What's new

Another AR 10 Build Brewing

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Optics Planet has some Aero Precision parts on sale, so I snagged an M5 upper receiver and an M5 Atlas handguard. Looking to build a .308/7.62 carbine. Undecided on barrel length. This will not be a long range rig, so on the short side, but not SBR. Looks like at least some 16 in. barrels have a 1:11.25 twist, don't think I want that, so leaning towards an 18 in. barrel with a 1:10 in. twist. I certainly have a while to contemplate all the other components.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not sure about the barrel, I like the Wilson Combat fluted Super Sniper series. This gun will be a multi-purpose carbine suitable for hunting, short to medium range competition, HD, etc. Possibly with an additional caliber/upper, eventually?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Of course, there's the LPVO to consider! I think I need to up my game over the Shepherds I've used.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Aero Precision also has a sale, so order placed for the lower receiver and BCG.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While I like the MFT Battlelink Minimalist stock I've used on a .223 build, I'm considering a Magpul ACS-L stock, still light weight, but perhaps more comfortable with a .308 carbine? Open to suggestions here, those who have fired an AR10 carbine in .308 feel free to chime in. I'll start off with a LaRue trigger, I don't think I want a really light target trigger on this gun, very satisfied with my LaRue on my .223 carbine and I have one on hand already. I think I will use another Ergo Tactical Deluxe fat grip.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While I like the MFT Battlelink Minimalist stock I've used on a .223 build, I'm considering a Magpul ACS-L stock, still light weight, but perhaps more comfortable with a .308 carbine? Open to suggestions here, those who have fired an AR10 carbine in .308 feel free to chime in. I'll start off with a LaRue trigger, I don't think I want a really light target trigger on this gun, very satisfied with my LaRue on my .223 carbine and I have one on hand already. I think I will use another Ergo Tactical Deluxe fat grip.

One doesn’t necessarily need to go lightweight with the stock on an AR-10.

You won’t be running and gunning with it and a bit heavier stock like the ones above will provide better overall balance for the heavier front heaviness from that .308 barrel and will provide a more solid cheek rest and feel. Especially in the smaller carbine type configuration you are considering.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , so looking at Magpul website, the STR is 12.3 oz. and 2.6 in. wide, the ACS-L is 12.5 oz and 2.2in.wide and the ACS is 14.1 oz. and 2.5 in. wide. The ACS is looking good. The EMOD Vltor, IF available is kind pricy in comparison. The EMOD is 14 oz., dunno about the width.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , so looking at Magpul website, the STR is 12.3 oz. and 2.6 in. wide, the ACS-L is 12.5 oz and 2.2in.wide and the ACS is 14.1 oz. and 2.5 in. wide. The ACS is looking good. The EMOD Vltor, IF available is kind pricy in comparison. The EMOD is 14 oz., dunno about the width.

Sometimes, ya get what you pay for. :)

ACS is ok too.

OkieStubble

No doubt, you know me, I usually don't go cheap, but sometimes I'm impatient!

The VLTOR EMOD is probably the best choice in what you are looking for. It checks the most boxes. It is what I would probably get for a full sized AR-10 with a 20" or longer barrel.

Since you are going carbine and 18", The STR by Magpul is still quite heavy at 12 oz, but not the absolute "heaviest", since yours will still be a shorter barrled carbine, and some mobility is still a viable interest. You can find it on Brownells for $75.

For a short carbine with .308 recoil, control, especially for faster follow up shots with a hard hitting caliber, will very much depend on how much, your shoulder and cheek will make contact with that stock.

STR versus CTR

1640913136377.png

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for your input. Interesting that a reviewer of the EMOD on Optics Planet compares it as "going head-to-head " with the ACS.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble OK, you sold (enabled, once again) me on the EMOD. But it will be a back ordered item because of my color choice of Foliage Green. I hope it doesn't clash with OD green components. Parts should start trickling in within the week. Placed an order for the Wilson 18 in. SS barrel and sprung for an OD coating. OD Ergo fat grip ordered as well.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble OK, you sold (enabled, once again) me on the EMOD. But it will be a back ordered item because of my color choice of Foliage Green. I hope it doesn't clash with OD green components. Parts should start trickling in within the week. Placed an order for the Wilson 18 in. SS barrel and sprung for an OD coating. OD Ergo fat grip ordered as well.

I don’t think the color of an FG stock would vibe well with an ODG colored rifle?

The ACS or STR would do fine in ODG. Why can’t an EMOD be found in ODG?

edit: we’ll, looking at the VLTOR site, their FG looks kinda OD to me? :)

Top Bottom