What's new

Annoying spots!

I’ve noticed that I regularly get a series of 2 or 3 small spots in a row going across my cheek about mid-way down. They are pretty small and aren’t in-grown hairs because I can see the hair quite clearly. They are more a sort of irritated follicle. If I squeeze them they do get better but also get bigger! Leaving them they just sit there for weeks. They don’t itch or hurt.

I have experimented with going back to my old cartridge system but still using the same products and they do go away after a few days. This has led me to suppose that they may be a result of the shorter strokes I use with a DE. They are about the same place where the second line of strokes going across my cheek would meet with the line above. I am thinking they are a result of the odd hair getting tweaked as the razor hits or leave my face. I think I get rid of them using the cartridge because I take longer strokes, the blade angle is more repeatable, the blades are not in contact with the skin and the multiple blades mean that there isn’t a single point or line where the blades attack the hairs. They are also more prevalent on the left of my face which could be due to a different blade angle from using my right hand on left side of face compared to right on right.

I use the Nivea sensitive face wash each night

Does anyone else get this? I’m getting rid of the most recent outbreak of 3 on my left cheek. I rarely get any other types of irritation so if I could conquer this one I’m home free.

Just for reference, set up is:

Merkur HD
Astra blades
Omega Boar
Proraso Green soap in tub
Proraso AS splash

Alternate cartridge is Schick Quattro.

Cheers.

The first thing I'd check is my blade angle and if I'm using any pressure. After that I'd at least have it checked out by a dermatologist. It could be a simple thing, but you'd rule out any serious problem, and I'm sure the Dr. could advise you how to proceed. Good luck:shaving::wheelchair:.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Try making a little longer stroke there. I know everyone says take short strokes with a DE, but that is after all, generic info. What works for one doesn't work for all. Try longer strokes and see if you can eliminate that lifting / starting line. I personally make single strokes from top of cheekbone to jawline, top to bottom and have no problem with it at all.

G

gone down south

Check the direction of growth there, you could have a few stray hairs going off at an angle. If so, you're shaving them xtg or maybe even atg without realizing it.

All good things to check above. I'll add that you want to be certain that there's always lather over the area you're shaving. Good luck!

What is your face cleaning regimen after the shave? I find that the whole hot water/lather/prep routine opens up the pores very effectively, and if you simply wash your face with warm water afterwards and apply ASB, it can result in some whitehead spots. If you do a cold water rinse after the shave, it will close the pores, and then you can apply ASB.

Top Bottom