm thinking I'm in trouble. He finishes out the shave and I can feel blood running down my neck and my face is burning. He puts the cold towel on my face for a few minutes and when he takes it off...it's completely RED :cursing: Plus to top things off he noticed he missed a bunch of spots and gets out the gillette fusion to touch me up! :scared:

he barber says he's going to give me the full royal shave at no cost since the mask will help with the bleeding. I suspect that they didn't want a guy walking out of the AOS shop with blood running down his face and the mask will give me some time to heal.
So after he does the mask and some rose hydrosol or something followed by AOS balm, he sits me up and tells me I have the toughest beard he's ever shaved in all his years of shaving, by far.
The checkout lady tells my while I'm paying, that the barber recommends that you get the royal shave next time since it'll help with the irritation you'll get with such a tough beard. :blink: I restrain myself from telling her that maybe he should be a bit less cocky and improve his technique and I wouldn't be bleeding to begin with, and there won't be a next time so don't worry...
When I got back to the hotel I saw I had maybe 5 red irritated scabbed weeper spots, a nice big nick on my adams apple, some red scrape lines down my neck and already 4 or 5 ingrown hairs! It's two days later and my face still hurts...

So it was not a pleasant experience. Though I was not completely disappointed. My main reason for going was that I struggle with straight shaving myself and I wanted to see how a professional barber fared. I was hoping to see if I just suck at it and maybe could pick up some pointers. At least I know now that I have a very difficult beard to shave and that I don't suck with the straight...

I was in Las Vegas the fist week of june for my birthday and I went for a shave at the same place. I did get the royal shave, but my experience with them was the total opposite of yours. I had one of the best shaves of my life is was very relaxing came out felling like a million bucks and would definitely go back. sorry to hear yours came out that way.

Wow, that sucks. The wife was in Vegas for an accounting class and walked by the AOS shop, she was pretty excited about them giving str8 shaves and said the next time we were there she would treat me to a shave. Now I think I'll just take my own and do my self. Did you get the guys name and did you give him a big tip? :001_smile :sneaky2:

No I forgot his name, sam maybe? He was an older black man. I gave him $5 tip. I don't blame him, the first pass was good. I get weepers a lot myself. I have a very thick beard and a very angular face with lots of divits and edges. I can shave it ok myself but that's only after years of practise. I doubt I could shave someone else's face very well...

At least I know now that I have a very difficult beard to shave and that I don't suck with the straight...

Sounds more like him than you. I've read other accounts where the barber ran their hands over the beard to get a feel for the grain before taking up the razor. Sorry you got a raw deal.

Sounds more like him than you. I've read other accounts where the barber ran their hands over the beard to get a feel for the grain before taking up the razor. Sorry you got a raw deal.

Could be. He did massage pre-shave oil in so could have been feeling the grain then. And the other barbers were talking about going against the grain so it seems like they were taking note of hair growth...no way to know how good his skills are I guess.

That's a bummer. I fear that those AOS shops offering a shave have pressed into service some people who are not really practiced in "the art of shaving" another man's face. I think the true blade artists are tough to find.

They're relying on their product - which is very good - to compensate for the skills of the shaver.

Not positive but I would guess the Royal Shave ends with their mud mask which is a great product. But I don't think it was going make up for what sounds like limited skills. I don't flog many products, but using their mud mask once a week leaves you facing looking and feeling phenomenal. You have to go through 10 minutes or so of looking like you're in a "spa" and should be reading Better Homes and Gardens, but the result is worth it. Kinda pricey though. But should not be used frequently.

Everytime I used it, my ex GF noticed right away.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I speak to a lot of professional barbers and most if not all agree that it takes years to be able to straight shave the average customer well. When you shave yourself, eventually you learn to the navigate your difficult spots and get use to your skin type. When you shave others, it's different every time. Takes a real pro to consistently shave others well. I have really come to respect good barbering, it's a true art.

Damn. Sorry bud. That sucks. I have heard excellent feedback time and time again from the Vegas T&H shaves. Maybe win at the tables next time and go there? ;]

Guess I have to start up my T&H fund before I go to Vegas next. I'll try and get to the AoS salon out here and let you know if it's a similar experience.

Sounds like it was his first week on the job maybe???He says "Your the toughest beard I have ever shaved", maybe he means, "this is the 3rd shave Ive ever given" lol

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I speak to a lot of professional barbers and most if not all agree that it takes years to be able to straight shave the average customer well. When you shave yourself, eventually you learn to the navigate your difficult spots and get use to your skin type. When you shave others, it's different every time. Takes a real pro to consistently shave others well. I have really come to respect good barbering, it's a true art.

In a couple of years here, I've seen some good and and experiences recounted about going to a barber for a shave. The bad outweigh the good.

I had always read prior to joining this crew that the average man can give himself a better shave than a barber as a rule. Most guys who have been here for a couple of hundred posts and paying attention to their shaves are probably going to give themselves a better shave than even a pretty good barber IMO. We've all got some spots that time teaches us to finesse.

That's a bummer. I fear that those AOS shops offering a shave have pressed into service some people who are not really practiced in "the art of shaving" another man's face. I think the true blade artists are tough to find.
i totally have the same fear.. although i fear it goes deeper than that and that they probably don't even know how to straight shave well at all.

They're relying on their product - which is very good - to compensate for the skills of the shaver.
is any product that good?

Not positive but I would guess the Royal Shave ends with their mud mask which is a great product. But I don't think it was going make up for what sounds like limited skills. I don't flog many products, but using their mud mask once a week leaves you facing looking and feeling phenomenal. ...Kinda pricey though. But should not be used frequently.

you are maybe the 2nd person other than myself to review this mask on shaving forum that i have found and everyone seems to agree... although the barber at the Roosevelt Field, LI shop claimed his mask wasn't the same as the after shave mask they sell. I don't really know why he said it as i would think he would get something for getting a sale ( i presume that it works like that).

I'm surprised that they bothered to charge you for this.

Can you get the barber's name for future reference?

I'm surprised that they bothered to charge you for this.

Can you get the barber's name for future reference?

Yes I thought they would have done it at no charge or half off. they did upgrade me to the royal shave for free so I guess they figured that was sufficient. I probably could have gotten out without paying if I had made a stink but I felt sorry for the guy, he got in a knife fight with my beard and my beard won...

i suppose I could call the store and ask who I was scheduled with...I tried looking online and I didn't see any list of barbers. I'll post it up if I find out.

you are maybe the 2nd person other than myself to review this mask on shaving forum that i have found and everyone seems to agree... although the barber at the Roosevelt Field, LI shop claimed his mask wasn't the same as the after shave mask they sell. I don't really know why he said it as i would think he would get something for getting a sale ( i presume that it works like that).

If I understand correctly, when in shop for a shave, they hand mix the mud just prior to application. If you use it at home, I'm sure you notice it comes in those weird little jars that are a bear to open. I guess that odd packaging is the best way they can come close to the in store formula. Can't say I know why that is.

There's a company called Vitaman that's makes a mask that's as good IMO. Quite similar. I would almost wonder if they just ripped off AoS. Comes in a tube and offers more applications for less money.

I think mud masks cross a line for a lot of guys. But the results are outstanding and noticeable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom