What's new

Another newbie walking down the not-so-straight road.

I would love to shave with a straight. I currently use a feather ac and get irritation free shaves. The thing I like the most about it is how easy it is to change the blade and get a shave ready razor. Obviously.
But it is time to put the bladeholders on hold and get a real straight. The problem is that I do not have the time, patience, money, interest, etc to learn to hone them. So what are my alternatives?
Basically,
How long does a straight keep its sharp edge if honed by a good honemeister? Where can I get the paddle strops?

A well honed straight razor with proper care and good stropping for can last a couple months maybe 3 depending on your beard.

Tony Miller HERE has excellent paddle stops and can paste them for you as well!

A well honed straight razor with proper care and good stropping for can last a couple months maybe 3 depending on your beard.

Tony Miller HERE has excellent paddle stops and can paste them for you as well!

Looks like they are out of stock... Is he going to produce more?
And which razors maintain a good edge the longest?

All of the above suggestions are true.

A stainless seems to hold it's edge pretty long. Combine that with a pasted paddle strop (those actually sort of hone the edge)

And you've got a razor that might hold it's edge up to maybe 6 months. POssibly longer. Eventually though it would have to be rehoned.

Place an order with Tony Miller. He might not have something in stock but he'll produce some more stuff in time. Ask him about pastes. He'll be able to help you much better than I can.

Disclaimer:
Please note I said "might" in all occurances. I do not know for sure as I've never tested such a thing.

And even then irregardless of past results, future results may vary.

Thank you for your help people. Other than vintage-preowned, where can I find the cheapest SS Shave Ready razor?

You say you don't have the time money interest and all that to learn to hone and want alternatives. I respectfully would suggest you have already found them. Continue to use the feather. If you are getting good results and like using it and don't want the hassles why use a straight? Using a straight means learning a definite skill set and honing is one of them. Are you going to send the razor out every time it needs honing? What if you nick the edge on something? A pasted strop is a short term solution but you have to learn to use that too. I'm not trying to dissuade you but just make you realize there are really no short cuts to straight shaving.

Are you going to send the razor out every time it needs honing?
If it needs honing every six months I would definitely do that. If I were an M3 user I'd have to pay around 12 dls. a month. After the initial expense of razor + strop, honing it every 6 months will cost around 5 dls per month including shipping. Another thing to consider is that this will not be my primary razor. I still use my M3, HD, Slant and Feather regularly. My grandpa* once told me that back in the day, not everybody knew how to hone a razor and good honemeiters (blacksmiths) provided the noble service of sharpening your razors. I just do not see why do you have to make all the expense and learning upfront. No ofense taken but not buying a Str8 because I do not know how to hone it is like not buying a car because I do not know how to change the tires, oils, breaks, etc **

*It just hit me I do not have grandfathers anymore. The last one died recently. :001_unsur:crying:
**I do know how to do all that.

Actually the car analogy doesn't fit because those are things few people do, they go to a mechanic. Its more like learning to fly a plane forgetting you also need to learn to use the radio and proper radio proceedure, know how to get around the airport taxiways, navigate, use a GPS, learn how to do instrument approaches and all that.

You certainly don't have to buy everything upfront and you don't need to buy top of the line gear either. Eventually you will need to buy and learn to use hones. Its really a hassel sending the stuff out all the time and as this things gets more popular waiting times can increase before you get your razor back. Back in the old days you could take your razor down to your local barber who would hone it for you, you can't do that anymore. Also consider not everyone can go for months between touchups or honings. Some can and some need touchups every 10-15 shaves. You'll have to see how you fit into that continuum.

You'll have to see how you fit into that continuum.
Exactly, and your previous post is just telling me to not even give a straight an opportunity. If it is too expensive to send out the razor or if it takes to long to return from the honemeister then I will have to learn to use a hone. I am on the post office every month or so so I it is not an extra hassle for me.
Maybe 3 years down the road I will get a hone. Maybe I do not even like str8 shaving, maybe RAD bites me and I will have to learn to sharpen my razors, maybe the increase in popularity will make honing services more available. All this is hypothetical and speculation. My curiosity is too strong to make me wait until I have all the equipment ready. All I am asking is how can I get a shave with a straight razor that requires the least amount of maintenance.

So far I have learned
1. A Paddle strop is not a replacement for a honing stone.
2. Stainless Steel holds its sharp edge longer.

And I am still askig for
a. Brands of SS you would recommend?
b. Which is the best thread on Paddle Strops? Where to buy them?

Do I have to paste them myself or if they come with the grit already on them. That is, do y need to buy the paste + the paddle? or is it included?

Top Bottom