What's new

Another Newbie

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while now and appreciate all of the knowledge that you are all so willing to share. I have already been able to use some of that knowledge to convert one of my most dreaded daily rituals into something I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

A quick history:

After learning about wetshaving in April I quickly went out and bought a cheapo brush and soap from my local Shopper's Drug Mart (I'm Canadian eh). My father happened to be vacationing in India at the time and knowing that my Indian grandfathers have been wetshaving for decades, I asked him to pick up some shaving supplies for me. He ended up grabbing some blades and safety razors sold under the "Gillette 7O'Clock" brand name. Unfortunately, the razors are plastic, the blades lose their edge after 2-3 shaves and the lot was just not quite what I was hoping for. However, I have been shaving with this pre-starter kit for 5 months now (the soap has long been replaced by C&E sweet almond oil cream) and the results have left me no choice but to pursue this hobby/lifestyle.

So, I guess this brings me to my plea for help. I have long decided that a Merkur HD will be my first true DE razor (seems to be a consensus pick). What I cannot decide on is an upgraded brush. While I have nothing to compare my current drug-store brush too with regards to softness/prickliness and size, one thing that absolutely bugs the heck out of me is its tendency to act like a painting brush when full of lather. It loses its shape and basically caves when it touches my face. I have been looking at the Savile Row Super series of brushes and the SR-208 seems to be a brush that is towards the upper end of my budget (Not only am I Canadian, I am a student...). Would a brush in this series be better suited to my needs? I am not opposed to spending more money if it means getting something a little firmer but I really have no understanding of what floppy and firm mean when discussing high quality brushes.

Thanks again for all of your help and for introducing me to this world.

Shay

Shay, welcome!

The Savile Row line is an excellent line of brushes. The '208 should work well for you.

--Mark

Welcome Shay! That Savile Row brush is excellent, I've been meaning to get my hands on one. anyway, welcome to B&B, let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Wow. Thanks so very much for the warm welcome.

I really wish I could pick up the B&B Brush, unfortunately it is just out of my price range at the moment. I think I am going to give QED a call right now and pick up one of those Savile Row brushes. I may as well start somewhere...if it doesn't work for me, I will just have to pick up another one.

I think I am going to like it here.

Thanks,

Shay

Shay,

First off, welcome!

I'll tell you that I am in the EXACT same situation as you are (quasi-broke student in Canada). I got the HD, a tub of Taylor's avocado and a SR-204 brush from QED. You are on the right track ordering from QED, as he only charges for shipping (no handling), eg. you only pay what the post office charges.

Shipping was $6 US for the 3 items I mentioned.

As for the brush, the Savile Row super badgers are very soft. Despite the 204 being my first ever brush, I've felt other brushes and they were stiffer, except for the ultra expensive over $200 brushes I saw at Ogilvy Montreal.

If you like bigger brushes, the 208 should be great for you. If you like soft ones, then SR super's are great as a starter's brush.

Jimmy

PS: I've noticed that the C&E creams are more expensive per volume (or weight) in the glass tub than in the the tube. So watch out for that!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
All hope abandon, ye who enter here!

Welcome aboard, and you'll find some great advice and terrific folks in here.

Top Bottom