What's new

Another semi-Newbie check-in.

I'm returning to the wet shaving side after a long hiatus due to my growing a beard for the past several years. I was doing touch-up shaves of the beard with a multi-razor dry for the longest time. As I didn't have too large of an area I needed to shave. I did use shaving cream after some point and then switched back to Fairhope soap company Shaving Soap I had on the counter for a while. I decided to shave the bulk of the beard a month or so ago. Left a mustache and goatee like I sported for many years.

When I decided to get back into wet shaving I couldn't locate my DE razor and other soaps. I divorced and moved a few times since my wet shaving days started. Stuff gets packed, my new wife "organizes" differently than I do and it disappears. When I shaved before, I would slice my face all up. I don't know what razor I had before. It wasn't an expensive one nor adjustable. It did have a butterfly top. A fond memory of my dad's razor.

I do recall from my wet shaving days of yore that I tended to get nicks and cuts almost every shave. I'm guessing I had an aggressive razor. I remember Feather razors sliced me up the most. I did not use any preshave oil or sticks. Just a hot cloth and or bath, some wet shave soap or cream a brush.

Fast forward to a month or so ago when I shaved the beard off. I used a Dollar Shave Club razor at first with the Fairhope Soap Company Shaving Soap. I felt the blade didn't keep its sharpness past a few days which got me digging for my Safty Razor. No luck in finding it. I had been receiving ads in my GMail for a while from Henson Shaving Company. I researched it some and decided to pull the trigger, I got the AL-13 Mild variant.

The first shave was very good, with no nicks or burns. I did three passes. WTG, XTG, and semi-ATG. I did not get BBS, I decided not to chase that when first starting off. Semi-atg as I don't chance ATG on the neck area. This razor must be milder than the other one I had, as I don't cut myself up like before. I am on day 4 of the blade. I did nic myself yesterday, but nothing like before when I'd bleed quite a bit.

What started off with trying to find my safety razor has led to two more coming in, with soaps, shaving creams, blades, and shave oil thanks to some Youtube channels. I have a Rockwell 6c coming in as well as a Twig Leaf. Looks like I need to clean off my counter for the new razors to have a proper place.

I have much improvement to do, but so far I am getting some very good shaves. Still some stubble but it will get better. I have an issue with the neck getting a close enough shave without ATG. Today I got brave enough to do ATG on the neck, no cuts, but it was somewhat irritated and the alum block did sting more in the area. I did focus more on light touch and allowing the blade to do the work today. Anyway, it's a journey.

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B @cajunrph ! Glad your diving back in and sounds like you're doing better than ever before. Henson razors are relatively new and I don't have any experience with them but they are getting a big following and folks seem to really like them. I'll hold off on a Leaf until I need to start shaving my head... The 6c is a fun razor to play with some different blade gaps.

You're already falling into some rabbit holes. Proceed with eyes wide open.

Happy shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome back to wet shaving and a warm welcome to the B&B community. I found B&B after watching a few YouTube videos too. I've learned far more here than I did, even though I did find some good people on YouTube, along with a few hmmmmmm let me put it this way: Some of those "experts" do demos with almost no visible whiskers.

Welcome. 🙂

You chose a safe return-to-DE-shaving razor. The geometry of the Henson will force you to maintain a correct shaving angle. If you don't, it won't shave but neither will it bite you.

My only piece of advice would be:

Don't let your new wife "organize" your new razors. 😄

I'm returning to the wet shaving side after a long hiatus due to my growing a beard for the past several years. I was doing touch-up shaves of the beard with a multi-razor dry for the longest time. As I didn't have too large of an area I needed to shave. I did use shaving cream after some point and then switched back to Fairhope soap company Shaving Soap I had on the counter for a while. I decided to shave the bulk of the beard a month or so ago. Left a mustache and goatee like I sported for many years.

When I decided to get back into wet shaving I couldn't locate my DE razor and other soaps. I divorced and moved a few times since my wet shaving days started. Stuff gets packed, my new wife "organizes" differently than I do and it disappears. When I shaved before, I would slice my face all up. I don't know what razor I had before. It wasn't an expensive one nor adjustable. It did have a butterfly top. A fond memory of my dad's razor.

I do recall from my wet shaving days of yore that I tended to get nicks and cuts almost every shave. I'm guessing I had an aggressive razor. I remember Feather razors sliced me up the most. I did not use any preshave oil or sticks. Just a hot cloth and or bath, some wet shave soap or cream a brush.

Fast forward to a month or so ago when I shaved the beard off. I used a Dollar Shave Club razor at first with the Fairhope Soap Company Shaving Soap. I felt the blade didn't keep its sharpness past a few days which got me digging for my Safty Razor. No luck in finding it. I had been receiving ads in my GMail for a while from Henson Shaving Company. I researched it some and decided to pull the trigger, I got the AL-13 Mild variant.

The first shave was very good, with no nicks or burns. I did three passes. WTG, XTG, and semi-ATG. I did not get BBS, I decided not to chase that when first starting off. Semi-atg as I don't chance ATG on the neck area. This razor must be milder than the other one I had, as I don't cut myself up like before. I am on day 4 of the blade. I did nic myself yesterday, but nothing like before when I'd bleed quite a bit.

What started off with trying to find my safety razor has led to two more coming in, with soaps, shaving creams, blades, and shave oil thanks to some Youtube channels. I have a Rockwell 6c coming in as well as a Twig Leaf. Looks like I need to clean off my counter for the new razors to have a proper place.

I have much improvement to do, but so far I am getting some very good shaves. Still some stubble but it will get better. I have an issue with the neck getting a close enough shave without ATG. Today I got brave enough to do ATG on the neck, no cuts, but it was somewhat irritated and the alum block did sting more in the area. I did focus more on light touch and allowing the blade to do the work today. Anyway, it's a journey.
Glad to hear you’re back in the game. I love DE shaving and despite having intermittent issues, it’s a great way to clean up and start the day. Feather blades are my favorite, but they aren’t for everyone. Because of my reactive skin, I don’t go for BBS, but I like feather as they are efficient and I never feel like I’m pulling. However, you have to stick with what works for you.

Cmon in, the waters great!

Before you spend another dollar on a razor, get a FOCS! Fatip Open Comb Slant. It is amazing, and I have yet to cut myself. A luxury shave. Just make sure to shave in the direction of the handle, not the razor head.

And maybe try to find a 1930s Gillette New Short Comb. Much cheaper than a Wolfman, and many like it just as much. It hold the blade like a vice!

Top Bottom